Got a juco power forward visiting on June 15th

thebigabd

Reaction score
Robert Goff is visiting OU on June 15th. He recently visited Cincy and Xavier, and his next stop is Norman. I know Indiana and Purdue recruited him out of high school, but he went to Cowley junior college in Kansas. He is a 2010 recruit so Capel must like him to recruit a juco this early.

Rivals claimed that you just dont really see too many athletes like him at 6'9'', but out of high school he wasnt very polished. Hopefully two years of juco basketball will help him polish his game and be more prepared for D1 ball..

He played on a veteran team this past year at Cowley, so we will see what he does this year at juco with a bigger role. I couldnt find any stats and the crap you get from the NJCAA site is trash and never accurate. I will post them when I find them.

1regioniv03032009.gif

Robert Goff (6'9'' 220) Cowley County Community College

Last edited:
About the overall visit to Xavier, Goff said, "I have talked to them about who they are bringing and in if I were to come there who would be on the floor around me. I'm not going to play the five, I am going to play the four, so I have talked to them about who the big men would be. I have known Coach (Travis) Steele since he was at Indiana, so we are real cool."

I am not too thrilled about this comment. Hey kid, you will play where your coach tells you to play. :eek:

BTW he is a member of the 2010 class fyi.

I am not too thrilled about this comment. Hey kid, you will play where your coach tells you to play. :eek:

I am sure he will think Capel is cool, and there are options at Oklahoma to play because we dont know about Fitz, Wright is leaving, and Gallon wants to be one and done. I am pretty sure Capel will tell him about that.

Getting some post players that are ready to play are really important for this class, due to the departure of Wright and the possible departure of Gallon if he has a really big year.

If OU cant land a "big time" post player out of high school in this class, I really wouldnt mind going with two juco guys in the paint.

Capel must like him if he is coming in for a visit this early as a 2010 recruit...

I am all about taking big time athletes in the post... Especially at 6'9''.

I realize OU hasn't offered yet. But in view of the top high school kids we're in on in 2010, I'm a little surprised our coaches are taking a serious look at a JUCO. That is not to say that I'm opposed to signing junior college players. I like having a JUCO or two on the roster, especially with a relatively young team.

I found a brief from the Indianapolis Star that says Goff planned to attend a JUCO for one year and then transfer to a four year school with three years of eligibility left. If so, that would make more sense. Will he have three years to play or two?

Either way, I trust Coach Capel and his staff to make the right decision and sign the best players out there.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS0601/807210393

I realize OU hasn't offered yet. But in view of the top high school kids we're in on in 2010, I'm a little surprised our coaches are taking a serious look at a JUCO. That is not to say that I'm opposed to signing junior college players. I like having a JUCO or two on the roster, especially with a relatively young team.

I found a brief from the Indianapolis Star that says Goff planned to attend a JUCO for one year and then transfer to a four year school with three years of eligibility left. If so, that would make more sense. Will he have three years to play or two?

Either way, I trust Coach Capel and his staff to make the right decision and sign the best players out there.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SPORTS0601/807210393

Which "top high school kids" does OU have a legit shot at in the post?

Terrence Jones, Luke Cothron, James Johnson, Alex Kirk, Michael Cobbins for starters.

-Alex Kirk will go to Zona or UNM.
-Cobbins didnt even mention OU in his last recruiting update
-Cothron is in love with A&M, NC State, and North Carolina. Didnt even mention OU this month when asked about visits he wants to take
-James Johnson loves Texas, California, and North Carolina schools. Didnt mention OU.

-Terrence Jones did mention OU, but he is a west coast guy and the entire Pac-10 is recruiting him.

To be honest, I dont feel real good about OU landing any of these guys.

Do you?

-Alex Kirk will go to Zona or UNM.
-Cobbins didnt even mention OU in his last recruiting update
-Cothron is in love with A&M, NC State, and North Carolina. Didnt even mention OU this month when asked about visits he wants to take
-James Johnson loves Texas, California, and North Carolina schools. Didnt mention OU.

-Terrence Jones did mention OU, but he is a west coast guy and the entire Pac-10 is recruiting him.

To be honest, I dont feel real good about OU landing any of these guys.

Do you?

I feel we have a legit chance with all of them, yes. You have to understand that many of those articles that you cited as from specific site's reporters. Framing of the questions go a long way in getting answers. Do you really think Luke Cothron is in love with A&M? I don't. OU has a much better shot a landing him.

That Johnson article was written before Capel had offered Johnson. Texas hasn't offered him and probably won't.

Cobbins is just now blowing up (got an offer from OSU this weekend). I know that Capel is starting to have some interest and I bet that he goes to our elite camp.

Most schools just had an elite camp over the past couple of weeks. OU did not. We would have a lot more kids talking OU if we did. It is a bit of a gamble to wait until August, but I think it will pay off having the final say with some of these kids.

Out of that list, I bet we land 1 guy. We are taking 6 ( 5 if Tiny stays) so there might be a JUCO post man thrown in there ( and you better pimp that guy like you do everytime CU, Nebbish, or ISU gets a JUCO big).

I really don't think that Capel is going to make a living with the JUCO guys like Kelvin and Billy did. JUCOs are so 2005 imo. Prep school is where it is at now. Will he take one every now and then? Probably. In a class like this one (large), it is sometimes good to break up the class with a JUCO in order to balance out your roster.

Serious question, abd. How much would you be pimping Steven Pledger or Andrew Fitzgerald if they went to Colorado, ISU, Nebraska, or Tech? My guess would be quite a bit.

Is Julian Washburn considered a PF or wing in college?

I would extremely surprised if Alex Kirk came to OU...premier players in New Mexico usually stay in-state or head west.

Just my two cents.

I would extremely surprised if Alex Kirk came to OU...premier players in New Mexico usually stay in-state or head west.

Just my two cents.

I think the bigger issue is how hard that OU is recruiting Kirk. From all accounts he has been pretty overrated due to a poor overall class of true centers in the 2010 class, but yeah, I get your point.

Do you really think Luke Cothron is in love with A&M? I don't.

He sure seemed to really like A&M after going to their camp. He said they are top 5 for him, and he really liked the campus, facilities, coaches, etc.

Thats more than he has ever even thought about OU.

Last edited:
He sure seemed to really like A&M after going to their camp.

He will love OU after our camp too....

Its called a post visit high.

Luke on OU:

“I like them a lot,” said Cothron. “I saw what they did with Blake Griffin and I was really impressed with that. I talked to Coach (Jeff) Capel about two weeks ago, and I talked to Coach (Ben) Betts about two weeks ago. I really like Oklahoma and the atmosphere they have there."

Wait until he comes in for a visit and then we will see what he says.

Last edited:
I think the bigger issue is how hard that OU is recruiting Kirk. From all accounts he has been pretty overrated due to a poor overall class of true centers in the 2010 class, but yeah, I get your point.

You're probably right...all I know is I played in his district when I was in high school and there rarely is a kid over 6'4" on any of those teams. So there is a good chance his high school numbers are inflated against very weak New Mexico competition. Now, he may have torn it up on the AAU circuit, I don't know.

The kid obviously has some skills, but if Capel is looking to continue to go up-tempo, he wouldn't be my first pick at the 5 spot.

As for Goff, all I know is that Cowley really gets after it defensively and likes to run the floor...probably why Capel is showing so much interest.

Will OU offer Goff tomorrow? He sounds like a 6'9'' 220 Juan Pattillo type. Very athletic, not much in terms of skills.

Back