How much of your expectations this year....

thebigabd

Reaction score
How much of your expectations this year were based on SOME KIND of improvement by Orlando, Wright, and Willis? I expected those guys to be better, and that would give OU some experience to rely on.

They have not improved at all. Willis and Orlando dont even get off the bench, and Wright is the same player he always is. No skill, and not good enough as a bruiser to contribute in that way either.

Knowing what I know now, I would not predict a top 5 finish for OU in the Big 12.

Would you?

How much of your expectations this year were based on SOME KIND of improvement by Orlando, Wright, and Willis? I expected those guys to be better, and that would give OU some experience to rely on.

They have not improved at all. Willis and Orlando dont even get off the bench, and Wright is the same player he always is. No skill, and not good enough as a bruiser to contribute in that way either.

Knowing what I know now, I would not predict a top 5 finish for OU in the Big 12.

Would you?

I'll give Wright a pass, I think he played better this past game...the jury is still out on him.

Not concerned about Willis mainly because Pledger has stepped in and produced from the get-go. Unless he starts to play more, this will probably be the last year he's at OU (it appears that he is being recruited over as well).

Allen is the big disappointment for me right now. We heard this summer how he was in shape, getting better, etc but that is proving to be not true (so far).

With all that said, it's the second game, lots of basketball left and time for these guys to contribute. I still say OU finishes anywhere between 4th-8th in the Big XII...which is loaded this year.

I still say OU finishes anywhere between 4th-8th in the Big XII

Big difference between 4th and 8th. That is like saying "I still think OU is either a lock for the NCAA Tournament and going to be really good, or they will be worse than average and go to the NIT"...

Big difference between 4th and 8th. That is like saying "I still think OU is either a lock for the NCAA Tournament and going to be really good, or they will be worse than average and go to the NIT"...

Odds are in my favor...the conference will get at least 7 this year. You want me to pick a single number? Well it's 10:50 CST so I'll just say we finish 5th.

Except most EVERY analyst believes the Big XII will get 7-8 teams in the tourney this year.

Yes, I'm VERY disappointed in the lack of advancement by Wright/Allen. Gotta think Capel should have went after another big last year, maybe a JUCO, if he knew it was going to come to this. As it stands, we're going to get murdered inside all year. With our youth, lack of talent (Wright/Allen), and the fact that both Tiny and Fitz were suppose to have some learning to do offensively (Tiny especially, not just hanging outside the 3 line).

I'm not sure where we'll finish (probably outside the top 3), but I don't think the Big 12 gets 8 teams in, and probably not 7. Alot of that will depend on OOC games.

About 1% to be completely honest, well maybe a bit more. But I've never had any faith at all in Orlando Allen contributing so I didn't put any stock in that.

As for Ryan Wright, I still think he will have some decent games and give us solid minutes but he is just more limited offensively than he should be considering he has received a scholarship to play at both UCLA and OU and has an NBA PF body.

Also, I have never been a big fan of Willis either. I was more impressed with 2 minutes of watching Steven Pledger play on Saturday than I was in all the action I saw of Ray last year.

OU will finish 3rd in the Big 12, it's way too early in the year to be judging this team on anything but potential.

Gotta think Capel should have went after another big last year, maybe a JUCO, if he knew it was going to come to this.

Capel should have gone after Maurice Mcneil (Houston) and Jarrid Famous (South Florida)... Both were rumored to be targets, but I dont think Capel went after them too hard.

Instead we got Kyle Hardick.

OU will finish 3rd in the Big 12, it's way too early in the year to be judging this team on anything but potential.

THIRD! My goodness.....

How much of your expectations this year were based on SOME KIND of improvement by Orlando, Wright, and Willis?

None really... any improvement would have been a bonus. I am just thrilled with how good Pledger and Fitz are. I expected/hoped TMG and Tiny to contribute in big ways.

This may be a semi down year unless WWiii explodes... however, I am still expecting a third place finish even after that performance last night.

Would you?

you are basing this off of two games?

If this was Colorado, Nebraska, etc we're talking about after two games you would be spinning this in a positive light.

We must look at this team from a big picture point of view. Game by game analysis as it pertains to the entire season is silly with a young team. Young teams will throw in a few clunkers, as well as some outstanding performances. If we are still having these issues in the middle of conference play, then it is time to panic.

you are basing this off of two games?

Orlando, Ray, and Wright combined for 38 minutes in the opener. They scored 9 points.

In the second game (a much closer game) they combined for 22 minutes, with Ray and Orlando not showing up in the box score. They combined to score 6 points.

If Ray and Orlando cant get off the bench in November, how are they going to in January and February?

Orlando, Ray, and Wright combined for 38 minutes in the opener. They scored 9 points.

In the second game (a much closer game) they combined for 22 minutes, with Ray and Orlando not showing up in the box score. They combined to score 6 points.

If Ray and Orlando cant get off the bench in November, how are they going to in January and February?

Orlando and Ryan have a chance to make an impact. Whether or not they can remains to be seen.

What minutes would you like Ray to get? Everyone is quick to take them from Cade, but without his performance in the first half I'm not sure we win.

so the answer to my question is yes. got it

I did not expect any of those players to improve much nor did i expect them to contribute a lot

I did not expect any of those players to improve much nor did i expect them to contribute a lot

this.

Except Ryan Wright. I hoped he would be a little more comfortable offensively. He did have two big dunks last night, so thats a little progress but so far I've not seen much difference offensively.

But I expected very little from Orlando/Ray Willis this year.

We must look at this team from a big picture point of view. Game by game analysis as it pertains to the entire season is silly with a young team. Young teams will throw in a few clunkers, as well as some outstanding performances. If we are still having these issues in the middle of conference play, then it is time to panic.

great post. Capel is learing about this team every game just like we are.

Back