Official Practice Starts Today

Yeah I’m pretty surprised Cole isn’t in the top 7. Also surprised Northweather couldn’t crack the top 9. Two recruiting misses I guess.
You’re surprised a redshirt freshmen coming off a blown knee isn’t top 7? With 8 seniors on the roster.

Can’t fix unrealistic fans. You’re out of touch with reality. Which I am not surprised

You’re surprised a redshirt freshmen coming off a blown knee isn’t top 7? With 8 seniors on the roster.

Can’t fix unrealistic fans. You’re out of touch with reality. Which I am not surprised
It's unrealistic to think we should have one contributing high school recruit from the past three years? And his knee injury was two years ago. How long will that excuse last? And what about mighty Luke? All these guys you and others talk about to hype Moser's high school recruiting, and it looks like none will get minutes for a program that isn't exactly stocked with talent. It's not like they are stuck behind NBA guys.

Absolutely. He’s had a year to develop in the system vs dudes who just stepped foot on campus. I DO expect him to be in the rotation. Remember: I never said starter.

Now, I hope things change. Maybe he’ll be a baller. I would love that.

It's unrealistic to think we should have one contributing high school recruit from the past three years? And his knee injury was two years ago. How long will that excuse last? And what about mighty Luke? All these guys you and others talk about to hype Moser's high school recruiting, and it looks like none will get minutes for a program that isn't exactly stocked with talent. It's not like they are stuck behind NBA guys.
This. Hopefully Fears pans out and sticks around.

Absolutely. He’s had a year to develop in the system vs dudes who just stepped foot on campus. I DO expect him to be in the rotation. Remember: I never said starter.

Now, I hope things change. Maybe he’ll be a baller. I would love that.
Times are changing. Look at another program like Kansas. I would assume we all agree that Kansas recruits better than OU on a regular basis and yet 3 of the top guys for them this year that they are looking to carry the load scoring wise are transfers from other programs:

Dickinson- Michigan
Storr- St. John's-Wisconsin
Mayo- South Dakota St.

They brought in bench help from other programs as well due to recruiting "misses" as you guys are calling them:

Shakeel Moore- NC State-Miss St.
Rylan Griffen- Alabama
David Coit- Northern Illinois
Noah Shelby- Vanderbilt-Rice
Justin Cross- John A. Logan College

I mean that's EIGHT guys right there that Kansas felt they had to bring in as transfers to help reload their program in the last couple of years.

Recruiting always has had its hits and misses but if anyone out there in today's world thinks players and/or teams are going to sit around for 2-4 years for development/playing time on a regular basis are just not with the times.

Let's call it what it is, Free agency in sports is alive and well and most recruiting classes at this point seem to only have 1-3 guys that will stick around and see how it plays out for more than 2 years for pretty much any program. See some of the guys listed above that have transferred more than once. It's just the way of the college sports world at this point.

Times are changing. Look at another program like Kansas. I would assume we all agree that Kansas recruits better than OU on a regular basis and yet 3 of the top guys for them this year that they are looking to carry the load scoring wise are transfers from other programs:

Dickinson- Michigan
Mayo- South Dakota St.

They brought in bench help from other programs as well due to recruiting "misses" as you guys are calling them:

Rylan Griffen- Alabama

I mean that's EIGHT guys right there that Kansas felt they had to bring in as transfers to help reload their program in the last couple of years.

Recruiting always has had its hits and misses but if anyone out there in today's world thinks players and/or teams are going to sit around for 2-4 years for development/playing time on a regular basis are just not with the times.

Let's call it what it is, Free agency in sports is alive and well and most recruiting classes at this point seem to only have 1-3 guys that will stick around and see how it plays out for more than 2 years for pretty much any program. See some of the guys listed above that have transferred more than once. It's just the way of the college sports world at this point.
Fair points. But I would be super interested to see Kansas’ projected top seven and see how many hs recruits vs transfers there are.

Dickinson- Michigan
Mayo- South Dakota St.

Rylan Griffen- Alabama

They also have Harris and Adams who have been starters and key cogs for them for many years, and helped with them a natty. Other high school recruits (Gradey Dick, Johnny Furphy) are no longer there because they were one-and-done. So they have gotten big contributions from several high school guys.

We all know that no team is going to be fully stocked with guys who stay for 4 years. But the numbers (which T Evans have posted) show that our attrition is among the worst. A large part of that is that the high school recruits either simply aren't good enough to make an impact, or they leave for greener pastures.

