Howard to Michigan

And another thing… Howard’s excuse about being touched just doesn’t hold water. He was separated by his own players and then came back to take a swipe at the other coach. It’s reprehensible. He should immediately be fired.

yep...i understand the initial reaction. the wisconisin coach grabbed his arm. so i understand the initial heated exchange. But he had time to cool off and still decided to slap a guy. And the guy he slapped, to me, appeared to be trying to just separate the players. SO don't tell me he slapped him because he was putting hands on his players.

What happened during the game to get the coaches so worked up?

Howard wasn’t right in hitting the assistant, but personally if that coach grabbed me by my arms as I was walking through, I would have grabbed him by both of his and tossed him over the scorer’s table.

lol wow dude

We will have to agree to disagree. However, if we ever disagree face to face, let me grab you by the arm and tell you your perspective is wrong. While I’m grabbing you by the arm I expect for you to “comply” and be docile and not be defensive during our exchange.

Howard wasn’t right in hitting the assistant, but personally if that coach grabbed me by my arms as I was walking through, I would have grabbed him by both of his and tossed him over the scorer’s table. As far as the timeout, I wouldn’t have been as mad as Howard, but I don’t know the context.

If you did this at your job, any job, you would be fired immediately. Justifiably so. You can act like a punk all you like, and I’ll bet you cry when you get fired, like a punk.

If you did this at your job, any job, you would be fired immediately. Justifiably so. You can act like a punk all you like, and I’ll bet you cry when you get fired, like a punk.

I probably will, but the person that grabbed me would too. Are people allowed to grab people at your job?

The Big Ten Conference and the AD’s of both schools will have to decide on the degree of culpability for everyone involved in this incident. There is plenty of evidence of what took place with the video and a multitude of witnesses.

ESPN reporter, Jay Williams, has already weighed in with his opinion this morning The video is available here if you care to watch it: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/

He thinks Gard should be suspended for one game and Howard should be suspended for the remainder of the season. I’m sure there will be others in time. I also believe the AD’s will respond to their demands, take the appropriate action and in doing so settle the argument on this thread.

Firing him would be an overreaction imo. He'll be suspended, likely go through some anger management (since it's not his first time to have a dust up with the opposing coach), and his staff will be on alert moving forward for post game handshakes. He also has the #7 recruiting class in the country for 2022, he's not going anywhere.

this is not Howard's first incident he is a hot head and once again acted like a clown .

Suspend him for the rest of the season, if they fire him it'll just be an excuse to get rid of him with how the season is going.

Gard definitely shouldn't have grabbed him & probably should be suspended, if Howard wanted to mouth off and be a baby over Gard's timeout then just let him act like an idiot.

Both were in the wrong, but Howard's swipe at the assistant obviously escalated things to the ugly scene it became.

Also suspend the Wisconsin assistant for the rest of the season for doing the WWE "suck it" gesture.

Suspend him for the rest of the season, if they fire him it'll just be an excuse to get rid of him with how the season is going.

Gard definitely shouldn't have grabbed him & probably should be suspended, if Howard wanted to mouth off and be a baby over Gard's timeout then just let him act like an idiot.

Both were in the wrong, but Howard's swipe at the assistant obviously escalated things to the ugly scene it became.

Also suspend the Wisconsin assistant for the rest of the season for doing the WWE "suck it" gesture.

The Suck it guy was just funny! Lol. Make him do suicides aka Billy Gillespie style. By the way this is very similar to Paul Mills confronting a player after the ORU loss last week which led to a physical Altercation. Not sure if Mills was suspended or not. He didn’t hit anyone like Juwan Howard…. Probably because he wasn’t strong enough to get through the guy in front of him….

The Suck it guy was just funny! Lol. Make him do suicides aka Billy Gillespie style. By the way this is very similar to Paul Mills confronting a player after the ORU loss last week which led to a physical Altercation. Not sure if Mills was suspended or not. He didn’t hit anyone like Juwan Howard…. Probably because he wasn’t strong enough to get through the guy in front of him….

