Is Goldwire the starting point guard?

Never understand?

To this point he has been pretty ineffective. He's a tweener. We will see what he does this year, but I think he should be playing forward at a school like Western Kentucky, Detroit, Ohio, Stephen F. Austin, etc.

0 points, 3 rebounds against OSU
2 points, 3 rebounds against WVU
0 points, 0 rebounds against Baylor
3 points, 1 rebound against ORU
2 points, 5 rebounds against Xavier
4 points, 4 rebounds against Mizzou
0 points, 0 rebounds against Texas
6 points, 2 rebounds against Texas Tech
4 points, 3 rebounds against Houston Baptist
1 point, 2 rebounds against Kansas State
4 points, 4 rebounds against TCU
6 points, 4 rebounds against Florida A&M

Thats half the season.

2.4 points and 2.3 rebounds per game. He had some decent games against Gonzaga, Bama, and ISU... But the most points he ever scored all year was 11. He scored in double figures twice all year.

Doesn't turn it over? He has 31 assists and 30 turnovers on his career.

The big hype on him out of high school was his 3pt shooting ability for a wing. Everyone loves the idea of the 6'6'' wing and it screams potential, but he hasn't shown much of it. Anything he has shown has been in the paint, scoring some random buckets in transition and stuff like that... He's hit 11 3's in two years at 29%. He's not even a good foul shooter for some reason. 68% on his career.

He just hasn't produced much... he's shown literally nothing on the "wing"... and anything he has done has been at the 4 spot.

Maybe he will blow up this year under a new regime and in a different roster situation.... But he's been 100% hype so far.

Only someone who doesn’t understand basketball or is unwilling to acknowledge stuff that doesn’t show up in a box score would fail to recognize the ways Hill has helped the team win games. I guess Jeremiah Hall doesn’t help the football team win unless he catches a touchdown pass. Apparently being a versatile player who can guard just about every position and who is one of the best communicators on defense is nothing more than hype.

Only someone who doesn’t understand basketball or is unwilling to acknowledge stuff that doesn’t show up in a box score would fail to recognize the ways Hill has helped the team win games.

I acknowledge all of those things in Harkless to the extreme..... because he actually does them.

I can't wait for the Jalen Hill to NBA threads and posts to start churning from you guys.

I acknowledge all of those things in Harkless to the extreme..... because he actually does them.

I can't wait for the Jalen Hill to NBA threads and posts to start churning from you guys.

Lol nah, we’ll wait for more posts from you guys about Reaves being a guy who will make a nice little living overseas.

Hill is a more versatile defender than Harkless. We lost a couple games late last season in part because Harkless struggled to block out his man. I like Harkless a lot, and he obviously was a better offensive player than Hill, but Hill is at least his equal defensively.

Hill was one guy I for sure thought we’d lose to UNLV because of Kevin Kruger and being close to home. I was elated he decided to stay. I like his skills. I’m hoping he can flourish offensively under the new regime with more minutes, structure, and confidence. We’ll see..

Let me put this in perspective.. evaluation against his peers. The league is absolutely loaded at the "forward" position.

Let's say this was a draft. Where you would take Jalen Hill in this draft?

Oklahoma State - Kalib Boone
-As a sophomore, he averaged 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Led the Big 12 in blocks. And set the OSU record for FG percentage on a season.

Kansas - Jalen Williams
-Big 12 All-Newcomer and All-Freshman Teams... Led Kansas and the Big 12 freshmen in rebound average at 7.9 rpg … Ranked second in the Big 12 in rebounds (7.9), second in double-doubles (9) and 12th in free throw percentage (63.0) … His six double-doubles in Big 12 play were tied for the most in the conference.

TCU - Emanuel Miller
- Ranked first in the SEC in field goal percentage (57.1%), second in rebounding per game (8.2), seventh in points per game (16.2 ppg) and ninth in free throw percentage (81.7%) … Finished with a team-high six double-doubles, five of which Miller scored 20-or-more points, which is the most in a season by an Aggie since 1995

Texas - Christian Bishop
-Started all 31 games at Creighton ... averaged 11.0 points and a team-best 6.4 rebounds in 23.5 minutes per game while helping the Bluejays post a 22-9 overall record (14-6 BIG EAST) and advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament ... converted 68.1-percent from the floor (141-207), ranking second on the Creighton single-season chart ... led the BIG EAST in field goal percentage and his 68.1-percent mark was tops nationally in Division I

Baylor - Matt Mayer
-Averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds per game off the bench for a national championship team. 40% 3pt shooter.

Iowa State - Aljaz Kunc
-Transfer from Washington State. averaged 6.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in 19.9 minutes per game … once healthy, saw his minutes increase to 30 per game and averaged 8.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, reaching double figures in five of the season’s final eight contests … posted seven double-digit scoring efforts … had a season-high 15 points at Arizona State … pulled down a career-high 14 rebounds against Arizona … tallied 13 points, connecting on 3-of-5 3-pointers, against UCLA … shot a team-best 87.2 percent at the line

West Virginia - Jalen Bridges
-Big 12 All-Freshman Team... Averaged 5.9 points and 3.6 rebounds per game... Shot 49.6 percent from the field and 40.9 percent from 3-point range.. Made his first career start and had 19 points at Oklahoma, becoming the first Mountaineer freshman to score 19 or more points on at least 5-of-6 shooting from 3-point range

Texas Tech - Kevin Obanor
-Julius Erving Award Watch List... Played three seasons at Oral Roberts University where he scored 1,306 points and secured 684 rebounds... Helped the Golden Eagles to the 2021 Sweet 16 with three double-doubles in the 2021 NCAA Tournament... Shined in the NCAA Tournament with three double-doubles, including going off for 30 points and 11 rebounds in a first-round upset of Ohio State and followed it with 28 points and 11 rebounds in a win over Florida

Kansas State - Ismael Massoud
-Averaged 8.3 points on 34.1 percent shooting (58-of-170), including 33.6 percent (36-of-107) from 3-point range, with 3.4 rebounds, 0.5 assists and 0.4 steals per game… Connected on 73.2 percent (30-of-41) from the free throw line. Ranked among the team’s top-5 in a number of categories, including second in 3-point field goals made (36), third in field goals made (58), fourth in free throws made (30) and rebounding (3.4 rpg.) and fifth in scoring (8.3 ppg.).

