Home court advantage...

campbest

Reaction score
Just watched the second half of the BYU-New Mexico game...man, The Pit is an unbelievable environment. The place was rocking the entire game.

Wish we could get some of that.

That is just a great arena to watch hoop in. Great "feel".

However, all venues are great when full and the fans are into it...

I also saw it in the Pit when OU played out there in December of '88. We were a 30-win team, and probably 20 points better than UNM in any other arena. But that night, we had to rally in the final minute to win by four.

OU-UNM-2.jpg

P.S. - I would also hope that the people who did show up last night really got behind the depleted team. I would guess that a lot of people who saw that both Crocker and Warren were out didn't get too optimistic.

Just watched the second half of the BYU-New Mexico game...man, The Pit is an unbelievable environment. The place was rocking the entire game.

I've attended 2 basketball games at The Pit. You're right, the enviroment is unreal. I'll never understood how they get so pumped up over their basketball team, but they do. Take in a game there if you ever get a chance.

I also saw it in the Pit when OU played out there in December of '88. We were a 30-win team, and probably 20 points better than UNM in any other arena. But that night, we had to rally in the final minute to win by four.

OU-UNM-2.jpg

Looks like Skeeter and Andre Wiley and Stacy King. Look up top, standing room only. Great pic.

BYU was a top ranked team. Wait until Texas comes into town the LNC will rock as well.

Last night sucked crowdwise (it did for OSU as well) but it was pretty easy to see why if you look at the conditions:

1. Ice storm paranoia sweeps across Oklahoma...thus people are stocking up on generators and food...not going to a basketball game. I think some folks just decided to stay home and watch the women on tv instead of getting out into the "storm" (even though it was hours away).

2. SOTU address tonight.

3. Church night (we always have drawn poorly on Wednesdays). Last year, our lowest butts in the seats conference crowd was the Wednesday night game against Nebbish (9,600 butts in seats attendance).

4. The Thunder had a home game against Chicago

5. OU is struggling

6. ISU sucks

7. 8 pm tip on a work night

We are 10-0 at home. Home court advantage is the least of my worries with this team this year.

Should of prefaced my post by saying I wasn't trying to call out the OU fanbase or individual posters for their efforts. There are many legitimate reasons for not having a sold out arena last night, not pointing any fingers. If you go to OUI, there is a thread where I vastly supported OU's atmosphere.

Just had the opportunity to watch almost the entire UNM/BYU game and that place was non-stop for 40 minutes. Obviously I might be a bit biased as someone who has attended/played in that gym, but when that place is packed it is the best home environment in the nation. I will defend the notion that an OU vs. OSU/KU/UT atmosphere is no where near a UNM vs. BYU/Utah. Makes it even more special when the fact is during the Ritchie McKay years, they were barely pulling half of what they do now. Just goes to show you what a good product can do for the fanbase.

Was just an observation on my part, not trying to downplay OU at all. Just because I mention another topic in CBB doesn't mean it is a round about way of insulting OU. Highly suggest attending a game in that arena.

Remember when we wore those throwbacks for a home game two years ago (The infamous scoring drought by Texas A and M game)? Why THE HELL do they not have those as alternates for big-time games? I would love to stroll in Gallagher-Iba with those crimson ones on.

Looks like Skeeter and Andre Wiley and Stacy King. Look up top, standing room only. Great pic.

Glad you liked it. I had a blast at that game, especially being at floor level at the south end (and could use my old Minolta to get those color shots). King scored 55 points in two games against the Lobos in his career. Stacey's second choice was UNM, by the way.

One other amazing stat from the two games they played back then (Feb. '88 in Norman; Dec. '88 in Albuquerque) was that OU had something like 10 dunks in the game in Norman and won by 20 points. OU had zero dunks in the rematch at the Pit and won by four.

Back