How does the transfer change your recruiting outlook?

I think that this latest walk-on shows that Coach Capel has some talented kids (like Barry and TJ Franklin), who are players good enough to earn scholarships at other D1 programs, that want to come and walk-on and be apart of Sooner basketball. I like that!

Well, said! Me likee, too.

This is so funny now. The members of vue and the few don't understand that the first two stats are about winning. They also don't understand how the adversity we have faced came at a very bad time this year. Otherwise we're Big 12 regular season champs. Guys this is hilarious. I'll just end my part in this thread by sending this message to vue and the crew. We will win championships and our program will continue to rise. Take your subtle shots at Coach Capel all you want. The way I look at it is that when he wins a Big 12 basketball championship. You guys will say. Well he won't win a NC. Then if he wins a NC. You will still be taking your little shots. By this time everyone on the board will realize what this argument is really about. By the way. The part of my previous post is about Coach Capel developing players. If you don't think Coach Capel and Coach Cline didn't have a part in improving Blake's game you're crazy. We know what the crew thinks about Taylor. He's just got drafted because of luck right? Guys I'll be right here. I love this board. Believe it or not I love the discussions. It's all about opinions and you guys that are in vue and the few have a right to yours too. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

There are enough straw men in this post build... uh... I don't know. Something very large out of straw. Perhaps not a straw mansion, but a straw very-large-house at least.

Yes, the recruiting stuff, and the NBA stuff is great. But until it translates to championships, I really don't care.

Great then Sampson's name should never be brought up because he didn't do anything then. Jeez, we had to listen to you for years about how Sampson did more with less and that OU couldn't recruit big-time players.
Now that we are getting bigtime players it doesn't matter. Only championships matter. By your logic, so what Sampson did was nothing plus he left OU on probation and was banished from the game.
Interesting take you have on Capel....that you really don't care until he wins it all. Ummm, he's been here 3 years dude. And he's doing something you and the few said couldn't be done....recruiting big time talent. Keep livin' in the past.

First of all, you can take that tone, and hit the road. DON'T start twisting what I said, and making this about Sampson. Capel hasn't accomplished what Billy has either. This is about OU basketball history, not a coach.

Great then Sampson's name should never be brought up because he didn't do anything then.

That isn't what started this. I didn't say Capel hasn't done anything. I said Capel hasn't done anything, outside of the McD AA recruiting, that OU BASKETBALL hasn't done before.

Jeez, we had to listen to you for years about how Sampson did more with less and that OU couldn't recruit big-time players.

I never once said OU couldn't recruit big-time players. Not one time. Alot of OU coaches have done so. None to the extent of Capel to date though.

Now that we are getting bigtime players it doesn't matter. Only championships matter. By your logic, so what Sampson did was nothing plus he left OU on probation and was banished from the game.

Huh? I never said recruiting studs didn't matter. I said it doesn't trump on the court accomplishments. Capel can recruit all 5* guys, or all 2* guys. I really don't care as long as he wins. Again with the Sampson did nothing.....I never said Capel did nothing, I said he hasn't done anything NEW. Is it really difficult for a few of you guys to read and comprehend? My God.

Interesting take you have on Capel....that you really don't care until he wins it all. Ummm, he's been here 3 years dude. And he's doing something you and the few said couldn't be done....recruiting big time talent. Keep livin' in the past.

AGAIN.....I never said I don't care. My one and only point was that recruiting doesn't really matter if it doesn't improve what gets done ON THE COURT. And to date, it hasn't. Yes, I realize it has been only 3 years.....hence my statement earlier about Capel possibly doing things that haven't been done, IN TIME. Lets wait until he does those things before annointing him something he isn't yet.

First of all, you can take that tone, and hit the road. DON'T start twisting what I said, and making this about Sampson. Capel hasn't accomplished what Billy has either. This is about OU basketball history, not a coach.

That isn't what started this. I didn't say Capel hasn't done anything. I said Capel hasn't done anything, outside of the McD AA recruiting, that OU BASKETBALL hasn't done before.

I never once said OU couldn't recruit big-time players. Not one time. Alot of OU coaches have done so. None to the extent of Capel to date though.

