Gottlieb calls out Willie Warren

Yeah... because the fact that Gottlieb snached a credit card 15 years ago when he was 19 years old really should be a factor when discussing his present-day analysis of college basketball.
The irony just jumped up and slapped the crap out of you. And you gave a goofy smile right back at it.

Nobody could have made my point better than you did with your retort. Thanks.

Last edited:
That is the biggest problem that I have with that article. I like Doug a lot as an analyst I think he is ESPN's best analyst but for him to put quotes from other coaches practically ripping a 20 year old without even knowing him or being around him everyday just doesn't seem right.

Capel and his staff are the ones who know him and see him everyday whether its in practice or in teem meetings. We all agree that Willie has had some attitude problems this season with his pouting and what not but for Doug to come right out and say that he is the sole reason why this OU team is having the season it is having sounds ridiculous to me. As you said Playmakr I hope Jeff comes out and defends his player over some of these comments. Willie has a right to defend himself as well so if he wants to comment on it then he should be given the right to do so.
I agree. The more I think about it, the more it upsets me that a coach from another team took it upon himself to comment about another teams player/situation, publicly.

Thought the coach comment was out of line (even though it could possibly be true). Probably best just to keep your mouth shut at that point and not an swe a question like that.

Don't mind Gottlieb's own personal opinion, WW has been very disappointing from many aspects this year and it does seem that something is amiss.

maybe the anon. opposing coach is passing on a comment from capel. saying something capel would like to say, but can't publicly?

just a thought.

The irony just jumped up and slapped the crap out of you. And you gave a goofy smile right back at it.

Nobody could have made my point better than you did with your retort. Thanks.

LOL. How so?

Remind me again what Gottleib's job is? Oh yeah... it's to analyze college basketball.

So if, in his opinion, a given team's problem is lack of leadership from one of its key players is the source of poor play, is he supposed to just ignore it because the players are "kids"? That's laughable. There are plenty of 18-21 year olds who provide great leadership. Blake Griffin certainly was one.

And anyway... it's not like it's been some huge secret over the past two years that Willie has been detrimental to team chemistry at times.

Well when you're calling a 19 year old the sole reason why OU is dysfunctional and struggling so much, maybe you should do some more research before going so far to say such things.

So it's your opinion that Gottleib is just making this opinion up and hasn't talked to anyone in and around the program? OK.

I guess the truth hurts. I agree with Gottlieb. I think WW is the main cancer and his attitude trickles down to the younger guys. I don't think WW will get drafted this year but I'm hoping he goes overseas. If he sticks around here, he needs a serious attitude adjustment and he really needs to improve. One common theme this year on defense has been WW getting beat off the dribble. Willie also had the reputation of being a cancer coming into college. Remember the high school transfers and his falling out with his good friend Rotnei Clark? There were rumors last year of a confrontation between AJ and Willie. This year, where to begin, suspended in Alaska, mono cough cough last week. Someone needs to tell him to look in the mirror, watch the game film, and see that he is not as good as he thinks he is. Would you be willling to pay a guy millions of dollars in return for no defense, bad attitude, and the reputation of being a cancer among teammates? He has been the biggest disappointment this year by far. Remember when WW told JC that he was going to take his team to the NC game but win it? How about you don't even lead your team to the NCAA tourney this year?

Wake up folks, it is perfectly understandable that Gottlieb stole his roomates credit card and was charged with a crime in college. That is just standard youthful exuberance .

But not getting back on defense, or joking with a fellow student about missing a tutor session, etc. THAT IS WAY OUT OF CONTROL and deserves national ridicule. What normal 19 year old ever joked about cutting class?

What does Gottlieb being a cheat have to do with his opinion of OU's basketball problems and more notably WW?
Gottlieb is a baskeball analyst and he gave his opinion. That is what he's paid to do. And it's not like it's an outlandish opinion at that.

I think Willie Warren is the problem and needs to move on. Get guys in there that want to work hard and play team ball. It's a shame he doesn't realize the potential he has. He will never, ever make it in the NBA the way he currently plays.

This is the same Doug Gotleib that said Kstate has "returned to the Glory days!" What Glory Days is he referring to?

IDIOT!!

What does Gottlieb being a cheat have to do with his opinion of OU's basketball problems and more notably WW?
Gottlieb is a baskeball analyst and he gave his opinion. That is what he's paid to do. And it's not like it's an outlandish opinion at that.
Gottlieb being a cheat and a fraud at age 19 makes his opinion of an attitude of a 19 year old null and void.

