Fraschilla says A&M will be Big 12's third-best team

245.gif
Texas A&M

Andy's Take: Out of the top 25
My Take: The Big 12's third-most talented team is top-25 good

I know my good friend has the Aggies out of his top 25, pending the return of Donald Sloan, Chinemelu Elonu and Bryan Davis, who have declared for the NBA draft. Trust me, they are all returning and they'll give coach Mark Turgeon the foundation of his most talented team in three years at A&M. The loss of sharpshooter Josh Carter has been compensated for with the addition of two top-75 wing recruits, 6-foot-5 Naji Hibbert and 6-foot-7 Khris Middleton. Elonu, Davis and 6-foot-9 sophomore David Loubeau provide the Aggies with one of the most physical front lines in the Big 12 and the backcourt duo of Sloan and former high school teammate Derrick Roland could play linebacker for the Aggies.

201.gif
Oklahoma

Doug's Take: Oklahoma at No. 5
My Take: Not so fast!

Oklahoma's winning tradition has been very underrated through the years, despite the Sooners appearing in 27 postseason tournaments in 28 years. And Jeff Capel is certainly upholding that tradition. He has an excellent recruiting class to complement some key returnees. Here's the problem: Superman has just left the Lloyd Noble Center and has flown off to the NBA. Blake Griffin's dominance as a college player can't be understated and he'll be impossible to replace. The Sooners will be an NCAA team and hang around the top 25 all season, but if they are No. 5 at the end of the year, Capel will be getting another hefty raise.

To be fair, I guess he said A&M is the Big 12's "third-most talented team"...but I don't think he's right. I think A&M should probably be just inside the Top 25, but I don't know a whole lot about the rest of the nation at this point. And like others have said (and IMO), I'm not sure if we're Top 10 right NOW. I reserve my right for judgment for all teams until conference play.

I agree with him all the way. Experience outweighs young talent. We have young talent, UT will have young talent. I think if they bring those 3 guys back with a BJ Holmes as a junior, you have 4 guys that can get 20 points in any game. Add to that, they still have Nathan Walkup and David Loubeau, guys that could start for almost every team in the conference. Loubeau has the most upside of any player they have. Naji Hibbert is going to be a contributor too. If you look at UT and OU, there will be inexperience at key positions. UT has a little more experience in Pittman, Mason, and Johnson which will help. Our playing experience is Crocker and WW as far as guys who get crunchtime minutes.

A&M is very experienced, and pretty talented. They signed a really solid class (especially considering their needs) and should finish 3rd or 4th in the Big 12.

Fraschilla says A&M will be Big 12's third-best team
He said third most talented, not third-best. And there's definitely a difference.

Baylor was probably in the top 5 in the Big XII this year in terms of talent, but they certainly weren't top 5 in the Big XII in terms of performance.

If Willie blossoms in his second season – as I expect he will – and the freshman recruits are as good as advertised, I predict the Sooners (not aTm) will push UT for South dominance.

And if Tony Crocker finally begins to fulfill his promise as a big time scorer (a BIG "IF"), I say the Sooners are easily the third best team in the Big XII.

lol bigabd already has his team of the year Texas Am book it. That means they will be bad

A&M has the talent to finish in the top three of the Big 12. I'm just not sold on Mark Turgeon to coach his team to play at that level.

I like Doug Gottlieb's take on OU next season. He said almost exactly (in fewer words lol) what I have been saying for sometime:

"5. Oklahoma: Willie Warren and Tony Crocker will make the transition for incoming freshmen Tommy Mason-Griffin and Keith "Tiny" Gallon easier. If Juan Pattillo contributes, then Boomer Sooner. While forward Blake Griffin is impossible to replace, the Sooners appear to be better at every other position next season in terms of raw talent."

A&M has the talent to finish in the top three of the Big 12. I'm just not sold on Mark Turgeon to coach his team to play at that level.

I like Doug Gottlieb's take on OU next season. He said almost exactly (in fewer words lol) what I have been saying for sometime:

"5. Oklahoma: Willie Warren and Tony Crocker will make the transition for incoming freshmen Tommy Mason-Griffin and Keith "Tiny" Gallon easier. If Juan Pattillo contributes, then Boomer Sooner. While forward Blake Griffin is impossible to replace, the Sooners appear to be better at every other position next season in terms of raw talent."

I'm with you on this one. I agree with Doug on this one.

i certainly dont disagree with Fran's take here. we are going to be incredibly raw, inexperienced yet talented. that usually computes into a jekyll and hyde type of team. it's up to Capel to coach them up.

but i'd go with the safe money and keep A&M up there simply due to their returning talent. OU is just relying on too much unknown right now.

I just don't equate "raw talent" to a pre-season top 5 ranking, experience can make up for talent. Doug's ranking is too high, but I'm not complaining though, love the publicity we are getting on a national level.

I just don't equate "raw talent" to a pre-season top 5 ranking, experience can make up for talent. Doug's ranking is too high, but I'm not complaining though, love the publicity we are getting on a national level.

Yeah the pub is great! Gotta love it.

I will be shocked if A&M finishes ahead of OU or KSU next year.

I will be shocked if A&M finishes ahead of OU or KSU next year.

Really? I think A&M is awfully good if they get those guys back. They played the hell out of us last year with Blake. Perimeter shooting will be their achilles heel, but the experience they bring back will be tough to beat. I hope those guys get drafted.

Really? I think A&M is awfully good if they get those guys back. They played the hell out of us last year with Blake. Perimeter shooting will be their achilles heel, but the experience they bring back will be tough to beat. I hope those guys get drafted.

All of their guard recruits are good shooters, plus BJ Holmes can shoot.

Sloan, Elonu, Davis, Harris, Loubeau, and their new cast should be very good.

I'll wait to see if they can shoot on the next level. A high school three pt shot and a college 3 are night and day. Keiton Page went form shooting close to 60% from three pt land to 38%. Even WW struggled early with his shot.

The key to OU's season is going to be Gallon. If he is one of the top 5 freshmen in the league, I think OU will be in the top 3. A&M is probably 4. But I would put them in a hat with Baylor, OSU, KSU and Missouri.

Everyone is down on Missouri for next year. Their recruits although a little under the radar had plenty of big offers. Rivals said OU offered both Dewitt and Dixon. True?

Ramsey and Safford- looked like they can play at the end of the year. Carroll will be very difficult to replace as well as Lyons. But they return all of their backcourt guys. I wouldn't bet against these guys.

I'm still not sold that KSU will be in this group. Clemente is a nice player. Judge is a great recruit. Pullen is okay. They had some good wins last year and played tough D. But for some reason I am not sold on them. I think they are set up to disappoint.

Everyone is down on Missouri for next year. Their recruits although a little under the radar had plenty of big offers. Rivals said OU offered both Dewitt and Dixon. True?

He said they offered. Alot of kids get offers. If it came down to Fitzgerald, Gallon, and Dewitt, Dewitt would be the odd man out. OU wanted Dixon and AJ Walton until TMG jumped into the picture.

Back