Huh? I never said recruiting studs didn't matter. I said it doesn't trump on the court accomplishments. Capel can recruit all 5* guys, or all 2* guys. I really don't care as long as he wins. Again with the Sampson did nothing.....I never said Capel did nothing, I said he hasn't done anything NEW. Is it really difficult for a few of you guys to read and comprehend? My God.

AGAIN.....I never said I don't care. My one and only point was that recruiting doesn't really matter if it doesn't improve what gets done ON THE COURT. And to date, it hasn't. Yes, I realize it has been only 3 years.....hence my statement earlier about Capel possibly doing things that haven't been done, IN TIME. Lets wait until he does those things before annointing him something he isn't yet.

He has the best record (# and %) in his first three years than any coach in OU's history. I think he is putting up the results ON THE COURT. You really have nothing to complain about right now. Let's hope it stays that way.

He has the best record (# and %) in his first three years than any coach in OU's history. I think he is putting up the results ON THE COURT. You really have nothing to complain about right now. Let's hope it stays that way.

I'm not complaining, but that stat is a lame one to use. It's like comparing RBI's between players in baseball. Different situations, different rosters, different in state recruits the following year, different conferences, different strengths of area teams, different schedules, different number of games, etc.

It's a worthless stat, and yes, I'd say so if Kelvin "held the record."

Capel is doing a very good job. I'm happy. While I see the potential for him to take OU basketball (the program) to the next level, he hasn't done so yet. In time he might. That really isn't arguable.

Capel also has better record in the NCAA Tourney than either Tubbs or Sampson in their first three years.

Capel: 4-2
Sampson: 0-3
Tubbs: 1-1

I'm not complaining, but that stat is a lame one to use. It's like comparing RBI's between players in baseball. Different situations, different rosters, different in state recruits the following year, different conferences, different strengths of area teams, different schedules, different number of games, etc.

It's a worthless stat, and yes, I'd say so if Kelvin "held the record."

Capel is doing a very good job. I'm happy. While I see the potential for him to take OU basketball (the program) to the next level, he hasn't done so yet. In time he might. That really isn't arguable.

Lame to you, yet impressive to me....

I think it says something when a coach holds that record at an all time top 25 hoops program, when he inherited a program that was on probation, lost 4/5ths of that top recruiting class when the first month of the season, and when the top player coming in to that year was hurt for the whole year and couldn't shoot the ball. Oh yeah, and he did it with piss poor fan support.

Impressive to me.

I agree with you though. He hasn't taken it beyond where it has been. I don't know anyone that is saying otherwise. Give him some time to do so though. Coach Sampson didn't go to his final four until his 7th season. Capel has time to get us to the level that we all want to get to. IF he stays, then I think he will.

The NBA and recruiting stuff IS important. It's important because it excites the fanbase, gets the media talking OU basketball, and makes it easier to continue to get talent into town.

Lame to you, yet impressive to me....

I think it says something when a coach holds that record at an all time top 25 hoops program, when he inherited a program that was on probation, lost 4/5ths of that top recruiting class when the first month of the season, and when the top player coming in to that year was hurt for the whole year and couldn't shoot the ball. Oh yeah, and he did it with piss poor fan support.

Impressive to me.

Fair enough. There is a reason that school and NCAA record books don't contain entries for "first three years", or best coaching records on Thursday, though. And I didn't say it wasn't somewhat impressive. We all know that I don't think the program was in dire straits like some here do though.

I agree with you though. He hasn't taken it beyond where it has been. I don't know anyone that is saying otherwise. Give him some time to do so though. Coach Sampson didn't go to his final four until his 7th season. Capel has time to get us to the level that we all want to get to. IF he stays, then I think he will.

That is the ONLY point I've been trying to make. And yes, there are several posters IN THIS THREAD that are claiming the overall OU program is in better shape than it has ever been. You said give him time.....I absolutely am. That is all I am saying now, and that is all I said after his first season at OU. I could see the talent then, and I can see it now. I'm just not the type of guy that starts passing out props before those specific props are earned. When/if Capel takes OU to the next level (multiple conference championships, multiple FF's, or a NC), I'll be the first person in line to call him the best OU basketball coach. Until then, he is one of 3+ guys that have done an outstanding job here.

