My take on Capel, the team and the fix.

the plan right now is to play clark and osby together on the wings ...

our starters IMHO are osby clark goff fitz and a PG ...

that is a big long and athletic lineup

You got it. I sure hope Newell can improve his consistency learn to play PG over the next 12 month. He has all the physical skills.

One of my biggest questions is can Clark play the 2? We need someone in that spot with the ball handling and slashing skills to get into the lane. If he can, that would be great, because I don't see any 2's on our roster that will be here next year that possess those skills. If Clark can't play the 2 then we need to be going all out right now to try to find someone that can come in and do so in 2011.

the plan right now is to play clark and osby together on the wings ...

our starters IMHO are osby clark goff fitz and a PG ...

that is a big long and athletic lineup

You need a great ball handler if you are going to play Clark and Osby on the wings. You also need a true post that can hit the three point shot and or drive because you want to be able to post those big athletic wings. In order to do that, you need to be able to force the PF or Center to defend the perimeter. If they don't have to respect the drive or 3 point shot, they can hedge off the Center/PF that is outside and double the wing that has a physical size advantage on his defender.

I have said for years and years and years that it's much better to get 3 top 150's or so than 1 top 50 and 2 who won't ever sniff the court....ESPECIALLY given the fact that the top-50 might leave after 1.
Precisely. Which is why I'm so disheartened that T. J. Taylor is already gone.

You need a great ball handler if you are going to play Clark and Osby on the wings. You also need a true post that can hit the three point shot and or drive because you want to be able to post those big athletic wings. In order to do that, you need to be able to force the PF or Center to defend the perimeter. If they don't have to respect the drive or 3 point shot, they can hedge off the Center/PF that is outside and double the wing that has a physical size advantage on his defender.

also need a rebounder.

You got it. I sure hope Newell can improve his consistency learn to play PG over the next 12 month. He has all the physical skills.

So if Newell fails to "improve his consistency and learn to play PG over the next year" will it be Newell's fault or Capels?

Player development is a big part of coaching.

So if Newell fails to "improve his consistency and learn to play PG over the next year" will it be Newell's fault or Capels?

Player development is a big part of coaching.

Why does it have to be somebody's fault? Is it requires to play the blame game for everything? The blame game is a waste of time. You look to the future with a vision and put together a roadmap to get there. When some of the things in the roadmap don't go according to plan you add more pieces or adjust the roadmap.

This is how things are built. Nothing is built by people who sit around playing the blame game or crying about the current situation. You can tell a lot about people by their attitude. The complainers get left behind in life, which makes them complain more.

I truly think the only way Capel wins is if he gets great talent. He can't win with anyone except that
Even Doc Sadler can't win without talent and many look at him as a good X's and O's coach.

I do recognize that Capel has created a mess with this team and his "system" or lack of it isn't helping matter but I question if even John Wooden in his prime could get this team to 20 wins.

Even Doc Sadler can't win without talent and many look at him as a good X's and O's coach.

I do recognize that Capel has created a mess with this team and his "system" or lack of it isn't helping matter but I question if even John Wooden in his prime could get this team to 20 wins.

Kelvin took an OU team with zero NBA talent to a Final Four and an Elite Eight so yeah, I think it's possible.

... but I question if even John Wooden in his prime could get this team to 20 wins.

John Wooden in his prime wouldn't have to. UCLA would cheat their way to better recruits and everyone would look the other way.

Kelvin took an OU team with zero NBA talent to a Final Four and an Elite Eight so yeah, I think it's possible.
That team still had a ton of Big 12 talent even if they didn't have any NBA talent.

Selvy, Ace, Brown, Ebi, Hollis and Quannas were all very talented players. I'm not talking about requiring NBA talent to win (even though I'm afraid Capel could be like) I'm just talking about having enough talent to be on a level playing surface with the rest of the conference.

We don't have that right now due to Capel's mistakes on managing and recruiting players so now we're a lot like Nebraska. Doc Sadler is considered by some on here as a very good X's and O's coach yet he has had little to no success at Nebraska despite that. Its because he doesn't even have enough Big 12 talent there.

I bet John's teams could set screens and play defense.

Back