How does the transfer change your recruiting outlook?

I'm only speaking for myself here, but my problem is with all this talk of new heights being reached already. Capel hasn't done anything, outside of his great run on McDs AA's, that hasn't already been done at OU.

he has done quite a bit actually. With your thinking, I guess Bill Self, Roy Williams, etc havent done anything great since their respective schools have already accomplished all the things that they acomplished

he has done quite a bit actually. With your thinking, I guess Bill Self, Roy Williams, etc havent done anything great since their respective schools have already accomplished all the things that they acomplished

Nobody is claiming those guys took those programs to "new heights" either.

Let's see. 1. Most wins by a coach during first three seasons. 2. Best winning percentage of any coach during his first three seasons. 3. Recruited four MCDD AAs already. How many more will there be! 4. Had the #1 player overall in the NBA draft! WOW! 5. Had two players drafted and signed (both in the same year) in the NBA draft. Now that's impressive. I don't know what you define as new heights, but I just stated them for you if you don't know what they are. Many programs would like to have our coach. I for one am glad that he resides right here at the University of Oklahoma. Just keep watching. We'll get that BIG 12 championship and if he stays here long enought a NC. But let me remind you of this. Adversity bit us at the wrong time this past year. That wasn't something Coach Capel could control. Keep watching bud. You'll have to give it up to our coach SOONER or later. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Let's see. 1. Most wins by a coach during first three seasons. 2. Best winning percentage of any coach during his first three seasons. 3. Recruited four MCDD AAs already. How many more will there be! 4. Had the #1 player overall in the NBA draft! WOW! 5. Had two players drafted and signed (both in the same year) in the NBA draft. Now that's impressive. I don't know what you define as new heights, but I just stated them for you if you don't know what they are. Many programs would like to have our coach. I for one am glad that he resides right here at the University of Oklahoma. Just keep watching. We'll get that BIG 12 championship and if he stays here long enought a NC. But let me remind you of this. Adversity bit us at the wrong time this past year. That wasn't something Coach Capel could control. Keep watching bud. You'll have to give it up to our coach SOONER or later. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

My God you sound like a UT football fan, circa 2000-2004.

Yes, the recruiting stuff, and the NBA stuff is great. But until it translates to championships, I really don't care. OU basketball isn't more interesting, or more fun for me b/c we have NBA players. I was no more enamored with last years team b/c they had Blake, then I was with the 2002 team that had Ace and Hollis. I like good college basketball, and that can be played by NBA players, and non-NBA players. Capel will be remembered for what his OU teams do on the court, their wins, their losses, their championships. Not how many NBA guys he produced. And on the court, while I've been impressed, he hasn't done anything that OU basketball hasn't already done. Championships.....that is what it takes to for OU to reach the next level. That is it. Maybe Jeff's improved recruiting will get us there. Maybe it won't. TIME will tell.

Last edited:
Just kidding. I don't ignore people who I disagree with. I ignore people who are about to push my already tenuous mental health over the edge.

Yes, the recruiting stuff, and the NBA stuff is great.

Not if it doesnt produce conference championships or final fours. The NBA stuff isnt Jeff Capel at all anyways, those are individual player accomplishments. Capel didnt turn Blake into in NBA Player. Homey The Clown could put Blake in the NBA. That doesnt mean I dont think Jeff is a good coach, but he isnt responsible for putting Blake or Willie in the NBA.

I was no more enamored with last years team b/c they had Blake, then I was with the 2002 team that had Ace and Hollis.

I was more enamored in 2002 because that team won the Big 12 and went to the Final Four with a legit shot to win the whole thing.

Capel will be remembered for what his OU teams do on the court, their wins, their losses, their championships. Not how many NBA guys he produced.

Agree.

And on the court, while I've been impressed, he hasn't done anything that OU basketball hasn't already done.

Agree.

Way to gang up on FS, guys. Do you have a meeting of condescending Debbie downers to find ways to destroy sunshine pumpers? FS may be overbearing, but no more than skyvue, TU and ABD.

