How does the transfer change your recruiting outlook?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Does getting the SWAC Freshman of the Year for the 2010 class change your expectations for the 2010 class? Does it change your outlook on prospects OU may or may not sign?

-TJ Taylor (4 star guard out of Texas)
-Barry Honore (SWAC Freshman of the Year, 6'7'' 230 post)

There are at least 3 more spots to fill. Just an early guess, I bet they go like this:

-JP Olukemi (6'7'' 215 juco wing)
-Cameron Clark (6'6'' 185 MCDAA Candidate)
-Rickey Scott (6'2'' 195, 4 star guard out of Texas)

I am a little skeptical on our class now...we almost have to sign one more top prospect to have any kind of a decent class...and would have to sign two more to be in the 15-20 top recruiting classes like we should be

Fitzgerald, Orlando, Gallon, and Barry combine to weigh 1,070 pounds.
Are we back to assuming Tiny is going to be back?
Cuz if Tiny is back then the need for a post is somewhat satisfied by Barry (not that a Terrance Jones, Tobias Harris, James Johnson player still wouldn't be welcomed with open arms).

I was never on the bus that thought Tiny was going to go pro after one year. That does not mean that I don't think he has the raw talent to do it - which he does - it's just that I think there are enough reasons to stay. As the season plays out, we'll see how Tiny adjusts to the elevated competition in the Big XII, see his all-around skills, see how much of a game-changer he truly is, see how well he adjusts to the conditioning aspect of college basketball, etc. Make no mistake, NBA teams do draft on potential from time to time, but looking back on just the last few draft classes shows you that it is usually the freak athletes who make the jump as frosh. Most others wait a year or two. With his ability, he might be able to make that jump, but a year can make a huge difference between a fringe 1st rounder and a lottery pick.

This transfer doesn't say--to me--that our recruiting is taking a swan dive, so much as it says maybe Coach Capel knows something about the situation with Tiny that we don't, at the moment.

Are we back to assuming Tiny is going to be back?
Cuz if Tiny is back then the need for a post is somewhat satisfied by Barry (not that a Terrance Jones, Tobias Harris, James Johnson player still wouldn't be welcomed with open arms).

I am hoping Tiny is back.

Not every class is going to have a top 10 player in it. Expectations are already out of whack for some fans. If we land the class listed above, that is a pretty darn good class.

I don't think many are expecting a top 10 player in every class, I think most want at least one top 30 player each class (aka a McDonald's All Americans, which isn't too outrageous). Also they want the expected needs to be addressed with top tier players, aka post players for this upcoming class.

Not every class is going to have a top 10 player in it. Expectations are already out of whack for some fans. If we land the class listed above, that is a pretty darn good class.

Agree...people need to tone down the rhetoric a bit. I'm glad we are competing with some top schools for players, but you have to expect to strike out from time to time when you're going up against them on a regular basis. Plus, it appears the talent in our "area" is a bit down this year.

A class of Taylor, Barry, Olukemi, Clark and either Releford or Scott would be a great class.

I don't think many are expecting a top 10 player in every class, I think most want at least one top 30 player each class (aka a McDonald's All Americans, which isn't too outrageous). Also they want the expected needs to be addressed with top tier players, aka post players for this upcoming class.

You don't think expecting a McD's AA every year is a little much?

Why do we have to have a top 30 player in the post to win games? To win ALOT of games? Geez.

We have had 4 in 3 years, I guess that is a little too much for a program like OU.

This.

I don't think many are expecting a top 10 player in every class, I think most want at least one top 30 player each class (aka a McDonald's All Americans, which isn't too outrageous).

Its ridiculous to expect a Mcdonalds All-American in every class.

A class of Taylor, Barry, Olukemi, Clark and either Releford or Scott would be a great class.

This.

You don't think expecting a McD's AA every year is a little much?

It is a ridiculous expectation.

We have had 4 in 3 years, I guess that is a little too much for a program like OU.

I am betting that will be the exception, not the rule.

So it is wrong to assume a program with a coach who is a good/great recruiter, coming off a very successful season, with good facilities, good tradition and in a power conference can't consistently recruit elite players?
Maybe every year is wrong, but I don't see why that is too unrealistic. Capel has done it 3 years running and I think you are kidding yourself about where this program is if you are not expecting Capel to consistently get top tier players to come here.

Oh dear, lots of SQ club members in this thread -- Sid isn't going to like this!

Seems a bit of a comedown after all the speculation about 4 and 5 * guys mentioning us.

So it is wrong to assume a program with a coach who is a good/great recruiter, coming off a very successful season, with good facilities, good tradition and in a power conference can't consistently recruit elite players?

You can assume all you want, I just doubt it happens.

Maybe every year is wrong, but I don't see why that is too unrealistic.

Because landing an MCDAA every year is unheard of at Oklahoma.

Capel has done it 3 years running and I think you are kidding yourself about where this program is if you are not expecting Capel to consistently get top tier players to come here.

Well that would depend on where you think this program is. I dont see how Capel has elevated this program to some crazy level yet, because he hasnt won anything. He has done a great job, dont get me wrong, but he hasnt taken the program to new heights or anything. OU had 3 NBA players last year including the #1 pick (and the National Player of the Year) and didnt win the Big 12 regular season, Big 12 Tournament, or make a Final Four. It was a great season, dont get me wrong, but nothing happened to elevate the level of the program to some kind of powerhouse.

Am I wrong here?

Maybe every year is wrong, but I don't see why that is too unrealistic. Capel has done it 3 years running and I think you are kidding yourself about where this program is if you are not expecting Capel to consistently get top tier players to come here.

I expect him to go after top players, but I'm also realistic on the chances of reeling in a McDonald's All-American from Oregon. A lot of the recruiting success Capel is going to have at this juncture in his career is dependent on the talent in our realtive recruiting "area". Look at the McD's we've pulled in already: OKC, Fort Worth and Houston. It's tough to get an 18 year old to move to the Southwest when they might be able to play for a very high profile team on the coasts, in a large media market.

I have no doubt Capel will continue to get McD's in the future, but to expect that he get one every year (or every other year) for that matter is a little suspect; at least until we make a few tournament runs. Last year was great, should we expect Mizzou to have a McD's every year, they went to the Elite Eight. This is the perfect year for Capel to pick up on one or two guys that will be 3-4 year contributors, you know, the type of players which have been discussed over the last week.

Also, If Clark signs then this whole thread is pointless...the kid is going to be a stud wherever he goes.

Seems a bit of a comedown after all the speculation about 4 and 5 * guys mentioning us.

It is...but when most of the board only wants to talk about 5*'s you get sucked into the thought that OU is going to get one in every class. It doesn't happen.

It is...but when most of the board only wants to talk about 5*'s you get sucked into the thought that OU is going to get one in every class. It doesn't happen.

I talk about others, but I get blasted for not thinking OU will sign 6 lottery picks or 6 MCDAA's.

Back