I smell more recruiting negligence......

thebigabd

Reaction score
OU is dead last in the league in:
  • Team rebounds
  • Offensive rebounds
  • Defensive rebounds
  • Blocked shots
  • FG % defense
  • 3PT Defense
  • #9 of 10 in Assist/Turnover Ratio
  • #8 of 10 in Turnover Margin

It's clear that OU has serious problems in the paint, on defense, with athletic ability, and at running this offense with all the turnovers. Can't rebound, can't block shots, can't take care of the ball or run the offense.

OU loses Goldwire.. but has Alston, Cortes, and Milos Uzon. Are one of those guys going to be able to run the team? Alston and Cortes are iffy as hell to me.

Absolutely nothing has been done in recruiting so far to address all the other issues.

Why hasn't the #1 rebounder in junior college, and #1 overall player, who is 6'10'' and 4 hours away from Norman been offered a scholarship? Mississippi State, Maryland, West Virginia, Oregon, Ole Miss, and others seem to think he's worthy. OU has not offered him a scholarship.

https://youtu.be/KqmZtpNgS8Q?t=24

Why hasn't the #1 junior college point guard, and # 3 overall juco player been offered a scholarship? Daniss Jenkins from Odessa CC in Texas. 6 hours away from Norman. 6'3'' 185... Averaging 15 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds per game on 42% 3pt shooting. An obvious athletic upgrade.

https://youtu.be/ytapfDLXNP0?t=17

Why hasn't the Da'Sean Nelson from Kilgore CC in Texas been offered a scholarship? 5 hours away in the Dallas area... 6'8'' wing/forward with serious athletic ability who can guard lots of positions. Averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists... Tweener, but a versatile player. Cincy, Depaul, SMU, A&M, etc on him... You aren't.

https://youtu.be/SiKwe_2kxlw?t=21

Porter..... don't make me accuse you of recruiting negligence like the previous regimes. You should be using your weight as the University of Oklahoma to get these guys in the region. You aren't even trying.... You are bringing in one year rentals like Goldwire, Marvin Johnson, Chargois, etc and setting up major turnover again.

You are taking guys from Germany, Nevada, and New Jersey and totally ignoring dudes in your backyard again. If that German dude turns into Matt Freeman, Hannes Polla, or Anyang Garang and you went 5,000 miles to get him and wouldn't offer a dude who can help right now in your own backyard, you're gonna be hearing from me.

If you're plan is to win in the transfer portal.... you better actually win. I wouldn't call this first haul of transfer portal guys a big win.

Diarra is a player. I would love to see us get him.

Diarra is a player. I would love to see us get him.

Not recruiting him with OU's problems with size, athletic ability, rebounding ability, etc is an act of negligence. When you have guys like Issanza on your roster, and you don't even offer this guy a scholarship, there is no other way around it. It's an act of negligence to not even offer him a scholarship or recruit him.

I know people harass you about the JC thing, but I do not disagree with anything in your post. Of course, you'd have to obviously think that if we can see it, surely Porter and his staff can. I'm all for JCs if they can play and help you win, obviously..

Do you subscribe to some sort of basketball recruiting magazine? How do you get all your information on prospects?

I agree with all of this. Look at Obanor, he was right up the road in Tulsa. Were we in on him at all? Remember when people were calling him “Portal” Moser? Ha

calm down. YOu can't fault him for hitting the portal hard when he got the job. He had to. Give him a full year to see what he does. I'm pretty sure he wants to win as much as you do.

Who else offered/chased the Groves brothers? I'm seeing a lot of hate now, but at the time, I don't remember anybody being particularly upset. Seems like they had a few solid (not saying Duke) schools looking at them.

I'm guessing T. Groves would look a lot better if we had more than one player that could hit an outside shot.

I agree with all of this. Look at Obanor, he was right up the road in Tulsa. Were we in on him at all? Remember when people were calling him “Portal” Moser? Ha

Well, Obanor is averaging less than Tanner across the board. I think it’s safe to say no one would be thrilled with 10 and 5 from Obanor if he was on our roster.

Obanor was recruited by OU, I think OU was even in his final list of schools. You can't just pick a player & ask why OU didn't get him.

OU is dead last in the league in:
  • Team rebounds
  • Offensive rebounds
  • Defensive rebounds
  • Blocked shots
  • FG % defense
  • 3PT Defense
  • #9 of 10 in Assist/Turnover Ratio
  • #8 of 10 in Turnover Margin

It's clear that OU has serious problems in the paint, on defense, with athletic ability, and at running this offense with all the turnovers. Can't rebound, can't block shots, can't take care of the ball or run the offense.

OU loses Goldwire.. but has Alston, Cortes, and Milos Uzon. Are one of those guys going to be able to run the team? Alston and Cortes are iffy as hell to me.