In some ways, Capel has raised the program to heights it has never been. The national perception of the program is the highest it has been in a while. The program has become relevant in the eyes of young men that used to ignore OU. This is not a slight against Kelvin. The fact that he won as much as he did with only one NBA player is a testament to his coaching ability. Kelvin reached heights (FF and Big XII Titles) that Capel hasn't. But then, Capel has only been here for 3 years. How many Final Fours did KS go to in his first three years? Every compliment to Capel is not an insult to Sampson.

Capel has done more in recruiting and developing pros than Sampson did. Sampson accomplished more on the court than Capel has. Who cares?

And Capel has accomplished things:

NCAA Tourney (First 3 years)
Capel 4-2
Sampson 0-3

Sampson didn't win his first tournament game until his 5th year (Capel in year 2). He didn't reach the Elite 8 until his 8th year (Capel in year 3).

Last edited:
Way to gang up on FS, guys. Do you have a meeting of condescending Debbie downers to find ways to destroy sunshine pumpers? FS may be overbearing, but no more than skyvue, TU and ABD.

Sooner or later, you'll be lectured about how you aren't a sufficient enough fan, and you'll understand. It's incredibly insulting.

I guess I haven't posted enough to run in to that. If FS does that, he should be banished to Orange Power for 2 weeks.

Do you have a meeting of condescending Debbie downers to find ways to destroy sunshine pumpers?

Tuesdays at 7:00, after Wii Bowling.

Every compliment to Capel is not an insult to Sampson.

Nobody said it is.

Sooner or later, you'll be lectured about how you aren't a sufficient enough fan, and you'll understand. It's incredibly insulting.

Happens to me all the time.

Last edited:

In some ways, Capel has raised the program to heights it has never been. The national perception of the program is the highest it has been in a while. The program has become relevant in the eyes of young men that used to ignore OU. This is not a slight against Kelvin. The fact that he won as much as he did with only one NBA player is a testament to his coaching ability. Kelvin reached heights (FF and Big XII Titles) that Capel hasn't. But then, Capel has only been here for 3 years. How many Final Fours did KS go to in his first three years? Every compliment to Capel is not an insult to Sampson.

Capel has done more in recruiting and developing pros than Sampson did. He also made it to has won . Sampson accomplished more on the court than Capel has. Who cares?

And Capel has accomplished things:

NCAA Tourney (First 3 years)
Capel 4-2
Sampson 0-3

Sampson didn't win his first tournament game until his 5th year (Capel in year 2). He didn't reach the Elite 8 until his 8th year (Capel in year 3).

brian2.gif

This week can we play Tiger Woods '10 instead? It's pretty sweet.

Alright back on track. This thread has certainly taken some interesting turns. I think that this latest walk-on shows that Coach Capel has some talented kids (like Barry and TJ Franklin), who are players good enough to earn scholarships at other D1 programs, that want to come and walk-on and be apart of Sooner basketball. I like that!

Are you saying Sampson couldn't get good walk-ons?

Juuuuuust kidding.

Having skilled walk-ons is important to the long term health of a program.

This is so funny now. The members of vue and the few don't understand that the first two stats are about winning. They also don't understand how the adversity we have faced came at a very bad time this year. Otherwise we're Big 12 regular season champs. Guys this is hilarious. I'll just end my part in this thread by sending this message to vue and the crew. We will win championships and our program will continue to rise. Take your subtle shots at Coach Capel all you want. The way I look at it is that when he wins a Big 12 basketball championship. You guys will say. Well he won't win a NC. Then if he wins a NC. You will still be taking your little shots. By this time everyone on the board will realize what this argument is really about. By the way. The part of my previous post is about Coach Capel developing players. If you don't think Coach Capel and Coach Cline didn't have a part in improving Blake's game you're crazy. We know what the crew thinks about Taylor. He's just got drafted because of luck right? Guys I'll be right here. I love this board. Believe it or not I love the discussions. It's all about opinions and you guys that are in vue and the few have a right to yours too. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Back