Giving up...

Shooterms

Reaction score
There are few things less admirable in an athlete than when they give up. One of the basic tenets of sportsmanship is to fight through adversity, and to use that adversity to fuel an effort to improve. While, it is true we've seen some of the members of this team give up, others have not. Consequently, I would say that there are few things less admirable in fans than when they give up.

There are members of this team who are fighting to get better, to find a way to salvage any good they can from this season. If we give up on them, we're no better than the fanbases we make fun of.

(Incidentally, if you think this post was directed at you personally, you probably need to reevaluate the perception of your own importance.)

Shooter, I believe what you have seen in the past few days has been more frustration and anger than a sign that fans who really care about OU basketball have given up entirely on this team. I know that is the case with me and a few other posters I communicate with on a regular basis.

There has been a change in the atmosphere on this board as well, and much of it is the fault of the mods and the admins. OUHoops, GParker and myself had an impromptu meeting this morning. The decision was made to return to our "roots" and continue to be the board that strives to promote OU basketball, not the typical web site where anything goes, often at the expense of coaches and players when things aren't going well. Some members may not like it. But, that's the way it's going to be, starting now.

That doesn't mean we plan to put a harness on open discussions that includes criticism of players, and even coaches, as long as the posts or threads are respectful and do not contain personal insults. In other words, nothing has changed from the way this site has operated for the past year and a half. But there will be a change from the posts and threads we have allowed since last Saturday afternoon. So, for anyone who may have a post or thread deleted, edited or locked from this point forward, don't say you weren't warned in advance.

As an FYI, I'm making this announcement at GParker's request because he had to be out of pocket for a few days. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Shooter, but this seemed like the perfect forum to make our plans known to everyone.

Thanks, Shooter. You stated exactly what I've been thinking (sans the expletives that have accompanied my thoughts:)). And Ada, your assessment regarding the "frustration factor" is probably correct. I don't doubt that most of the posters on the ouhoops.com board are loyal Sooner fans. Still, some of the comments that have been made here recently have been discouraging, to say the least.

I completely understand frustration.
Some posts and threads have simply been outlandish. I'm glad efforts are being made to keep this place great.

I want to emphasize one point to make sure everyone understands. There are no plans that I'm aware of to change anything about OUHoops, except continue to try and make it better. If you liked this site before last weekend's meltdown began, there is no reason you will not like it now or in the future.

We're simply going back to the way we were before, where constructive, tasteful criticism was okay, but bashing players and coaches was not. That is all there is to my announcement.

I want to emphasize one point to make sure everyone understands. There are no plans that I'm aware of to change anything about OUHoops, except continue to try and make it better. If you liked this site before last weekend's meltdown began, there is no reason you will not like it now or in the future.

We're simply going back to the way we were before, where constructive, tasteful criticism was okay, but bashing players and coaches was not. That is all there is to my announcement.

I like this, and this is an awesome board. I'm as frustrated as anybody, but there are only so many ways to rag on a coach, players or program. Guess it just gets so redundant that all of the useful stuff gets drowned out.

Here is to hoping that the kids play hard and do not quit, that we stay incident free and injury free throughout the rest of the season and off-season, and that the enire OU basketball "family" can pull it together for a strong run next year.

I've strayed away from this board since the OSU game. I made a stupid thread so I'm sure I contributed to the negative vision of this board over the week. But I'm never going to stop watching or give up. Ever. I'll be watching the game with the same tenacity I always do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shooter, I believe what you have seen in the past few days has been more frustration and anger than a sign that fans who really care about OU basketball have given up entirely on this team. I know that is the case with me and a few other posters I communicate with on a regular basis.

There has been a change in the atmosphere on this board as well, and much of it is the fault of the mods and the admins. OUHoops, GParker and myself had an impromptu meeting this morning. The decision was made to return to our "roots" and continue to be the board that strives to promote OU basketball, not the typical web site where anything goes, often at the expense of coaches and players when things aren't going well. Some members may not like it. But, that's the way it's going to be, starting now.

That doesn't mean we plan to put a harness on open discussions that includes criticism of players, and even coaches, as long as the posts or threads are respectful and do not contain personal insults. In other words, nothing has changed from the way this site has operated for the past year and a half. But there will be a change from the posts and threads we have allowed since last Saturday afternoon. So, for anyone who may have a post or thread deleted, edited or locked from this point forward, don't say you weren't warned in advance.

As an FYI, I'm making this announcement at GParker's request because he had to be out of pocket for a few days. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Shooter, but this seemed like the perfect forum to make our plans known to everyone.

