How many wins do you predict from this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexusooner

Reaction score
I’m guessing 18 to 20 wins.

We’re athletic.
We’re experienced.
We have some shooters.
We have some guards.
We have a few bigs.
We have some good wings.
We have a couple tough defenders.
We have some young talent.
We’re deeper than years past.

I’d like to have a shot blocker, another good rebounder, and another knock down shooter but we don’t have them.

We don’t have a lot of continuity because these guys haven’t known each other a long period of time.

We should win 18-20 games with the talent on this roster.

20 in the reg season sounds about right to me. Going to be tough sledding as usual in the big 12 but I think overall it will be easier than last year with the new teams.

Three R’s — rebounding, rim protection, and roll defense. If our bigs can do those things, I think we’ve got 21-23 in us. If any of those three R’s are weak, I’d say 18-19.

Hmm, I like the newly acquired athleticism but man the Big 12 is a slog. I'll say anywhere between 16 and 19 wins.

rct6qIc.jpg

...so hard to predict at this point but for now, I'm going with 19-12 (9-9) before they get to the conference tourney.

Lets go with 21-10 at least until I see them play.

Lets go with 21-10 at least until I see them play.

That's where I'm at. The past few years haven't been anything great, and this season could definitely go in that direction, but I'm more optimistic because of Los and Javian. If these NBA draft/scout people are right, and we have two NBA level guards that will lead to a lot of wins.

There weren't a lot of replies in this thread but we were mostly on the money. Most around the 18-21 mark.

qaqwh.jpg

^ The pic that isn't loaded in my first response from October.

I was hopeful that OU would split vs Texas. Should have known better, lol.

Thought OU would split with the undermanned Pokes. Definitely overestimated OSU's roster.

Re: 23-24 Schedule Thread Full Non-Conference + a Field House Game

I love the optimism.

It looks like we are guaranteed 7 wins.

So, fluff schedule, we go (7-0)

I had us going 3-7 in the H/A conf series
I had us going 3-1 in the home only conf games
I had us going 2-2 in the away only conf games

(8-10) in conference, which puts us at (15-10)

That leaves 5 games of:
(Nov 23-24 Rady Children's Invitational)
(Game 1) Iowa – 41
*USC - 45
*Seton Hall - 58

(Dec 5) Providence - 40
(Dec 9) Arkansas – 22
(Dec 20) UNC – 43

Best case, 4-1. Worst case, 1-4. I see it being 3-2, conservatively.

18-12 is my season prediction. I hope we outperform though. Much better than 15-17.
Outperformed my expecations...so that is good.

Yep, we just got out over our skis with expectations because they started so well. Life of a fan lol.

Impressive! Seems this board had a good grasp on how well this team would perform this year. This runs contrary to the narrative some on here want to spew, so I have a feeling they won't be commenting in this thread.

Impressive! Seems this board had a good grasp on how well this team would perform this year. This runs contrary to the narrative some on here want to spew, so I have a feeling they won't be commenting in this thread.
Yep, you guys are regular savants. I’ll await your invitation so we can all watch Los and JM get drafted together.

Yep, you guys are regular savants. I’ll await your invitation so we can all watch Los and JM get drafted together.

This is rich coming from the guy who thought the season wasn't worth playing if we didn't land Hugley. Do you still think Soares and Moore don't belong on scholarship?

I still stand by my prediction that Los will he a second round pick eventually.

This is rich coming from the guy who thought the season wasn't worth playing if we didn't land Hugley. Do you still think Soares and Moore don't belong on scholarship?

I still stand by my prediction that Los will he a second round pick eventually.
The difference is, I am the first to admit I was wrong on Moore and Soares, and I do it before anyone points it out. By contrast, those who hyped up JM for two months now are largely backtracking and pretending like not many people were talking him up as a draft pick.

As for Los, I could see him rebuilding his career after he transfers to a new program.

My point in bumping this thread wasn't to make myself, or others, look smart. I'm the first to tell people I'm a dumbass, lol. Relatively speaking.

The point:

Why are we so disgruntled this season?

Coming off last season, combined with the roster, and where it stood in the preseason, the general consensus was pretty much what happened. 20 ish wins, bottom half of the Big 12, fighting for an NCAA berth.

Has it been a smooth ride this year? No. Could things have been a little better? Sure, I wish OU squeezed out a couple more wins.

If Moser stays, a lot depends on the roster of course (increased NIL, please), my expectations this early out ('24-25)....would be 23-26 wins.

I think I can answer this one.

The problem with this season was the apparent inability to score offensively, the lackluster development (regression) of the crown jewel on our team, multiple blow out losses to our biggest rival, no consistency from game to game or even half to half, and I think some weariness about what the team is going to look like going forward.

Granted, that is a glass half empty viewpoint as there are also positive counterpoints, but some of those things listed above are big problems. Uzan looks lost, we don’t have an offensive identity, and Porter doesn’t seem to be able to build offensive systems around his players’ strengths.

I say all of that as someone that would label myself as a Porter supporter thus far. I think he’s a good coach and I generally like him and the energy he tries to bring every day (I know it rubs some people the wrong way). But those are all issues that don’t seem to have clear cut solutions moving forward if Moser stays.

Add in the fact that there’s talk of another roster turnover and the revolving door of assistant coaches we’ve had the past three years and it doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence that next years team is going to be competitive in the slightest.

I think what makes me the most irritated about this whole situation is that OU basketball, as a whole, just feels very “meh”. What really hammers that home is I think I’d feel the same way about the program if Moser is here next year OR if he wasn’t. The program is just existing right now and I think a lot of people wish to see it strive to thrive. Sorry for being so wordy.

So I predicted between 16-19 wins. I was close. So did the team exceed expectations? Yes. But the team is also way more talented than I thought they’d be. I’ve never seen an OU coach do so little with so much. But that’s my opinion. I think this OU team is the most talented in years and Moser has squandered it.

My point in bumping this thread wasn't to make myself, or others, look smart. I'm the first to tell people I'm a dumbass, lol. Relatively speaking.

The point:

Coming off last season, combined with the roster, and where it stood in the preseason, the general consensus was pretty much what happened. 20 ish wins, bottom half of the Big 12, fighting for an NCAA berth.

Has it been a smooth ride this year? No. Could things have been a little better? Sure, I wish OU squeezed out a couple more wins.

If Moser stays, a lot depends on the roster of course (increased NIL, please), my expectations this early out ('24-25)....would be 23-26 wins.
If he returns, I expect fewer wins next season that this season. Unless we bow out of the Bahamas tournament, we will have a much harder noncon. I have no idea how the rest of the noncon will look now that we won’t have any SEC teams on the slate. Knowing Moser, I doubt he would schedule any Big 12 teams. But I just can’t imagine the schedule being as easy as this year. Our best player graduates and I expect multiple transfers, and the guys who stay haven’t shown a history of improvement under Moser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back