How many scholarships does OSU have?

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
www.zagsblog.com aka JessieW's second favorite site.

NEW YORK – Former Fordham point guard Jio Fontan is here at Madison Square Garden watching his former St. Anthony teammate Travon Woodall play for Pittsburgh against Indiana in the Jimmy V Classic.

The 6-foot-1 Fordham just received his conditional release from Fordham and said he plans to visit Indiana this coming weekend and USC the following weekend.

“Those two visits are the only ones set,” Fontan told me. “Indiana this weekend and USC the following weekend.”

Fontan also hopes to visit Miami, Kansas State and Oklahoma State in coming weeks.

Fontan’s release prevents him from playing for another A-10 school or any program in the tri-state area.

One Atlantic 10 coach told me it was unfair of Fordham to prevent him from playing locally, but Jio doesn’t mind.

“I’ll take the release if I can get it,” he said.

Page
Penn
dowell
gulley
sidorkas
franklin
brown
williams
Olukemi
moses
pilgram
cobbins
shaw
walker
akol
williams
anderson

That makes 17 for next year and ford is still shopping around. Really shows how much Ford cares about his players.....

Anderson will most likely go to the draft but for the other 3 who really knows. Im going to guess dowell, shaw, and walker or akol whichever one ford thinks sucks most!

Eventually Fords recruiting stratagies will catch up with him......

Why would anyone commit to a guy doing that?

Fords victim list

Dee Proby- Ford took away his scholarship. Ok bc it was given by Sutton
Ibrahima Thomas- Ford didnt like him and ran him off primarily
Martavious Adams- Same as above
Malcolm Kirkland- Had to make room for other players. his only player from last years team too......sad lol
Brad Garrett

I have to be missing one or two and you can count in three this year as well.

A lot of teams have guys not qualify or transfer, but he is running people off and is recruiting their spot while they are there. Why would you go somewhere where your scholarship is not guaranteed?

High school coaches are going to notice and tell their guys not to go to OSU. I think it is very short sited.

When they started giving only 1 yr contracts on those scholarships (sometime around when i went to college in 94) it turned into much more of a business...

You better come in and work your butt off or you will be looking for somewhere else to play...

Is it right to do that? probably not...but i see it from the coaches standpoint...you have to be successful now, and if you miss on a recruit or he is having a negative impact on your program then move on...

The thing that bothers me with how Ford is doing it apparently, is by overrecruiting he is already pre-determining that he will let someone go...either that or waste a recruits time if he rescinds the offer...that is bogus...

If he makes a habit out of crushing high school students by rescinding offers that is where it will come back to bite him...

Why would you go somewhere where your scholarship is not guaranteed?

It's that way EVERYWHERE. Scholarships are renewed year to year. And just b/c we don't always hear about it, kids get ran off alot more often than most think. What should Ford do, have to endure a roster made up of 1/4 kids that he doesn't think can contribute, until they graduate? I doubt the administration and fans at osu are going to be that patient with his on-court performance.

When they started giving only 1 yr contracts on those scholarships (sometime around when i went to college in 94) it turned into much more of a business...

You better come in and work your butt off or you will be looking for somewhere else to play...

Is it right to do that? probably not...but i see it from the coaches standpoint...you have to be successful now, and if you miss on a recruit or he is having a negative impact on your program then move on...

The thing that bothers me with how Ford is doing it apparently, is by overrecruiting he is already pre-determining that he will let someone go...either that or waste a recruits time if he rescinds the offer...that is bogus...

If he makes a habit out of crushing high school students by rescinding offers that is where it will come back to bite him...

This is the part that bothers me.

On the other hand, I think the players need to be held accountable for their development as well, it's not like the coaches can supervise their workouts much in the summer. In my opinion its a two way street, if an athlete is going to go to school for free, they either better be a really good student or contribute some positive toward their respective team. Scholarships shouldn't be considered a right once you get on campus, they were "earned" in high school and that should be the case once they arrive at OU.

