Harrison Barnes vs. Cameron Clark

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
There have been alot talk on this board about Harriso Barnes and Cameron Clark. OU has recruited both of these guys heavily and in Clark's case, the interest has be reciprocated. From seeing both of these guys play through film and AAU feeds, I was struck by a couple of things. I was struck by the fact that both of these guys are legit in their heights. I think Clark is close to 6'7 and Barnes is clearly 6'7. The other thing I noticed was the versatility in their games.

Clark vs. Barnes the player comparison

Watching these two guys, both of them stand out as big wing players that can shoot over competition with ease. Clark may have the better shot and better catch and shoot game, but there are some slight mechanical issues. Barnes is a guy that can do all things well. He's a good shooter, great slasher, has a pro body, and is physical enough to play the 4 on an all conference level. Clark will need a year or two to mature his body where Barnes is almost on the level of Lebron coming out of High School as far as body maturity.

Clark vs. Barnes effect on a program

Barnes and Clark's effect on a program can vary depending on the schools they choose. If Barnes goes to a UNC type school loaded with players, he'll have a modest first year. In comparison, Ed Davis, a top 4 pick in many opinions had very modest stats. If Barnes were to choose an OU, or if Singler were to leave and he chose Duke, he would have great numbers. UK is a wild card with Barnes because their style has enough points to go around. KU may have put themselves in a tougher situation with Barnes because X. Henry may play more than one year. Regardless of the school he chooses, he's a one and done type guy. Clark on the other hand is similar to a James Anderson in the fact that he'll need to work on his physique and some things in his game to get better. Last year people made analysis of Getting Rotnei Clarke over Willie Warren because Clarke was a four year guy and Warren potentially could be a 1 year guy. That analysis wasn't a good one because the talent level was such a wide gap, but with Clark and Barnes, both guys are NBA potential players, but Clark is more apt to stay 3 years where Barnes is one and done. Also, Clark would continue to help OU build a strong base in Texas where as in Rotnei Clarke and Harrison Barnes case, OU probably isn't going to follow up with recruiting Ames and Claremore.

Of course my choice would be for both, but if it came down to it and the interest of the program long range were what was the most important thing, I would go with Cameron Clark.

Thanks for the input, glad you can give an analysis and I can just sit back and hope for one of em to sign.

http://www.zagsblog.com/
Harrison Barnes is the No. 1 small forward in the Class of 2010 and he is being courted accordingly.

During the recent recruiting period, Kentucky coach John Calipari, Kansas coach Bill Self, Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel, Iowa State coach Greg McDermott and North Carolina assistant Steve Robinson all came to watch Barnes during open gyms.

“It’s been relatively busy this spring,” said Vance Downs, Barnes’ high school coach.

Downs said the 6-foot-7 Barnes plans to take all five official visits next fall.

And what is Barnes’ upside?

“Limitless,” Downs said. “He’s as good as they come. First of all, he’s a wing player. He’s all of 6-foot-7 with the wing span of a 7-footer. He’s explosive. He’s got an inside game, an intermediate game and a perimeter game.

“His ballhandling and court vision are getting better every day and I don’t know that there’s a ceiling for this young man. He’s the real deal.”

Alot of people question as to where OU falls in the mix with Barnes and I think the coaches that his coach lost are the pecking order. He didn't mention Duke, but UNC, KU, UK, are right there along with OU and ISU. What works for OU is ISU isn't going to get an official visit.

Last edited:
I don't think that Barnes and Davis are a good comparison. Davis was very raw offensively and didn't even start. Barnes will start from Day 1 wherever he goes and has a terrific offensive game both inside and out.

Most feel Barnes is the #1 player in the class the way he's playing currently.

It will be interesting to see when Barnes decides to commit. I think if he commits early then KU is out of it because no one will know what Henry will be doing. If it is in the spring and Henry looks to be leaving I think KU is pretty strong.

It's not a player player comparison, but a system comparison. A talent laden UNC with 5 McD's with a year experience is going to limit his numbers. If he goes to KU along side Henry, Taylor, the Morris's and the other talented players, he's not going to average 17pts per game. He goes to a lesser school he'll average 20plus. If he goes to ISU, he'll be every bit the scorer Brackins is.

