How many scholarships does OSU have?

Then that is Duke's choice, but not NCAA-enforced.

That is what everyone should do. I honestly don't care what Ford or OSU does; however, I do care what the University of Oklahoma does. I would not be happy to learn that a kid that had a good attitude, made his grades and honored the rules of the football, basketball (or wahtever) team lost his or her scholarship simply because the coach misjudged their ability. That is simply not the right thing to do. The University of Oklahoma is better than that. Perhaps this doesn't make sense to some of you but to me it is more important than winning or losing.

Last edited:
That is what everyone should do. I honestly don't care what Ford or OSU does; however, I do care what the University of Oklahoma does. I would not be happy to learn that a kid that had a good attitude, made his grades and honored the rules of the football, basketball (or wahtever) team lost his or her scholarship simply because the coach misjudged there ability. That is simply not the right thing to do. The University of Oklahoma is better than that. Perhaps this doesn't make sense to some of you but to me it is more important than winning or losing.

I agree with you, Denver. It does happens at OU from time to time as well. I know Sooner04 has written before about being there immediately after Coach Coale pulled... somebody's scholarship. I can't remember who it was now. But I do think the University of Oklahoma should be above that. I know college sports is a cutthroat industry, but it just seems like a basic level of decency.

I agree with you, Denver. It does happens at OU from time to time as well. I know Sooner04 has written before about being there immediately after Coach Coale pulled... somebody's scholarship. I can't remember who it was now. But I do think the University of Oklahoma should be above that. I know college sports is a cutthroat industry, but it just seems like a basic level of decency.

I hope the kid earned it. It is one thing if you are late to practice (or violate other team rules), have a bad attitude and/or are not making grades but to essentially cut a player based on talent alone is not right in my mind. The time to cut the player was before he or she was given a scholarship.

I expect that lots of kids that transfer sit down with the coach and have a tough and honest discussion about their future with the program. I expect Capel to do that, in fact he owes it to the kids to be honest. If a guy like Neysmith is unlikely to ever play in games (and I am not saying this was the case with Neysmith - I don't know), it is only fair to tell him. The player might prefer to transfer to a mid-major and play or a D-II school and play.

I expect that lots of kids that transfer sit down with the coach and have a tough and honest discussion about their future with the program. I expect Capel to do that, in fact he owes it to the kids to be honest. If a guy like Neysmith is unlikely to ever play in games (and I am not saying this was the case with Neysmith - I don't know), it is only fair to tell him. The player might prefer to transfer to a mid-major and play or a D-II school and play.

If you really think Capel sits a kid like Neysmith down and says you won't play, but if you want to stay for 3 more years and ride that bench, that is fine, you are more than likely mistaken, IMO.

I hope the kid earned it. It is one thing if you are late to practice (or violate other team rules), have a bad attitude and/or are not making grades but to essentially cut a player based on talent alone is not right in my mind. The time to cut the player was before he or she was given a scholarship.

My opinion may be a little different because I have seen it first hand, but I do feel that players need to be held accountable as well for their development...too many are just on a free ride, floating through a program, barely getting by in classes, etc. I also think a player owes it to his coach and program to be honest with himself about his abilities and have realistic expectations when it comes to his skills. OU is above "running off players", however, if the player is not contributing as an individual in the classroom and/or (we know there are exceptions) a high rate for the program, they are offering nothing to the university.

For example, if Kyle Hardrick never develops into a contributor (which I think is the case in the long run based on Capel's recruiting and from what I've seen with Hardrick) and is barely passing classes, then I see no problem for Capel to take his scholly.

Last edited:
As soon as Anderson and Obi are gone...Ford is in trouble. This recruiting tactic that he is doing is going to hurt him. Young talent struggles and if he is going to bring in 5 or more players in every year...especially talent that needs time to develop...this is going hurt OSU's program.

This.

There's a reason why he's trying to get Fontan, because he's pretty good.

I know if I was a college coach I'd go this route. I wouldn't over recruit by 3 every year (And I don't think Ford will either, but who knows) but I sure as hell wouldn't stick with a couple of scrubs and lose my job because I had to run Reger Dowell and Malcoln Kirkland out there because I messed up in evaluating.

He knows what kind of talent these kids are when he recruits them. There is no excuse for this especially at this extent I dont care what kind of aggie swing you put on it! DONT BRING IN GUYS TO JUST FORCE THEM TO LEAVE FOR THE NEXT BIG THING

He knows what kind of talent these kids are when he recruits them. There is no excuse for this especially at this extent I dont care what kind of aggie swing you put on it! DONT BRING IN GUYS TO JUST FORCE THEM TO LEAVE FOR THE NEXT BIG THING

Budke does the same thing with the women's team. Maybe it's an edict from T. Boone. :confused:

I don't really think Ford is just kicking these kids to the curb. All coaches do this from time to time. I guess I don't see a problem with a coach being honest with a kid. Whats wrong with telling him he can stay if he wants but he will sit the bench his entire career. Then making a few calls and setting them up with a new school. I doubt he leaves good kids high and dry.

Other coaches do not do this on this kind of level! Ford is bringing in iffy guys and then dismissing them thats what is wrong! basically he is using more scholarships than the 13 limit with what he is doing. Its a shady strategy and he wont get any respect using it

Other coaches do not do this on this kind of level! Ford is bringing in iffy guys and then dismissing them thats what is wrong! basically he is using more scholarships than the 13 limit with what he is doing. Its a shady strategy and he wont get any respect using it

And this is bad news?

As far as I am concerned, Travis Ford can't have a bad enough reputation in recruiting circles. I hope he screws every kid he recruits, espescially if they are accepting offers under these types of circumstances.

Maybe Ford is smart. Teeng Akol's high school coach, if he or the school exists, is the least likely to produce any more D1 talent or influence any recruiting circles.

Ridiculous.

What "iffy" guys has Travis Ford brought in?

Two things have been quite clear all along:

1. Anderson would be leaving after this year
2. Akol was a "project" at best

With that considered, what are we oversigned by... 1 player?

There is normal attrition in every program as guys get lost in the depth chart and want to go somewhere else and play (Adams) or get mad about how/where the coach wants them to play and goes somehwere else (Thomas).

It only makes sense to do what you can to build depth.

Back