How many wins do you predict from this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what makes me the most irritated about this whole situation is that OU basketball, as a whole, just feels very “meh”. What really hammers that home is I think I’d feel the same way about the program if Moser is here next year OR if he wasn’t. The program is just existing right now and I think a lot of people wish to see it strive to thrive. Sorry for being so wordy.
I agree with this. And Moser was not brought in to keep the program at “meh.” The program was supposed to thrive under him. He was a great hire at the time and expected to do great things. He has not done great things.

My point in bumping this thread wasn't to make myself, or others, look smart. I'm the first to tell people I'm a dumbass, lol. Relatively speaking.

The point:

Why are we so disgruntled this season?

Coming off last season, combined with the roster, and where it stood in the preseason, the general consensus was pretty much what happened. 20 ish wins, bottom half of the Big 12, fighting for an NCAA berth.

Has it been a smooth ride this year? No. Could things have been a little better? Sure, I wish OU squeezed out a couple more wins.

If Moser stays, a lot depends on the roster of course (increased NIL, please), my expectations this early out ('24-25)....would be 23-26 wins.
I wouldn't say I'm disgruntled, but I am fairly disappointed after a good non-con start....I thought this team may be turning the corner in December. While improved, this team is still at best a middling team in a really good conference. I was fooled by the results in November/December.

By year 3, I also expected to see more of an improvement....not only in W/Ls, but also in the quality of play. We have slightly upgraded our talent, but our improvement this year can be attributed to, at least in part, what turned out to be a really weak non-con SOS. I'm happy that we are in position to be playing in the Big Tournament.....but I just don't think simply making the tournament as a "slightly above bubble team" should ever be our standard. And some of the comments on this board come across to me as almost giddy while we make the tournament as a 9/10 seed....sorry I have higher expectations. I see what other coaches in this league have done with similar circumstances and I don't see how you can call Moser's tenure anything close to a success. I've also stated that I don't think Moser is a good, long-term fit....but he has the opportunity to change my mind. He has had success in the tournament, so I will sit back and see what happens.

So I predicted between 16-19 wins. I was close. So did the team exceed expectations? Yes. But the team is also way more talented than I thought they’d be. I’ve never seen an OU coach do so little with so much. But that’s my opinion. I think this OU team is the most talented in years and Moser has squandered it.
Meh. I don’t think so

If he returns, I expect fewer wins next season that this season. Unless we bow out of the Bahamas tournament, we will have a much harder noncon. I have no idea how the rest of the noncon will look now that we won’t have any SEC teams on the slate. Knowing Moser, I doubt he would schedule any Big 12 teams. But I just can’t imagine the schedule being as easy as this year. Our best player graduates and I expect multiple transfers, and the guys who stay haven’t shown a history of improvement under Moser.
I’m shocked you’d feel that way.

I don't do preseason predictions, but here is my answer:

Because I don't think we got everything out of this roster that we could have, AND I didn't see enough player development that my expectations for next year will be that we're an improved team.

Pretty much the same reasons I'd like to move on from Moser in general.

Don't you lump me in with them!

Honestly, we were picked 12th to start the year. I wanted top-half, expected above 12. I knew our schedule was brutal, was happy we ran through the OOC almost undefeated. My hope was a tournament bid. If no tourney, I was/am ready to help usher off Moser myself.

Things I liked:
-Moore/Soares development. Enough can't be said about these guys starting the year and how they are finishing it.
-Playing tough with a starting G5 center. Godwin is not a starting P5, I refuse to believe it, but man has he had some solid games and been a solid piece in certain areas.
-Recruiting. Dayton and Atak should be good pieces moving forward.
-Getting to the tournament. *Selection Sunday pending*
-Luke getting thrown in the fire. I get he is not a starter or a proper back-up, but he needed to get some play and he has shown some good flashes. Just needs post-move development and rebounding class.
-We overall improved in the portal. That is a testament to Porter.
-Higher tempo, more scoring. Games scoring over 80: 2023-3 2024-13

Things I didn't like:
-Oweh, Los, Javian regresssion. Oweh went from slasher/finisher to dud-bucket really quickly. Los is betting on games. Javian is tired from usage and Big12 play got to him for sure. (However, he has had his moments)
-Hugley IV on the roster. Just not the right fit. We want up tempo? This is not the guy. Weird get by Moser. He is a solid back to the basket/inside-outside big.
-Cooper, who? Why haven't we seen more of him. My only answer is he is a defensive liability. We have seen athletes see the floor before, but Cooper just...hasn't.
-0-fer against Texas. They are a bad match-up for us, but to not have a win since Moser has been here...not even steal one away.
-TURNOVERS, sloppy play which has been cleaned up a bit recently. Just boneheaded player mistakes.
-Offensive lulls (no backside movement). I cannot for the life of me understand a motion offense with no backside motion. Stagnant guys not cutting, screening, or making back-cuts against some aggressive defensive fronts we have seen. It hurts my soul watching that over and over.

I am not a disgrunter, but I think we have a new era with the portal and a lot of people have expectations of beating Top-25 teams consistently. I do not. I think we are a top-40/top-35 team with all of our facilities, personnel, and roster. I want us to compete in games, get the occasional big win/upset, and make the tournament. The expectation that we are close to top half of the top half may be a reason why people get up in arms over a team that we all want to be top-25 and competing. A lot of us were projecting 9-9/8-10 in conference. We did that, but are so unhappy.

I just don't think we are there yet. Doesn't mean I don't want us to be, but some back office stuff needs to change and hopefully the SEC move with an influx of cash will help that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back