Fouls

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Anyone watching the Duke game? Virginia Tech player just hit a shot to take the lead with 13 seconds left. As he turned to celebrate on his way back down court, he pumped his fist and accidentally hit a Duke player in the throat. Refs reviewed and accurately ruled no foul, let alone a flagrant. I guess there must be a conspiracy against Duke, since people on our board always howl that any contact that hurts one of our players should be a flagrant even if it is clearly accidental.

I'm not the smartest fan, but I truly don't understand the point to this thread.

I'm not the smartest fan, but I truly don't understand the point to this thread.

You don’t understand why it’s relevant to address a topic that is hotly debated several times a year in game threads? People constantly argue about this and many times say that it would be a foul if it happened to any other team. If you want to watch the replay, feel free. If not, don’t. But clearly seems like a legit topic for a college basketball message board.

What is the rule on that? I assume that if they didn’t call a foul on the floor the only option left was the replay and fragrant?

I think that used to be the case but seems like there was just a case in our game where they overruled. But I wasn’t sure if that was because refs disagreed and they decided before review or because the rules let them review that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What is the rule on that? I assume that if they didn’t call a foul on the floor the only option left was the replay and fragrant?

I think that used to be the case but seems like there was just a case in our game where they overruled. But I wasn’t sure if that was because refs disagreed and they decided before review or because the tules let them review that now.

How does a Duke incedental contact after the play compare to OU’s games? Should I find a travel call on the Celtics to refute the missed call against Baylor? I think the refs (mostly) are unbiased, but the football discrepancies this year allow me to take complaints this year a little easier.

How does a Duke incedental contact after the play compare to OU’s games? Should I find a travel call on the Celtics to refute the missed call against Baylor? I think the refs (mostly) are unbiased, but the football discrepancies this year allow me to take complaints this year a little easier.

Huh? I’m simply asking for a rules clarification and made no judgement on whether the call in our game was right or wrong. I was just using the play in our game as reference to the play that Wichita raised because I was confused by it.

Ou has a -64 FTA discrepancy in big12 play. How does a single call in the duke game justify our FTA discrepancy over 7 games sample?

Last edited:
Anyone watching the Duke game? Virginia Tech player just hit a shot to take the lead with 13 seconds left. As he turned to celebrate on his way back down court, he pumped his fist and accidentally hit a Duke player in the throat. Refs reviewed and accurately ruled no foul, let alone a flagrant. I guess there must be a conspiracy against Duke, since people on our board always howl that any contact that hurts one of our players should be a flagrant even if it is clearly accidental.

And they got it wrong. Incidental contact can still be a foul lol. If you drill a guy in the throat with an air punch, that is still something.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1617710778517454848?s=20&t=LVPJmLYndOkODVJ74c7qjw[/TWEET]

Ask Tanner Groves about that call and see if he thinks it was fair. He got whistled for a flagrant foul last season on a play that involved contact that was every bit as incidental.

And in the past week, an OU player was whistled for basically letting his face get hit by an opposing player's elbow (I can't recall which game or which player, which I admit is not terribly helpful).

All of which is to say, the rulings on these "incidental contact" plays seem utterly arbitrary and OU has gotten the short end of the stick of them often. That said, will we being seeing these call-out posts from you for the rest of the season? The foul numbers are so absurdly out of whack for OU, it's surprising you're so eager to die on this hill.

dude why?
You are the most vain person i have encountered on a message board.
You probably have saved copies of all posts to bring back up years later to prove you were right about something on a message board

Ask Tanner Groves about that call and see if he thinks it was fair. He got whistled for a flagrant foul last season on a play that involved contact that was every bit as incidental.

And in the past week, an OU player was whistled for basically letting his face get hit by an opposing player's elbow (I can't recall which game or which player, which I admit is not terribly helpful).

All of which is to say, the rulings on these "incidental contact" plays seem utterly arbitrary and OU has gotten the short end of the stick of them often. That said, will we being seeing these call-out posts from you for the rest of the season? The foul numbers are so absurdly out of whack for OU, it's surprising you're so eager to die on this hill.

very true. I think the play where Tanner elbowed a guy in the face should have been a flagrant unless they changed the rules. at one point it used to be any contact to the head was a flagrant. and if intent was there it was a flagrant 2.

Ou has a -64 FTA discrepancy in big12 play. How does a single call in the duke game justify our FTA discrepancy over 7 games sample?

It's not a discrepancy. It's the result of a relatively unathletic team that seldom attacks the basket. The idea that there's some national officiating conspiracy against OU is just wacky.

Thanks for your typical well-reasoned argument

I mean it literally is a discrepancy. There isn't anything else to say.
We can debate the reason for the discrepancy all day long but the fact that we can debate the why is the proof that IT actually exists

I do when i want a good laugh.
i've never seen anyone say there is a national conspiracy against OU.
Big 12...yes.
National...no

Since the officials rotate and don't work exclusively for the Big !2 and people here also think the refs in our non-conference games were against us.... it's national.

I mean it literally is a discrepancy. There isn't anything else to say.
We can debate the reason for the discrepancy all day long but the fact that we can debate the why is the proof that IT actually exists

The definition of "Discrepancy" is: A difference in two things that should be the same.

It's literally not a discrepancy unless you think we should be shooting the same amount of free throws as other teams we play.

Back