It's that way EVERYWHERE. Scholarships are renewed year to year. And just b/c we don't always hear about it, kids get ran off alot more often than most think. What should Ford do, have to endure a roster made up of 1/4 kids that he doesn't think can contribute, until they graduate? I doubt the administration and fans at osu are going to be that patient with his on-court performance.

Yes, it is that way everywhere. However, most coaches sign a player for 4 years. It is pretty unusual to recruit over your limit every season.

Page
Penn
dowell
gulley
sidorkas
franklin
brown
williams
Olukemi
moses
pilgram
cobbins
shaw
walker
akol
williams
anderson

That makes 17 for next year and ford is still shopping around. Really shows how much Ford cares about his players.....

Anderson will most likely go to the draft but for the other 3 who really knows. Im going to guess dowell, shaw, and walker or akol whichever one ford thinks sucks most!

Eventually Fords recruiting stratagies will catch up with him......

You listed Williams twice, but that still leaves 2 extra players if Anderson goes to the NBA. I think he is counting on 1 of the 5 currently signed to not qualify and at least 1 guy to leave for more playing time.

Duke treats their ships as 4 year grants.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/192689.html

This is the important part of that entire article:

If the athlete can't compete, NCAA guidelines give the school the option not to renew the scholarship each year. Duke, however, states in its student-athlete handbook that the school treats athletic scholarships as four-year grants unless an athlete becomes ineligible for academic reasons or violations of policy.

If the athlete can't compete, NCAA guidelines give the school the option not to renew the scholarship each year. Duke, however, states in its student-athlete handbook that the school treats athletic scholarships as four-year grants unless an athlete becomes ineligible for academic reasons or violations of policy.

Then that is Duke's choice, but not NCAA-enforced.

Good for Duke, however, I would state they are recruiting a different type of college student than most schools. In addition, Coach K has a lifetime contract so he isn't worried about job security, plus they are going to get their fair share of blue-chippers who make up for the loss.

Now from a competitive standpoint, the last few years Duke has been VERY thin on the bench, they could of used a couple extra schollies.

You listed Williams twice, but that still leaves 2 extra players if Anderson goes to the NBA. I think he is counting on 1 of the 5 currently signed to not qualify and at least 1 guy to leave for more playing time.

He listed williams twice because their are 2. Brian and Darrell.

Dee Proby- Ford took away his scholarship. Ok bc it was given by Sutton
Ibrahima Thomas- Ford didnt like him and ran him off primarily
Martavious Adams- Same as above
Malcolm Kirkland- Had to make room for other players. his only player from last years team too......sad lol
Brad Garrett

Dee Proby - that situation is nothing new
Ibrahima didn't agree with Ford on his position and ford didn't budge so Ibrahima left.
Adams - no one really knows I believe he was set to transfer after having met ford once or twice so you may be correct.
Malcolm - so far is the only true "victim"
Brad got injured twice consecutively, graduated, got married and decided to move on rather than play one more year, though I don't doubt ford had something to do with that decision.

You could add Brad Reese, he was a commit for a few days and had a falling out for some reason.

Dee Proby - that situation is nothing new
Ibrahima didn't agree with Ford on his position and ford didn't budge so Ibrahima left.
Adams - no one really knows I believe he was set to transfer after having met ford once or twice so you may be correct.
Malcolm - so far is the only true "victim"
Brad got injured twice consecutively, graduated, got married and decided to move on rather than play one more year, though I don't doubt ford had something to do with that decision.

You could add Brad Reese, he was a commit for a few days and had a falling out for some reason.

The reason was Roger Franklin.

Sounds like Ford has been conferring with Budke. If the guys who are leaving don't graduate somewhere else, won't this eventually cost them scholarships?

As soon as Anderson and Obi are gone...Ford is in trouble. This recruiting tactic that he is doing is going to hurt him. Young talent struggles and if he is going to bring in 5 or more players in every year...especially talent that needs time to develop...this is going hurt OSU's program.

Back