Thank you so much, Ada. To be honest, I have dreaded even coming onto this forum for the past week because of the posts of around 10 posters who almost seem to take pleasure in this program's 30 year low point. I look forward to seeing this board get back to normal and I will do my part to not squabble with the few that seem to enjoy arguing more than OU basketball....

To be honest, I have dreaded even coming onto this forum for the past week because of the posts of around 10 posters who almost seem to take pleasure in this program's 30 year low point.

yep

Went thru a struggle with this on another board not to be named a few years ago. I decided to draw a bright line and it pissed many off...but ya know what - i don't care.

We're supposed to be supporters. To me that means we treat them the same way I would my own kids. When my kids lost I didnt rag on them incessantly, call them names, question their abilities etc... . I tried to think of what positives could emerge, what constuctive things could be said, something IN SUPPORT OF.

Does that mean you say nothing negative? no. It means you do so in a constructive manner so as not to be detrimental.

What makes it detrimental? Honestly, perception. If others perceive what you're saying as over the line then it probably is. But it's not that darn hard to fashion criticism in a constructive manner.

Sorry to rant, but this just chaps my behind.

Thank you so much, Ada. To be honest, I have dreaded even coming onto this forum for the past week because of the posts of around 10 posters who almost seem to take pleasure in this program's 30 year low point. I look forward to seeing this board get back to normal and I will do my part to not squabble with the few that seem to enjoy arguing more than OU basketball....

I don't know if I am one of those 10, but a big problem I have is that 4 years ago was OU's 30 year low point and 3 years later the team is at an even lower point.

I believe that this site should first and foremost always be about promoting OU basketball. OU basketball isn't like OU football. There aren't thousands and thousands of people on a waiting list to get season tickets to OU basketball. You don't have to donate money just for the right to purchase season tickets to OU basketball. We need all the support we can get. That means if the casual OU fan wanders over here we don't want to be showing our rears by ripping the players and coaches to shreds. I agree that negative thoughts should be allowed to be expressed if they are done so in a respectful manner. Heck I have expressed plenty of negative thoughts myself on here this season, because I am as frustrated as everybody else. That being said, this shouldn't be an "anything goes" board. Some people act like (and I'm not pointing the finger at ANY poster on this board) freedom of speech is a guaranteed right on message boards. Well that's not the case. This is a private entity and they have the absolute right to moderate the content on here however they see fit. As I said earlier this week, I honestly feel that this is one of the fairest and most even-handed set of moderators of any site that I visit. Thanks for creating this site and giving us an excellent venue for discussing OU basketball.

I believe that this site should first and foremost always be about promoting OU basketball. OU basketball isn't like OU football. There aren't thousands and thousands of people on a waiting list to get season tickets to OU basketball. You don't have to donate money just for the right to purchase season tickets to OU basketball. We need all the support we can get. That means if the casual OU fan wanders over here we don't want to be showing our rears by ripping the players and coaches to shreds. I agree that negative thoughts should be allowed to be expressed if they are done so in a respectful manner. Heck I have expressed plenty of negative thoughts myself on here this season, because I am as frustrated as everybody else. That being said, this shouldn't be an "anything goes" board. Some people act like (and I'm not pointing the finger at ANY poster on this board) freedom of speech is a guaranteed right on message boards. Well that's not the case. This is a private entity and they have the absolute right to moderate the content on here however they see fit. As I said earlier this week, I honestly feel that this is one of the fairest and most even-handed set of moderators of any site that I visit. Thanks for creating this site and giving us an excellent venue for discussing OU basketball.

I think that the existing fanbase of the MB Program has a fiduciary duty to try to stay positive about the program to the extent possible and TOTALLY agree 100% with everything you said. Excellent post. Can we just have a pinned thread for the 10 guys who ramble on and on about how everything sucks instead of infecting every thread with it? I mean seriously, we have a thread about trying to be positive and we get "lowest point in 30 years blah blah blah".

:clap Great post!

Sherriff Ada is here to take out the trash!

:clap

:ez-roll:

Funny, but not true at all. I'm here because I love this web site and I don't want us to lose sight of what made it the best OU basketball board on the Net. Besides, when my friend GParker calls, I listen. :)

I think that the existing fanbase of the MB Program has a fiduciary duty to try to stay positive about the program to the extent possible and TOTALLY agree 100% with everything you said. Excellent post. Can we just have a pinned thread for the 10 guys who ramble on and on about how everything sucks instead of infecting every thread with it? I mean seriously, we have a thread about trying to be positive and we get "lowest point in 30 years blah blah blah".

A fiduciary duty? Have you ever seen Erin Brokovich? She tells Ed not to use big words he doesn't understand. Actually it was the ultimate positive guy that brought up 30 year low.

Back