The NBA and recruiting stuff IS important. It's important because it excites the fanbase, gets the media talking OU basketball, and makes it easier to continue to get talent into town.

I guess I just can't relate to those kinds of fans. I don't need that stuff. And while NBA/fast pace offenses may excite the casual fan, none of them follow recruiting enough to know the difference. And the media stuff comes with winning. We got TONS of coverage back in the 2002 and 2003 seasons. I see your point, I just don't buy into quite that much.

I think this years recruiting class (2010) will be the tale tale sign on how well he can consistently bring talent in. He had taylor which pretty much gave us a great shot at getting blake so I felt like that was kinda handed to capel..capel did well in getting warren but who wouldnt want to play with blake?? then after all the media hype led us to the outstanding class we have for 09

blake will be gone for a year and the dust will settle some, so we will see other than tj taylor what kind of big recruit we can snag if any.

But I do believe capel can and will do it....hopefully it will be cam clark...but who knows

This thread is very telling.

Coach Capel in his first 3 years has done things no other OU coach has done from a wins & % standpoint, from an NCAA tourney record standpoint and from a recruiting standpoint. Pretty much the 3 things that count. Plus he's done all this with class and dignity and by the rules after coming into a mess and the program on probation.
To even attempt to poo-poo that is telling.
To try and compare the history of a coach with 3 years under his belt to the complete work of other coaches over the course of 10+ years is silly.
Again Capel has done things no other OU coach in the history of the program has done in their first 3 years....and he's done it under extreme adversity.

And yes, there are several posters IN THIS THREAD that are claiming the overall OU program is in better shape than it has ever been.

Who would those people be and what did they say. I must have missed that.
Everything I've read is about Capel taking the program to new heights...not that he's already done it....even though in his first 3 years he's had a record on and off the court that no other coach at OU has been able to do.

Right on. What's up Cheno? This has been a very interesting thread. I'm signing off. Vue and the few. Nice discussion. I'll just end by saying Coach Capel is doing a great job and rebuilt our program back to national respectability. THANKS COACH CAPEL! :boomer:sooner BABY!!!

This thread has definitely gotten way off track...if you haven't read the progression it doesn't make yourself look good to jump in the middle and make assumptions about who said what. Sampson was never brought up at any point. No one is knocking Capel at all, everyone seems to be very pleased with his progress...end of story.

Now for the full context of Faithful's post:

Keep living in the past. Just keep down playing what's been done. You guys who keep saying this non-sense are also the ones who think that he didn't have to restore the program back to what it is now. But I'm sure that when he does win that first big 12 championship, you guys will come up with something else. We went to the Great 8, had the #1 pick in the whole NBA draft, and have taken our recruiting to new heights. That sure looks like he's done alot to me. Oh yeah he's already sent two players to the NBA in less than five years. That means that players under him have improved enough to move on to the league. The whole program to me looks better to me than it has ever looked. Also, many programs want our coach. Yea, the one that you guys keep down playing. WHAT A JOKE! Keep watching the program get better. We all should want the program to be better than it has ever been. We shouldn't keep dwelling on the past. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

He doesn't say the program has accomplished more or things that have never been accomplished other than he said recruiting has been taken to new heights (which it has). I don't think Capel has taken OU to it's heightest level yet. Tubbs and Sampson had us in the FF4. I do think the OU program, as Faithful said, looks better than it has ever looked. Meaning the blocks are being put in place to take the program higher than it's ever been. With recruiting, national recognition & media coverage and the energy, life and passion that Coach Capel has brought to this program. I love it.
Don't see the need to crap all over the enthusiasm and downplay what Coach Capel has done. Remember it's only his 3rd year and he's had more success in wins (regular season and big dance) and than any other coach in OU history. And he's had more recruiting success than any other coach and has definitely taken that to places yet seen at OU. And remember all this has taken place directly after the scandal of the cheating and being put on probation. To downplay what Capel has done is astonishing to me.

Oh, and that's your:
And yes, there are several posters IN THIS THREAD that are claiming the overall OU program is in better shape than it has ever been.

That comment is what sent this thread south? It's early and I'm going to brush my teeth....I have a bad taste in my mouth.

Back