Yeah I just saw the Mills thing today. Funny how both situations started with the losing team pressing even though they are down big, and have issues with the other team coaching/playing against it.

I'm not excusing Howard's behavior......but the Wisconsin coach put his hands on Howard. I don't think anything would have happened if he had just walked through the handshake line.

JMO!

I have a hard time believing this is a real opinion.
- Howard screams, "I'll remember this sh!!" and tries to walk past the coach
- Wisconsin Coach - puts his hand out to try and have a conversation
-Howard - "dont put your hands on me", while grabbing the coaches jacket and pushing him, then points in his face
- Both are screaming
-Howards acts like a bi%$$ and slaps the wrong coach

FIRE THAT MAN!!! Is this really the kind of role model 18-23 year olds should have?

Gard didnt grab him. Just put his hand out. Even if Gard did touch him, it was literally a hand placed on Howards stomach. Sure suspend him for 1 game for not walking away. But, Howard needs to be gone

Gard didnt grab him. Just put his hand out. Even if Gard did touch him, it was literally a hand placed on Howards stomach. Sure suspend him for 1 game for not walking away. But, Howard needs to be gone

Yeah what Gard did wasn’t a huge thing, but he shouldn’t have done it. 1 game is all I’d suggest for Gard. Yeah I’d fire Howard, suspend for the rest of the season should be the minimal punishment.

I’ve always hated handshake lines. Do it before the game for sportsmanship and after the game do it like the NFL where guys can do as they please.

I’ve always hated handshake lines. Do it before the game for sportsmanship and after the game do it like the NFL where guys can do as they please.

Totally disagree.... Shaking hands with your opponent after the game is a great sportsmanship lesson. Being able to shake hands with someone who just beat you is part of personal development and competition.

Totally disagree.... Shaking hands with your opponent after the game is a great sportsmanship lesson. Being able to shake hands with someone who just beat you is part of personal development and competition.

Agreed

If generations past can do it without major incident, no reason this age of kids shouldn't be able to. They seem more buddy buddy already anyways

Agreed

If generations past can do it without major incident, no reason this age of kids shouldn't be able to. They seem more buddy buddy already anyways

In this scenario it appears the “adults” from generations past couldn’t handle the hand shake without major incident. I have little doubt the kids could have handled it without major incident.

Agreed

To me, it’s a silly thing to require beyond high school. I remember about 15 years ago, the Missouri Valley Conference started requiring pregame and postgame handshake lines in baseball. One Wichita State player, who was a great dude but very hard-nose competitor, would skip the pregame deal and just go sit in the dugout. I respected that … at the college level and above, it should be completely voluntary. If guys want to informally acknowledge each other like pro athletes do, that’s perfectly fine. But the forced lines where people walk through like robots and say “good game” should be reserved for high school and youth.

All this said, Howard was absolutely in the wrong. If you want to continue pressing, that’s fine. But don’t whine and act like a baby if the other coach then decides to continue coaching his team till the buzzer. The handshake line was going just fine till her tried to blow by Gard without shaking hands.

To me, it’s a silly thing to require beyond high school. I remember about 15 years ago, the Missouri Valley Conference started requiring pregame and postgame handshake lines in baseball. One Wichita State player, who was a great dude but very hard-nose competitor, would skip the pregame deal and just go sit in the dugout. I respected that … at the college level and above, it should be completely voluntary. If guys want to informally acknowledge each other like pro athletes do, that’s perfectly fine. But the forced lines where people walk through like robots and say “good game” should be reserved for high school and youth.

All this said, Howard was absolutely in the wrong. If you want to continue pressing, that’s fine. But don’t whine and act like a baby if the other coach then decides to continue coaching his team till the buzzer. The handshake line was going just fine till her tried to blow by Gard without shaking hands.

I'm fine with making it voluntary but I do think it is a good virtuous practice

Back