Fair points. But I would be super interested to see Kansas’ projected top seven and see how many hs recruits vs transfers there are.
Projected starting lineup:

PG - DaJuan Harris
SG - Rylan Griffen (transfer)
SF - AJ Storr (transfer)
PF - KJ Adams
C - Hunter Dickinson (transfer)

Bench contributor: Zeke Mayo - (transfer)

Not finding much on 7 or 9 deep, so this will have to do for now. (open to other articles btw)

Link: SI on KU basketball contributors

I have zero clue how close he is or will be but from an article from cbssportsline he has the following list:

Starters:

Harris- HS recruit- GR
Mayo- South Dakota St transfer- SR
Griffen- Alabama transfer- JR
Adams- HS recruit- SR
Dickinson- Michigan transfer- GR

Bench:

Storr- Wisconsin transfer- JR
Bidunga- HS recruit- FR
McDowell- HS recruit- SO
Moore- Miss St. transfer--GR

So out of the top 9 he lists, 4 of them are HS recruits and only 2 from the past 3-4 classes. As Wichita pointed out, they've had some one and dones but even Furphy blew up out of no where and that team finished 23-11 which is a bad year for KU.

Comparing Ku hs recruits to ours is next level as well. We rarely recruit the same kids. So sure their 1-dones are df than our hs kids.

The Clown show continues

So does your extreme arrogance. We get it. You know better because you coach a small high school.
My point is more that Self (and other college coaches) can now replace or fill those one and done guys with a senior from another college compared to having to hope a HS recruit blossoms like Furphy did. He added another one or two for this season when Jackson was deemed done for this upcoming season.

So does your extreme arrogance. We get it. You know better because you coach a small high school.

LOL. Never said I knew better. KU and OU rarely recruit same kids. Saying J Cole is expected to be behind a 24 year super senior isnt arrogance.

Projected starting lineup:

PG - DaJuan Harris
SG - Rylan Griffen (transfer)
SF - AJ Storr (transfer)
PF - KJ Adams
C - Hunter Dickinson (transfer)

Bench contributor: Zeke Mayo - (transfer)

Not finding much on 7 or 9 deep, so this will have to do for now. (open to other articles btw)

Link: SI on KU basketball contributors
Just for fun given the argument, I checked KU's roster and this is the breakdown class wise of scholarship athletes:

2- Freshmen
2- Sophomores
4- Juniors
3- Seniors
3- Grs

They have FOUR underclassmen and one of them (Jackson) can't play this season due to injury. Clemence, Adams and Harris are the only 3 (out of 10) upper classmen that play that were recruited and signed by KU.

LOL. Never said I knew better. KU and OU rarely recruit same kids. Saying J Cole is expected to be behind a 24 year super senior isnt arrogance.
We brought in a bunch of low and mid major transfers. It isn't unreasonable to say that it isn't a great sign for our program if none of the high school kids Moser has signed over the past three years, with (hopefully) the exception of Fears, are able to beat out guys like that. Again, for much of the past year, the single biggest thing a lot of people have used to defend Moser has been the alleged quality of his high school recruiting. Several of those guys are gone (Los, Oweh, Cooper). Some are on the roster but not expected to crack the top 9 on a team picked near the bottom of its league yet again. So, yes, I would say it is disconcerting that we can't recruit and/or develop players good enough to play ahead of transfers who, in most cases, weren't highly coveted in the portal.

Just for fun given the argument, I checked KU's roster and this is the breakdown class wise of scholarship athletes:

2- Freshmen
2- Sophomores
4- Juniors
3- Seniors
3- Grs

They have FOUR underclassmen and one of them (Jackson) can't play this season due to injury. Clemence, Adams and Harris are the only 3 (out of 10) upper classmen that play that were recruited and signed by KU.
If we end up with two kids who start and thrive for four years like Harris and Adams, I will be thrilled. As of now, we can't even keep guys on campus for more than a couple years, let alone playing major roles.

If we end up with two kids who start and thrive for four years like Harris and Adams, I will be thrilled. As of now, we can't even keep guys on campus for more than a couple years, let alone playing major roles.
Stats from Fr year for both:

Adams-
GP- 37
GS- 1
Avg- 4.8 mins per game
Rbs- 30
Rb/gm- 0.8
Pts- 38
Avg- 1.0/gm

Harris-
GP- 30
GS-2
Avg- 16.1 mins per game
Ast- 65
Ast/G- 2.2
Pts- 71
Avg- 2.4/gm

IF those were guys at OU, people would be SCREAMING that they were busts and in today's world they would be wanting them to transfer.

Back