One is for 1-2 years and the other is for 3-4 years. If I had to choose, I would take the 3-4 year guy and get the best player out of Texas for the third year in a row. :woot

I think Harrison Barnes will end up as an elite NBA player. From what I've seen and heard the kid is a flat out stud and a good kid. He's special.

I think Harrison Barnes will end up as an elite NBA player. From what I've seen and heard the kid is a flat out stud and a good kid. He's special.

I think Carmelo Anthony is a good comparison for his game and size.

Have enough open ships for both.

Barnes would instantly be the best player on any of those teams so I don't worry about him getting stats. Now, obviously at UNC or KU they will be more balanced but he would still get 12-14 as a freshman.

I want to go ahead and say that Barnes is the better player....no doubt about it.

I want Clark for other reasons (years in school, continuing to cherry pick Texas, relationship with Taylor and Pressey etc...)

I'm finding it real interesting that KU, OU, and UT are now recruiting both Barnes and Clark.

Let's hope that Texas being so late on Clark will hurt them in his recruiting.

My fear is what they would tell Clark in regards to Barnes. In other words will they use Barnes as a negative recruiting tool.

Here is a great Harrison Barnes interview from tonight after his game at the Jayhawk Invitational. As you can tell he's just an outstanding young man with a good head on his shoulders. I wish him luck wherever he goes and I have a gut feeling he's one of the next NBA superstars.

http://theshiver.com/

I wouldn't be suprised to see him at Stanford. 3.9 GPA!!! wow.

Here is a great Harrison Barnes interview from tonight after his game at the Jayhawk Invitational. As you can tell he's just an outstanding young man with a good head on his shoulders. I wish him luck wherever he goes and I have a gut feeling he's one of the next NBA superstars.

http://theshiver.com/

Royce Woolridge will basically take you guys out of consideration with Clark. He's an abosolute stud.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him at Stanford. 3.9 GPA!!! wow.

I think Duke. He said the thing most important to him about a school is academics. Combine that with Coach K & Duke's tradition and it would be a great fit. Not to stereotype but he seems like a Duke kid. Reminds me a lot of Grant Hill. Really classy kid. I read on phog in his game today he scored 35 on 11 shots. Wow!

Royce Woolridge will basically take you guys out of consideration with Clark. He's an abosolute stud.
Nah, Royce is a 6'3 combo guard and Clark is a 6'6 wing. They don't play the same position at all and regardless you gotta have more guys. Royce is under the radar right now, it's not like he's a top 10 player or anything.

I think Duke. He said the thing most important to him about a school is academics. Combine that with Coach K & Duke's tradition and it would be a great fit. Not to stereotype but he seems like a Duke kid. Reminds me a lot of Grant Hill. Really classy kid. I read on phog in his game today he scored 35 on 11 shots. Wow!

Nah, Royce is a 6'3 combo guard and Clark is a 6'6 wing. They don't play the same position at all and regardless you gotta have more guys. Royce is under the radar right now, it's not like he's a top 10 player or anything.

Wing guards are interchangeable in College. Cheno, you should know that. KU played Collins, Morningstar, and Taylor together last year. None of those guys are wing forwards. Fact is Clark's not going to split minutes with Taylor, Woolridge, E. Johnson, and Henry. You may think KU is such a worthy school that a kid will do that, but not a kid this good. Lance Stephenson wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
Wing guards are interchangeable in College. Cheno, you should know that. KU played Collins, Morningstar, and Taylor together last year. None of those guys are wing forwards. Fact is Clark's not going to split minutes with Taylor, Woolridge, E. Johnson, and Henry. You may think KU is such a worthy school that a kid will do that, but not a kid this good. Lance Stephenson wouldn't do it.

:ez-roll:
KU doesn't have a scholarship for Lance Stephenson. And kids do it all the time..that's why UNC, Duke, etc are so good. And if Clark is as good as you say, and I believe he is, why would he worry about not playing? Plus you are making a huge assumption Henry is back when he has said he wants to be one and done. I don't think Clark would be worried about not getting minutes in a rotation of Tyshawn Taylor, EJ & Woolridge. Bottom line is all 3 of those guys are 6'3 or under. Clark would start at the 3. You are reaching dude. You aren't giving Cam Clark any credit.

OU is in GREAT shape to get Clark, in fact I think Capel lands him, but it will be because Capel is a great coach and he's creating something special at OU not because future MCDAA Cam Clark is worried about riding the pine at KU.

Back