Is Brady Manek the steadiest player in recent memory?

He’s back!:facepalm

I think he was worried that his claim to most ridiculous poster was being threatened, so he has emerged with a couple trolling comments tonight. Can't wait till we hit a rough patch Saturday so he and some of the others can really get going. I do wonder, however, if he has maintained his uncomfortable obsession with Polla...

Cant believe so much hate on Manek. Dude isnt a lottery pick.

Gonna have some flaws. Jr and Sr should be his best!

Guys.... this is 23 out of 34 games last year. About 70% of the games played. That is about as consistent and steady as it gets. You get that kind of production out of a true sophomore in 70% of games played and you've got yourself a player. Very few players, especially underclassmen, do this kind of thing 100% of the time.

17 points, 8 rebounds against Notre Dame
16 points, 11 rebounds against Kansas
15 points, 5 rebounds against OSU
13 points, 7 rebounds against Tech
16 points, 4 rebounds against Vandy
15 points, 3 rebounds against OSU
18 points, 4 rebounds against WVU
16 points, 2 rebounds against ISU
11 points, 11 rebounds against Texas Tech
14 points, 7 rebounds against TCU
12 points, 5 rebounds against Texas
14 points, 6 rebounds against WVU
21 points, 5 rebounds against KU
22 points, 4 rebounds against WVU
13 points, 5 rebounds against KU
18 points, 1 rebound against Ole Miss
18 points, 10 rebounds against Wofford
15 points, 5 rebounds against USC
11 points, 5 rebounds against Baylor
10 points, 8 rebounds against North Texas
18 points, 5 rebounds against Creighton
12 points, 12 rebounds against UT Rio Valley
10 points, 11 rebounds against UTSA

And..... right on queue for Mr. Manek to start this season:

16 points and 5 rebounds against UTSA. Right in his wheelhouse from 70% of the games from last year.

Guys.... this is 23 out of 34 games last year. About 70% of the games played. That is about as consistent and steady as it gets. You get that kind of production out of a true sophomore in 70% of games played and you've got yourself a player. Very few players, especially underclassmen, do this kind of thing 100% of the time.

16 points and 5 rebounds against UTSA. Right in his wheelhouse from 70% of the games from last year.

Ill take it. Ill take a 14-6 guy the next 2 years.

Then after that... Ill take him again every 4 years!

Guys.... this is 23 out of 34 games last year. About 70% of the games played. That is about as consistent and steady as it gets.

Nah.

Very good player. But needs to work on being “consistent and steady”. Home/road shooting splits way more extreme than most players. He understands it.

First, I hope my post wasn't seen as a criticism of Brady. Far from it. Young players often have to learn consistency. But to fill out the picture, I think this is sort of what people are referring to about Brady from last season:

Florida: 6 points
Wisconsin: 3 points
Dayton: 3 points
Wichita State: 8 points
K State: 5 points
Texas: 9 points
Baylor: 3 points
ISU: 9 points
K State: 4 points

Again, I'm not saying a player can never have an off game. Happens to the best of them, especially younger players. All I'm saying, and what I think most others are as well, is that in order to take the next step from being a "good" player to being the star I think he can be, Brady will need to have a lot fewer of these sorts of games.

He averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds per game in 70% of his games as a sophomore.... First game of this season, he scores 16 points and grabs 5 rebounds.

Could he do stuff better? Sure, so could any player. But I think the numbers prove he is pretty damn steady and consistent.

he averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds per game in 70% of his games as a sophomore.... First game of this season, he scores 16 points and grabs 5 rebounds.

Could he do stuff better? Sure, so could any player. But i think the numbers prove he is pretty damn steady and consistent.

agree 100%

He averaged 15 points and 6 rebounds per game in 70% of his games as a sophomore.... First game of this season, he scores 16 points and grabs 5 rebounds.

Could he do stuff better? Sure, so could any player. But I think the numbers prove he is pretty damn steady and consistent.

First game of season, at home, he is 0-5 from 3.
He's a junior. He has to knock down some of those shots. If he had, it wouldn't have been 36-36 at halftime.

abd, those numbers look better than I remembered.
I think the problem is that he doesn't shoot consistently. If you go look at his game logs, his shooting is pretty up and down.

I essentially agree with you. Brady is a solid and fairly consistent player.

Is he the "steadiest player in recent memory?" Not even close. I get that it's not a totally fair comparison, but I'd say Buddy Hield was "recent memory." From Buddy's sophomore to his senior season, Buddy had a total of 8 games where he scored in the single digits. Brady had 10 such games last season alone (including a handful of dreadful 3/4 point total disappearing acts). So if we're just doing the "he does X, Y percent of the time" thing, Buddy was consistently good over 90% of the time.

I'm not sure why we are down to semantics on this. All I'm saying is Brady is pretty consistent, but he could be more consistent. Being good/solid in 70% of your games is good. He'll start doing it in 90% if he wants to be considered the "steadiest player in recent memory."

Everybody has off shooting nights. Buddy Hield had an 0-7 game as a junior in a loss to Baylor. The point is that Manek didn't let his poor shooting keep him from still having a solid overall game.

I think the biggest issue people have in general with Brady are his defensive woes. He is fine when paired with Doolittle (well, the entire team benefits), but his numbers drop dramatically defensively without him. His adjusted defensive plus/minus numbers for the season last year were about 2.9 above average. That is about 2 full points below both Doolittle and even Bieniemy. Brady is offensively consistent with numbers and even total rebounds, but rebounds out of area are below average, as well as shooting percentages fluctuating nightly.

All that being said though--he is a very solid college basketball player that would be far more effective with a strong rim-protecting rim-hunting big, and consistent shooting from his guards......and not having a superior player in Doolittle at his position. He has been, and will continue to be an asset for the Sooners.

17 points, 10 rebounds against Minnesota
10 points, 7 rebounds against Oregon State

He just keeps humming along.

17 points, 10 rebounds against Minnesota
10 points, 7 rebounds against Oregon State

He just keeps humming along.

I didn't think he played well against Oregon State. Didn't shoot well, got beat on the boards a lot. However, he does look stronger this year but still easy to move around.

Back