Future SEC schedule format

BoulderSooner

Owner/Operator
Reaction score
Men's Basketball

Regular season: Each season a team will play two permanent opponents home and away, one rotating opponent home and away, plus the 12 remaining teams in single contests either home or away, for a total of 18 conference games.
SEC Men's Basketball Tournament: All 16 teams will compete in a single-elimination format, consistent with the current format but with two additional games. The top four seeded teams will continue to receive a bye through the first two rounds of the tournament.

play every team every year ..

clearly OU will play texas twice wonder who the other fixed opponent will be? likely Missouri

https://www.secsports.com/article/34032021/six-sec-sports-future-scheduling-formats-approved

also i have heard that OU and ark want to continue to play in Tulsa yearly

Am I reading this right? The top 4 seeds will only have to play 2 games in the conference tourney?

Am I reading this right? The top 4 seeds will only have to play 2 games in the conference tourney?

i think they would have to play 3 games to win it ..

so the bracket would be

5 vs winner of 12 vs 16
6 vs winner of 11 vs 15
7 vs winner of 10 vs 14
8 vs winner of 9 vs 13

then 1 vs 8 spot
2 vs 7 spot
3 vs 6 spot
4 vs 5 spot ..

so top 4 get a double bye

next 4 get 1 bye

bottom 8 play first day

No insider knowledge but would have to think the second team would be Missouri, especially if the rumors of them being part of the three fixed fb opponents holds true.

i think they would have to play 3 games to win it ..

so the bracket would be

5 vs winner of 12 vs 16
6 vs winner of 11 vs 15
7 vs winner of 10 vs 14
8 vs winner of 9 vs 13

then 1 vs 8 spot
2 vs 7 spot
3 vs 6 spot
4 vs 5 spot ..

Ok. I get it now. 2 byes but top 4 still play 3 games. The bottom 4 would have to win 5 games to win the tourney. Teams 5-8 would have to win 4 games. Correct?

Men's Basketball

Regular season: Each season a team will play two permanent opponents home and away, one rotating opponent home and away, plus the 12 remaining teams in single contests either home or away, for a total of 18 conference games.
SEC Men's Basketball Tournament: All 16 teams will compete in a single-elimination format, consistent with the current format but with two additional games. The top four seeded teams will continue to receive a bye through the first two rounds of the tournament.

play every team every year ..

clearly OU will play texas twice wonder who the other fixed opponent will be? likely Missouri

https://www.secsports.com/article/34032021/six-sec-sports-future-scheduling-formats-approved

also i have heard that OU and ark want to continue to play in Tulsa yearly

I expect Missouri to be the other permanent opponent. Unlike in football, that was a rivalry in the old Big 8.

If OU and Arkansas keep the yearly game in Tulsa: 1) that remains a Arkansas-dominated crowd for as long as OU is mediocre, and 2) both schools lose a conference home game. Perhaps that game will continued to be played during winter break while the students are away.

Obviously texas will be one permanent. The other doesn’t really matter as long as it doesn’t make our schedule significantly tougher than everyone else. I mean, it’s only one game we’re talking about.

Personally, I’d prefer to play one of the traditional SEC teams like Bama or Florida. I think developing rivals deep within the SEC will help our assimilation into being a full conference member far more than playing former Big12 teams aTm or missouri.

I expect Missouri to be the other permanent opponent. Unlike in football, that was a rivalry in the old Big 8.

If OU and Arkansas keep the yearly game in Tulsa: 1) that remains a Arkansas-dominated crowd for as long as OU is mediocre, and 2) both schools lose a conference home game. Perhaps that game will continued to be played during winter break while the students are away.

if Texas and missou are the per opponents then OU ark in tulsa means only 1 loses a home game each year

if Texas and missou are the per opponents then OU ark in tulsa means only 1 loses a home game each year

True..my bad. I was thinking along those lines, but you're correct.

It's good for OU to play in Tulsa. It's not good to play there and be outdrawn by the Hogs.

Back