Howard to Michigan

Just saw that. I predict they take a major step back. I don't think he is ready for "that" particular job.

He has several years of coaching experience in the NBA. Well respected as a person. Fan base loves him. I expect him to be an elite recruiter. It's a risky move, but not a bad hire, especially given the timing of Beilein's departure.

He has several years of coaching experience in the NBA. Well respected as a person. Fan base loves him. I expect him to be an elite recruiter. It's a risky move, but not a bad hire, especially given the timing of Beilein's departure.

He has never recruited a soul in his life. Not all are good at it, so it will be interesting to see how he handles pandering.

He has never recruited a soul in his life. Not all are good at it, so it will be interesting to see how he handles pandering.

Reputation and name recognition mean more than experience in recruiting.

Howard was a member of the “Fab Five.” Every recruit interested in Michigan will know all about him. Two former teammates, Rose and Webber, now ESPN reporters, will promote Howard every chance they get. Rose was on ESPN last week urging UM to hire his old teammate and friend. Howard is also a young, charming and enthusiastic guy who dresses the part. Kids and their parents will like that.

My prediction: In time, Jawuan Howard will be a better recruiter than John Beilien.

If he fails, it certainly won't be because of recruiting struggles. And as another poster mentioned, the guy had been a respected NBA assistant for a while and IIRC has interviewed for some head jobs. Any first time head coach comes with some unknowns, but he seems better positioned than most.

He's young, black, and famous. With money hanging out the anus. He'll be fine.

Penny hardaway seems to really be struggling recruiting

He was an aau coach making inroads with these guys prior to going to college but don't let that get in the way of your attempt at this homerun point your trying to drive

I think he’ll do ok. Good enough to not get fired but won’t do as well as Belein imo.

A lot of Penny's recruiting is from his AAU connections. We'll see what happens once he's been away from that for a year or two, and when (if) his teams don't have a lot of success.

As for Howard, he doesn't have those AAU connections. Sorry, but being a great bball player 2-3 decades ago isn't going to do much in terms of recruiting. And he's never been a HC, making HC decisions. I believe Penny had at least done that at the AAU level, but I don't think he's going to have a bunch of success either.

if i were a UM fan i'd feel that "we" just took a pretty big step down from Beilein.....though, you never know and i'm heavily biased against nostalgia hires or "back to the glorious past with an alum".

howard has some positives but while beilein was making izzo work for it in that rivalry (though MSU won all 3 last year, 3 of 6 or 7 UM losses all season, ouch!)....hard to see that going forward imho.

if i were a UM fan i'd feel that "we" just took a pretty big step down from Beilein.....though, you never know and i'm heavily biased against nostalgia hires or "back to the glorious past with an alum".

howard has some positives but while beilein was making izzo work for it in that rivalry (though MSU won all 3 last year, 3 of 6 or 7 UM losses all season, ouch!)....hard to see that going forward imho.

Of course it's a step down. They just lost a guy who is one of the five or ten best in the country. Unless you can convince another guy of that caliber to come to Michigan, you're going to at least temporarily take a step back from a coaching standpoint.

He was an aau coach making inroads with these guys prior to going to college but don't let that get in the way of your attempt at this homerun point your trying to drive

he was a high school ast coach then a high school Head coach

and this could work very well for mich if he follows Penny's example and puts together a great coaching staff

howard has worked for one of the best coaches in the NBA for 6 years ..

he is more than qualified

He’s the one coach Lebrun didn’t get fired

And his record without Lebron is pretty middle of the road.

I'll admit that it is REALLY difficult to evaluate how good a coach is, when the talent differs so much from roster to roster. Obviously having a super star (or multiple) makes winning that much easier.

And his record without Lebron is pretty middle of the road.

I'll admit that it is REALLY difficult to evaluate how good a coach is, when the talent differs so much from roster to roster. Obviously having a super star (or multiple) makes winning that much easier.

Name 10 better NBA coaches.

Back