Absolutely nothing has been done in recruiting so far to address all the other issues.

Why hasn't the #1 rebounder in junior college, and #1 overall player, who is 6'10'' and 4 hours away from Norman been offered a scholarship? Mississippi State, Maryland, West Virginia, Oregon, Ole Miss, and others seem to think he's worthy. OU has not offered him a scholarship.

https://youtu.be/KqmZtpNgS8Q?t=24

Why hasn't the #1 junior college point guard, and # 3 overall juco player been offered a scholarship? Daniss Jenkins from Odessa CC in Texas. 6 hours away from Norman. 6'3'' 185... Averaging 15 points, 5 assists, 4 rebounds per game on 42% 3pt shooting. An obvious athletic upgrade.

https://youtu.be/ytapfDLXNP0?t=17

Why hasn't the Da'Sean Nelson from Kilgore CC in Texas been offered a scholarship? 5 hours away in the Dallas area... 6'8'' wing/forward with serious athletic ability who can guard lots of positions. Averaging 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists... Tweener, but a versatile player. Cincy, Depaul, SMU, A&M, etc on him... You aren't.

https://youtu.be/SiKwe_2kxlw?t=21

Porter..... don't make me accuse you of recruiting negligence like the previous regimes. You should be using your weight as the University of Oklahoma to get these guys in the region. You aren't even trying.... You are bringing in one year rentals like Goldwire, Marvin Johnson, Chargois, etc and setting up major turnover again.

You are taking guys from Germany, Nevada, and New Jersey and totally ignoring dudes in your backyard again. If that German dude turns into Matt Freeman, Hannes Polla, or Anyang Garang and you went 5,000 miles to get him and wouldn't offer a dude who can help right now in your own backyard, you're gonna be hearing from me.

If you're plan is to win in the transfer portal.... you better actually win. I wouldn't call this first haul of transfer portal guys a big win.

I do love that you do this. I went back to what Jucos you were touting last year & found 2 threads you started on players.

Josh Baker - Hutchinson CC, supposed to be the best shooter in Juco. Plays for UNLV who has a 14% chance to make the tourney. Averages 17 minutes, 4 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 36% from the floor, 27% from 3.

Matt Mayer - 6'8 Forward from Hutchinson. Plays for 7-21 Robert Morris. Averages 5.8 points, 4.5 rebounds.

They would not help OU at all.

I do love that you do this. I went back to what Jucos you were touting last year & found 2 threads you started on players.

Josh Baker - Hutchinson CC, supposed to be the best shooter in Juco. Plays for UNLV who has a 14% chance to make the tourney. Averages 17 minutes, 4 points, 1 rebound, 1 assist, 36% from the floor, 27% from 3.

Matt Mayer - 6'8 Forward from Hutchinson. Plays for 7-21 Robert Morris. Averages 5.8 points, 4.5 rebounds.

Are either of them as good as the Wichita State guy a few years back who shot something like 5 percent from three for a season before washing out? And to be be fair, maybe Baker scores his four points per game in really high leverage situations. 😊

We absolutely went after him and the other big guy at texas and got outbid. Moser ended up getting his 3rd-4th pick of the lot in Chargois. Not a bad addition given the situation.

Oh but you're forgetting:

Taz Sherman - Averaging 19 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists per game at WVU.

Tae Hardy - Averaging 14 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists for Southern Miss

Craig Porter - Averaging 7 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists for Wichita State

Alonzo Verge - Averaged 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists per game at Arizona State (where he went straight out of juco)... Averaging same numbers at Nebraska this year as a portal transfer.

I am surprised about Josh Baker... he seemed like a sure thing to contribute in a similar way that Devante Bandoo did for Baylor the year before.. Almost identical resume, etc. Surprised he flopped this year. Probably needed to redshirt.

If I had full control of recruiting the team, our 12 deep would look like this RIGHT NOW.

PG: Alonzo Verge/Craig Porter
SG: Taz Sherman/Tae Hardy
SG: Alondes Williams/Eli Harkless
PF: Brady Manek/Matt Mayer
C: Kur Kuath/DeAndre Pinkney (averaging 9 and 5 at Southern Miss, another dude I wanted them to recruit)
11th: Akol Mawein
12th: Wilfried Likayi (I was all about this guy, and he averages 6 and 2 at Coastal Carolina lol)
13th: Josh Baker... Would have been redshirting right now

I was all over these guys... Did some of those dudes miss? Yep no doubt about it. But I didn't miss on several of them.

Ask yourself... would you want my roster or this one? I know which I would take.

Oh but you're forgetting:

Taz Sherman - Averaging 19 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists per game at WVU.