That point is inarguable, to the point I'm done giving what he said any more face time. The rest of you can continue your Willie Warren bashing circle jerk. (half the fans sucking up to Doug are fans of hated Rival schools like Kansas and Oklahoma State)

Kansas fans hate OU. Oklahoma State fans hate OU. Why would I give their opinions of OU players the time of day? I will have reasonable discussions with OU fans (and select rival fans) on detriments of our team. I certainly won't listen to rival fans ramblings about a player. For example, KU fans don't want to hear about Sherron in the elevator, and I don't want to listen to silly stuff about a facebook page. Facebook, lol.

OSU fans don't want to talk about two former coach's being criminal's and horrid drunks, but want to talk about phone calls, as another example.

Gottlieb needs to stick to analyzing X's and O's, which is he very good at. He needs to stay away from analyzing the attitudes of 19 year olds, given his behavior at that time. Inarguable.

Last edited:
Gottlieb being a cheat and a fraud at age 19 makes his opinion of an attitude of a 19 year old null and void.

That's quite simply the silliest thing I've ever read. If anything it's possible it STRENGTHENS his knowledge of how poor decisions can hurt a team. He possibly lived thru it. Some of the best Preachers are former violators of the law. Some of the best teachers weren't the best students. Some of the best coaches weren't very good players.
Are you saying if Tyshawn Taylor, Drew Fitzgerald, Stephen Pledger or Brady Morningstar become guidance counselors 15 years down the road that they will be "null and void" of offering 19 year olds guidance because of minor mistakes they made as young men? That is just plain crazy talk.

That's quite simply the silliest thing I've ever read. If anything it's possible it STRENGTHENS his knowledge of how poor decisions can hurt a team. He possibly lived thru it. Some of the best Preachers are former violators of the law. Some of the best teachers weren't the best students. Some of the best coaches weren't very good players.
Are you saying if Tyshawn Taylor, Drew Fitzgerald, Stephen Pledger or Brady Morningstar become guidance counselors 15 years down the road that they will be "null and void" of offering 19 year olds guidance because of minor mistakes they made as young men? That is just plain crazy talk.

I must have missed where gottlieb was offering Willie guidance.

Gottlieb needs to stick to analyzing X's and O's, which is he very good at. He needs to stay away from analyzing the attitudes of 19 year olds, given his behavior at that time. Inarguable.

If there were ever a time you displayed immaturity as a youngster means you're precluded from recognizing it as improper from this day foward?

I guess the truth hurts. I agree with Gottlieb. I think WW is the main cancer and his attitude trickles down to the younger guys. I don't think WW will get drafted this year but I'm hoping he goes overseas. If he sticks around here, he needs a serious attitude adjustment and he really needs to improve. One common theme this year on defense has been WW getting beat off the dribble. Willie also had the reputation of being a cancer coming into college. Remember the high school transfers and his falling out with his good friend Rotnei Clark? There were rumors last year of a confrontation between AJ and Willie. This year, where to begin, suspended in Alaska, mono cough cough last week. Someone needs to tell him to look in the mirror, watch the game film, and see that he is not as good as he thinks he is. Would you be willling to pay a guy millions of dollars in return for no defense, bad attitude, and the reputation of being a cancer among teammates? He has been the biggest disappointment this year by far. Remember when WW told JC that he was going to take his team to the NC game but win it? How about you don't even lead your team to the NCAA tourney this year?

If you are correct then Capel is an idiot. Just bench WW or kick him off the team.

The problem is not just WW.

If there were ever a time you displayed immaturity as a youngster means you're precluded from recognizing it as improper from this day foward?

Let me clear something up before I bow out...

It would be one thing for Doug to point it out, as if to encourage Willie, or in some manor of offering advice. He is not doing so. He's just taking a shot.

Your whole post is about offering advice or guidance, which is NOT null and void for people that have been through it. Doug is not doing that. It's not even "I really wish Willie would do this or that." It's just a shot.

Per your example, if Brady Morningstar took a shot 15 years from now at a drunk driver, and left it at that, his words would be meaningless. If he were taking that person under his wing, offering support, that would be a positive and a great thing. The former is what is happening here.

I apologize for the confusion with the previous post. Hopefully this makes more sense.

Last edited:
But Willie Warren didn't steal credit cards. I don't really understand the connection and I don't think it matters. Regardless of whether you like Gottlieb as a person, I think it's fair to say he's a pretty good basketball guy who is always willing to say his opinion. I respect that. In this case, he even has other people (albiet unnamed) who agree with his position. I don't like seeing our players be criticized either, because it means that they aren't playing well. But, the reactions in this thread seem to be a bit defensive when it seems unnecessary. I don't think anybody thinks Willie has played all that great this year, and most around here seem to think he's had attitude problems.

Back