How to fix this team

Agree on Hardrick and Willis, but Allen isn't going anywhere for 1 big reason. He will be a senior next year. Kinda pointless to transfer imo. He would def have to move down in competition so he could play next year but is that really worth it to play one season? I dont hink he will do it.

he could/should transfer to d-2 he's not good

Couldn't disagree with you more.

The things WW has done off the court, you know about. How can his teammates respect him? How can they LIKE him? How can you have a good team when nobody likes or respects your best player? He and TMG can't play together. They both need the ball in their hands to be "good". Willie's attitude was a major contributor to that very problem earlier this year. Warren is probably the worst defender of all the guards that start. Where would Willie's head be if he did come back?

Maybe some of the above works itself out, but I certainly doubt it all does. Like I said last week, IMO, he and Tiny both need to move on. That would be the best thing that could happen next year, ASSUMING we can land another impact recruit or two. Capel should be recruiting the JUCO's super hard right now. Sign the first kids that will commit. We can't afford to miss out.

Exactly.. If Blake was still here honestly I think these freshmen are commanded to be more disciplined and they would so it or Blake would whip them

Let's see, Willie doesn't play and Tiny doesn't play and we lose by what 30? Seems like the conclusion you should draw from that effort is that we are really, really bad without those two players. Maybe WW is making a really bad team half way competitive.

Commanded? Commanded!! Get a grip. Nobody "commands" unless he or she is in the armed services.

I agree but it depends on if he comes back. Unlike many on this board I don't think he is the sole reason why this team is in shambles. There are numerous issues that have happened and blaming him is the easiest thing to do it seems.

I agree. He has his issues, but its not his fault that Fitz and Pledger made a really stupid decision. Its not his fault that Tiny can't adjust. Part of this season's free fall is WW's fault, mainly chemistry, but going as far as calling him a cancer is ridiculous.

I like the idea of building around TMG and Cade. They seem to always play hard, esp. Cade.

Orlando Allen is not transferring nor will he be encouraged to transfer. I wish some of you would lay off the kid. He has had some major personal issues this year that most would have trouble with, yet he is never late or misses a practice, team meeting, game, and is one of the most vocal supporters on the bench.

He and TMG can't play together. They both need the ball in their hands to be "good".

I agree with everything you said but this. This is ridiculous. What both need is to be TAUGHT how to play without the ball. They both need to be TAUGHT how to improve their games. That's why they have 4+ coaches on staff. When TMG and WW get to the NBA they aren't going to have the ball in their hand all the time. These guys need to be developed as players and their games grown.

Let's see, Willie doesn't play and Tiny doesn't play and we lose by what 30? Seems like the conclusion you should draw from that effort is that we are really, really bad without those two players. Maybe WW is making a really bad team half way competitive.

Those two combined for 66 minutes against Baylor and we lost by 30.
Those two played limited minutes in a limited role against UT, and we won.
Those two played a bunch againtst TT, and we lost.

I don't think your point really holds water.

I agree with everything you said but this. This is ridiculous. What both need is to be TAUGHT how to play without the ball. They both need to be TAUGHT how to improve their games. That's why they have 4+ coaches on staff. When TMG and WW get to the NBA they aren't going to have the ball in their hand all the time. These guys need to be developed as players and their games grown.

I'm not convinced you can take a kid like WW, at this point in his career, and "teach" him how to do that in a season or two.

Kid has likely been playing this way his entire life. And looking back to the few times I watched him on tv in HS, he played the same way. He is pretty much only REALLY good at one thing.....and that is going one-on-one and getting to the hoop. Much better suited for the NBA game IMO.

Has anyone seen Hardrick enough this season to draw a conclusion as to his transferring?

This team is different than teams in the past that were more successful because there are no senior leaders amongst the on-court personalities. Crock is a quality player but is not that person, Wright even less so.

One of the hardest things for a coach to juggle in this day and age is the athletes leaving school early part. In the past, it was relatively easy to stagger classes when recruiting so that every couple of years you had a new leader-type kid that could come in and backfill for a graduating senior at a predicted time.

Those days are gone. Capel will have to learn to manage that better in the future or fall prey to the ups and downs those early exits and their accompanying uncertainties present. There are coaches who seem to be able to better manage that, i.e. Self, Izzo, etc. So, I know it's a skill that can be learned and acquired - just like predicting the stock market ;)

We've got talent. Now, we need a leader(s) to emerge. Then, we need to be grooming (or recruiting) his/their replacement(s)...

Orlando Allen is not transferring nor will he be encouraged to transfer. I wish some of you would lay off the kid. He has had some major personal issues this year that most would have trouble with, yet he is never late or misses a practice, team meeting, game, and is one of the most vocal supporters on the bench.

Agreed get off Big O's back you guys don't know what is going on with him. I hope he comes back for his sr year.

Capel stop recruitng guards, concentrate on more post depth. Stop playing 4 guards offense, getting out rebound, and complain about it.

Commanded? Commanded!! Get a grip. Nobody "commands" unless he or she is in the armed services.

What are you talking about? When I played ball our star senior player would get on you and demand that you play hard and get better and not mess up.. That is what I'm talking about sorry I used the word command hmm.. How about demand is that better?

I agree. He has his issues, but its not his fault that Fitz and Pledger made a really stupid decision. Its not his fault that Tiny can't adjust. Part of this season's free fall is WW's fault, mainly chemistry, but going as far as calling him a cancer is ridiculous.

I like the idea of building around TMG and Cade. They seem to always play hard, esp. Cade.

I agree that is not Capel's fault that Pledger and Fitzgerald did something stupid. However, I think the coach is directly responsible for the way his players play and the attitude they demonstrate on the court. I also think it is the coaches job to develop chemistry.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

The things WW has done off the court, you know about. How can his teammates respect him? How can they LIKE him? How can you have a good team when nobody likes or respects your best player? He and TMG can't play together. They both need the ball in their hands to be "good". Willie's attitude was a major contributor to that very problem earlier this year. Warren is probably the worst defender of all the guards that start. Where would Willie's head be if he did come back?

Maybe some of the above works itself out, but I certainly doubt it all does. Like I said last week, IMO, he and Tiny both need to move on. That would be the best thing that could happen next year, ASSUMING we can land another impact recruit or two. Capel should be recruiting the JUCO's super hard right now. Sign the first kids that will commit. We can't afford to miss out.

I agree with most of this, I am not as down on Gallon as you are, but I will concede that I probably should be. This season is by far the worst I have seen in my lifetime. There are issues at every level of this team:

1. Depth
2. Leadership
3. Chemistry
4. Effort
5. Attitude
6. Confidence
7. Basketball IQ

With that said I am not with the Capel on the hot seat crowd, but after looking at that list maybe I should be; I guess I feel Sampson completely screwed us when he left and Capel is still trying to put everything back together.

What are you talking about? When I played ball our star senior player would get on you and demand that you play hard and get better and not mess up.. That is what I'm talking about sorry I used the word command hmm.. How about demand is that better?

Much better. Someone else said command as well. Might have worked in the fifties but today it is more like request.

Back