How long does Ryan Wright start?

SoonerChamp03

Banned
Reaction score
I say by conference season he is coming off the bench unless our opponent has a specific player that he can guard.

Ryan has to rebound and play solid defense if he wants to keep Fitz on the bench. He had a nice game on the boards last night, but really didn't do much beyond that to pad the stats sheet.

I've said all along that Fitzgerald will, at the minimum, log starter-like minutes by conference time. Judging by what I saw last night, I may have to move my prediction up a few games. IMO, he is an all-around better player than Wright or Allen. I'm basing that on last year's Big O, and I'm hoping he will prove me wrong.

The thing that makes Wright look so bad is his hands. Seriously, the skillet hands are about 99% of his issues. Obviously that isn't going to change this year, but I do think because some of the plays he is involved in are so frustrating that we aren't seeing the good things he does. He is physically strong, very athletic and seems to know his rotations and responsibilities. I think he will rebound pretty well and defend pretty well whenever he is in there. We will get frustrated when mishandles rebounds or passes, but I still think he gives us strong minutes. I think we are guilty of this with Crocker too, but its too often that we judge players based on what they do when the ball gets thrown to them. There's 80 minutes to share down low between the 4 guys, and I'd guess Ryan will get about 20 a game whether he remains the starter or not.

Also, I think starting Wright makes a lot more sense then bringing him off the bench. Fitzgerald would seem to good guy to bring in to change the energy in a game, especially if he plays against second unit players. Right now, I see them both contributing more in the roles they already have...

Wright had some very good plays last night. The block shot when the guy tried to drive in on him and the left hand put-back where he got fouled are two in particular. The problem with most fans is that they are only looking at the five or six minutes when the guy has the ball or is rebounding. They don't appreciate defensive rotation, hedging properly on screens, setting good screens, making solid cuts, etc. Also, people are judging Wright against the Griffins. Who, as we all know, are NBA talent guys.

I will say that Fitz is really impressive. But he missed two major rotations last night and also seemed not to know the offensive set on one play. Both are reasons he should come off the bench this year. Coming off the bench will allow him to get a feel for the game without the nerves of being on the floor. Capel can turn to him and say, see they are doing this on offense here is your rotation assignment if you see it. Capel is very good about putting guys where they need to be to succeed. And I think Fitz will be the most successful without the pressure of starting.

Wright had some very good plays last night. The block shot when the guy tried to drive in on him and the left hand put-back where he got fouled are two in particular. The problem with most fans is that they are only looking at the five or six minutes when the guy has the ball or is rebounding. They don't appreciate defensive rotation, hedging properly on screens, setting good screens, making solid cuts, etc. Also, people are judging Wright against the Griffins. Who, as we all know, are NBA talent guys.

I will say that Fitz is really impressive. But he missed two major rotations last night and also seemed not to know the offensive set on one play. Both are reasons he should come off the bench this year. Coming off the bench will allow him to get a feel for the game without the nerves of being on the floor. Capel can turn to him and say, see they are doing this on offense here is your rotation assignment if you see it. Capel is very good about putting guys where they need to be to succeed. And I think Fitz will be the most successful without the pressure of starting.

I agree with your take. I think Ryan could possibly start the entire year but end up playing fewer minutes than Fitz once all is said and done.

I really think we will see all four guys get minutes. If I were Capel and I believed I did not have any major difference between Fitzgerald, Wright and Allen, I would demand they all play very aggressively (use your fouls and get the other teams to use theirs) Not many Big XII teams can afford to lose a starter to foul trouble. That is an advantage for a team that has a four man rotation with only one true starter (Tiny). Just imagine if Moses fouls out for OSU, Aldridge for KU, or James for Texas. Those are huge losses. However if Wright or Allen foul out you might lose something defensively but you may get more offensive production with Fitzgerald.

4 bigs is about right for an average college low post rotation, we were spoiled last year with two not only really good players but very very well conditioned athletes in Blake and Taylor.
I think based on the exhibition game by the conference rolls around this will be the bulk of the big man rotation.

Tiny - 25 minutes
Fitz - 25 minutes
Ryan - 20 minutes
Orlando 10 minutes

Of course there is the 4 guard lineup which could be a factor into the minutes for the post players depending on how it plays out.

Let's give Ryan a few more games before we throw him out with the bath water. Ryan just needs to calm down and catch the ball. Coach Cline may have to get the tennis balls out like we used with Longar. However, now everyone can see the reason ADA and I were so high on Fitz. Just wait until this kid learns his plays. He will be a monster. I think he had a very good start to the season. The kid is all heart. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I'm not sure people are down on Ryan Wright as much as they are high on Fitzgerald.

I'm not sure people are down on Ryan Wright as much as they are high on Fitzgerald.

this ...

i think RW will have a good year and average something like 5 and 5 it is just that the 2 frosh big men are much more talented with bigger upsides

Let Ryan Wright start all year. He's a good leader and can help set the tone of games. Finishing is the big question. Fitz will finish.

Back