Heard an interesting and intriguing name tonight

I really don't know how to feel with this. Are we falling in love with another guy because he has a recruiting "gimmick", like we thought Capel had?

Capel had a recruiting gimmick? Does he have any time under a coaching Legend? Jim Cleamons has NINE championship rings.

i don't think he has the personality to be a college coach, and it's been 20 years since his stint at youngstown state, and i can't find his record. but only two years, so it i'm guessing it wasn't great. just not seeing it.

Capel had a recruiting gimmick? Does he have any time under a coaching Legend? Jim Cleamons has NINE championship rings.

Everyone thought Capel would be a recruiting machine because he had the "cool" factor, played at Duke, and had a recognizable name. Everyone thinks Cleamons would be a recruting machine because he can drop names and flash NBA title rings. However, does anyone definitely know how good of a recruiter Cleamons would be at the college level? No. That's why I say it is a risky hire.

Dayum! I am getting old. I remember watching Cleamons play at tOSU. What about having a connection to the region?

By region, do you mean the entire country? His "Hi, I'm Jim Cleamons, a former coach with the LA Lakers" would play anywhere. The stories he could tell would have kids and their parents hanging on every word. This would be that home run hire we've been waiting for.

Everyone thought Capel would be a recruiting machine because he had the "cool" factor, played at Duke, and had a recognizable name. Everyone thinks Cleamons would be a recruting machine because he can drop names and flash NBA title rings. However, does anyone definitely know how good of a recruiter Cleamons would be at the college level? No. That's why I say it is a risky hire.
Jeff had a passion for recruiting but he couldn't close the deal.

This could be very interesting if he would bring Terry Evans on staff.

Thats what I'm thinking.

If Terry is serious about becoming OU's coach one day then he has two options. Get on with a small D-1 school as a head coach and have success there or if OU hires an older guy (like Clemons) get on his staff.

If OU were to hire Clemons and I was Evans I would call as soon as possible for an interview to be an assistant. If Evans proved to be a good recruiter and OU succeed under Clemons, then when Clemons leaves (remember he's 62) Evan would then have to be one of the top options, right?

Re: Heard a very interesting and intriguing name tonight

:ez-laugh::ez-laugh::ez-laugh:

I wish he were 10 years younger.

My preferred "NBA assistant" candidate, Terry Stotts (provided he hasn't turned it down already) is 10 years younger than Cleamons and is an OU grad. Get him a young guy with both OU and recruiting ties (maybe Evans, or maybe Kermit Holmes or Jeff Webster), and let's see what happens.

Stotts may not have been the second coming of Phil Jackson as an NBA head coach with Milwaukee or Atlanta, but the fact that he got to that position in the first place ought to be worth some "cred."

I lived in Dallas when Cleamons coached the Mavs. It was brutal. They could barely score 90 points a game.

He's not head coach material.

Upside yes, but a risky experiment. Not the right time for that.

If he could bring some recruiters with him, I suppose I wouldn't be against it.

<sigh>

Would Cleamons be a home run or a long fly out?

If he came in at $ 1.5, brought the triangle offense, and we budgeted $ 1 million for assistants it might a feasible project.

Here's the staff I'd try for:

Terry Evans - Coach the little guys, knows the area, future D1 head coach

Jeff Webster - Knows Texas as well as anyone. Coach the posts. Makes decent money as an AAU coach but not as well as we'll pay him OR

Stacey King - Wants to be a college coach. Was successful as an CBA coach. Wants to coach at OU. Wants to recruit, has connections and could win any press conference. Knows Cleamons from Chicago.

Scottie Pippen - Can coach and recruit the wings. From Arkansas. Knows Cleamons, needs the money, and wants to coach.

If you had this staff, you could ring whip a recruit. Stacey or Scottie shows up at a recruit's house wearing 3 to 5 NBA championship rings. Conversation starter.

Come back to meet coach. Overwhelm the recruit with rings. Every time a joke is cracked, championship rings meet in a fist bump. Recruit returns home dizzy from all the Michael, Kobe, Shack and Scottie stories.

Last edited:
Would Cleamons be a home run or a long fly out?

If he came in at $ 1.5, brought the triangle offense, and we budgeted $ 1 million for assistants it might a feasible project.

Here's the staff I'd try for:

Terry Evans - Coach the little guys, knows the area, future D1 head coach

Jeff Webster - Knows Texas as well as anyone. Coach the posts. Makes decent money as an AAU coach but not as well as we'll pay him OR

Stacey King - Wants to be a college coach. Was successful as an CBA coach. Wants to coach at OU. Wants to recruit, has connections and could win any press conference. Knows Cleamons from Chicago.

Scottie Pippen - Can coach and recruit the wings. From Arkansas. Knows Cleamons, needs the money, and wants to coach.

If you had this staff, you could ring whip a recruit. Stacey or Scottie shows up at a recruit's house wearing 3 to 5 NBA championship rings. Conversation starter.

Come back to meet coach. Overwhelm the recruit with rings. Every time a joke is cracked, championship rings meet in a fist bump. Recruit returns home dizzy from all the Michael, Kobe, Shack and Scottie stories.
I like the way you're thinking, except for Pippen...dude is as smart as my shoe and I'd have to take a pass on that one.

We need to go get Paul Westhead and get this thing over with.

BRING BACK THE RUN AND GUN!!!!

Re: Heard a very interesting and intriguing name tonight

Someone tell me what to think about this

Haha. You summed up my feelings of the last two weeks perfectly.

Back