Tae Hardy - Averaging 14 points, 2 rebounds, and 2 assists for Southern Miss

Craig Porter - Averaging 7 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists for Wichita State

Alonzo Verge - Averaged 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists per game at Arizona State (where he went straight out of juco)... Averaging same numbers at Nebraska this year as a portal transfer.

I am surprised about Josh Baker... he seemed like a sure thing to contribute in a similar way that Devante Bandoo did for Baylor the year before.. Almost identical resume, etc. Surprised he flopped this year. Probably needed to redshirt.

If I had full control of recruiting the team, our 12 deep would look like this RIGHT NOW.

PG: Alonzo Verge/Craig Porter
SG: Taz Sherman/Tae Hardy
SG: Alondes Williams/Eli Harkless
PF: Brady Manek/Matt Mayer
C: Kur Kuath/DeAndre Pinkney (averaging 9 and 5 at Southern Miss, another dude I wanted them to recruit)
11th: Akol Mawein
12th: Wilfried Likayi (I was all about this guy, and he averages 6 and 2 at Coastal Carolina lol)
13th: Josh Baker... Would have been redshirting right now

I was all over these guys... Did some of those dudes miss? Yep no doubt about it. But I didn't miss on several of them.

Ask yourself... would you want my roster or this one? I know which I would take.

Do you have the posts where you talked about them? I only saw you create 2 threads on Jucos last year & it was just Baker & Mayer. I did this the year before & I think you hit on 2 of 7 players.

I just found you talked about Chris Payton from Indian Hills. Currently averaging 0.8 & 0.8 in 12 games for Pitt this year.

If we assembled the roster of guys you were constantly talking about, I think OU would be 4-20.

Last edited:

Once again, one quickly spots the fallacies in this, the latest of your periodic juco jeremiads.

You have guys on your "dream" roster who left of their own accord -- they weren't run off by Moser. So they shouldn't be on your list, unless you would keep them in Norman at gunpoint.

And then there's that old standby: your persistent refusal to acknowledge that not all -- and perhaps none -- of the jucos you tout would have any interest in playing at OU. The implication in your diatribes is that they are all dying to be Sooners, if only we would offer. You also consistently presume that OU has NOT reached out to at least some of them, only to have the player demur. You never even allow for this possibility.

Do you have the posts where you talked about them? I only saw you create 2 threads on Jucos last year & it was just Baker & Mayer. I did this the year before & I think you hit on 2 of 7 players.

If we assembled the roster of guys you were constantly talking about, I think OU would be 4-20.

4th post in this thread: http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42124&highlight=Alonzo+Verge

25th post of this thread: http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42893&highlight=Hardy

Taz Sherman - Primary thread. : http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42905&highlight=Sherman

It's all there man.

Once again, one quickly spots the fallacies in this, the latest of your periodic juco jeremiads.

You have guys on your "dream" roster who left of their own accord -- they weren't run off by Moser. So they shouldn't be on your list, unless you would keep them in Norman at gunpoint.

And then there's that old standby: your persistent refusal to acknowledge that not all -- and perhaps none -- of the jucos you tout would have any interest in playing at OU. The implication in your diatribes is that they are all dying to be Sooners, if only we would offer. You also consistently presume that OU has NOT reached out to at least some of them, only to have the player demur. You never even allow for this possibility.

Yea he apparently thinks he would just be able to kidnap all these guys and make them play in Norman. Apparently kids don’t have any free will in deciding where to go. This is the dumbest part of this entire thing. Not even Kentucky and Duke can just select kids they want and get 100 percent of them.

Also it’s funny he lists Alondes as a starter over Harkless since, if memory serves, he was one of EJ’s biggest fans and never once suggested Alondes was the better player when Williams was here for two years.

I looked at other guys & comments in those threads made by you and here is your actual roster, not the handpicked ones that came to OU that you never mentioned.

Alonzo Verge - decent player. 2nd best player on 7-20 Nebraska, but definitely a P5 player.

Taz Sherman - good player. Best player on the worst team in the Big 12.

Tae Hardy - Averaged 11, 2.5, 2.5 at Southern Miss.

Khalid Thomas - Couldn't get on the floor at Arizona State, averaged 11 & 6 at Portland State.

Deandre Pinckney - Averaged 9 & 5 at Southern Miss.

Terrence Lewis - Averaged 6 & 2 at Iowa State

Kayne Henry - Averaged 9 & 5.5 at Jacksonville State

Darius Allen - Couldn't play at Baylore, averaged 8 & 4 at Tennessee Tech.

You were also saying Bienemy was an all-conference player & that Reeves might never start at OU.

I love that you get topics going, and I understand everyone can be wrong (I certainly am). However, JUCO recruiting is obviously not the way to go, too many busts & most have baggage.

yes OU wanted him very badly and tried to get him

Back