I think Hill will be most improved from last year.

He loves OU. Kruger/Carlin tried taking him but never wavered on leaving OU.

I must be taking crazy pills bc i am with abd on this one.. not a buyer on Hill, but we'll see

I think increased competition and Moser's intensity will make a lot of the old players improve a ton

I think Hill will be most improved from last year.

He loves OU. Kruger/Carlin tried taking him but never wavered on leaving OU.

I think he lacks confidence more so than ability. He needs to get over the hump of deferring to others and just be more demonstrative with the ball.

Let me put this in perspective.. evaluation against his peers. The league is absolutely loaded at the "forward" position.

Let's say this was a draft. Where you would take Jalen Hill in this draft?

Oklahoma State - Kalib Boone
-As a sophomore, he averaged 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game. Led the Big 12 in blocks. And set the OSU record for FG percentage on a season.

Kansas - Jalen Williams
-Big 12 All-Newcomer and All-Freshman Teams... Led Kansas and the Big 12 freshmen in rebound average at 7.9 rpg … Ranked second in the Big 12 in rebounds (7.9), second in double-doubles (9) and 12th in free throw percentage (63.0) … His six double-doubles in Big 12 play were tied for the most in the conference.

TCU - Emanuel Miller
- Ranked first in the SEC in field goal percentage (57.1%), second in rebounding per game (8.2), seventh in points per game (16.2 ppg) and ninth in free throw percentage (81.7%) … Finished with a team-high six double-doubles, five of which Miller scored 20-or-more points, which is the most in a season by an Aggie since 1995

Texas - Christian Bishop
-Started all 31 games at Creighton ... averaged 11.0 points and a team-best 6.4 rebounds in 23.5 minutes per game while helping the Bluejays post a 22-9 overall record (14-6 BIG EAST) and advance to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament ... converted 68.1-percent from the floor (141-207), ranking second on the Creighton single-season chart ... led the BIG EAST in field goal percentage and his 68.1-percent mark was tops nationally in Division I

Baylor - Matt Mayer
-Averaged 8 points and 4 rebounds per game off the bench for a national championship team. 40% 3pt shooter.

Iowa State - Aljaz Kunc
-Transfer from Washington State. averaged 6.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in 19.9 minutes per game … once healthy, saw his minutes increase to 30 per game and averaged 8.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, reaching double figures in five of the season’s final eight contests … posted seven double-digit scoring efforts … had a season-high 15 points at Arizona State … pulled down a career-high 14 rebounds against Arizona … tallied 13 points, connecting on 3-of-5 3-pointers, against UCLA … shot a team-best 87.2 percent at the line

West Virginia - Jalen Bridges
-Big 12 All-Freshman Team... Averaged 5.9 points and 3.6 rebounds per game... Shot 49.6 percent from the field and 40.9 percent from 3-point range.. Made his first career start and had 19 points at Oklahoma, becoming the first Mountaineer freshman to score 19 or more points on at least 5-of-6 shooting from 3-point range

Texas Tech - Kevin Obanor
-Julius Erving Award Watch List... Played three seasons at Oral Roberts University where he scored 1,306 points and secured 684 rebounds... Helped the Golden Eagles to the 2021 Sweet 16 with three double-doubles in the 2021 NCAA Tournament... Shined in the NCAA Tournament with three double-doubles, including going off for 30 points and 11 rebounds in a first-round upset of Ohio State and followed it with 28 points and 11 rebounds in a win over Florida

Kansas State - Ismael Massoud
-Averaged 8.3 points on 34.1 percent shooting (58-of-170), including 33.6 percent (36-of-107) from 3-point range, with 3.4 rebounds, 0.5 assists and 0.4 steals per game… Connected on 73.2 percent (30-of-41) from the free throw line. Ranked among the team’s top-5 in a number of categories, including second in 3-point field goals made (36), third in field goals made (58), fourth in free throws made (30) and rebounding (3.4 rpg.) and fifth in scoring (8.3 ppg.).

Somewhere in the middle.

So we've already gone to this approach? No one is saying Jalen Hill is even an all conference player ... But he's a solid, easy to root for D-1 player.

Every D-1 coach in America wants a guy like Jalen Hill in his 10 deep. Loves the school, positive attitude, plays his butt off every time he steps on the floor, hustles for rebounds and lose balls, doesn't make mistakes (did you seriously call him out for 30 turnovers in 55 games?), awesome teammate, and defends multiple positions -- and doesn't take shots away from your best players. In terms of shooting, he's got decent percentages, so you're comfortable with him shooting it when he's open.

He gets no appreciation for what he has done, much of which does not show up in the box score.

I'm with CoachTalk. I think he'll show improvement and be a 7 pts and 4 rebounds a game guy. Because of his versatility defensively, he can switch every screen. He'll play 18-25 minutes per game as a starter or 6/7th man.

The fact that he is a borderline starter for OU & I would take him over at least 3 of your handpicked players is pretty good.

Which ones? Those aren't handpicked. Those are the starters at the same position for his peers.

But he's a solid, easy to root for D-1 player.

Nobody is saying sit him at the end of the bench and don't play him.

But wouldn't you agree, with a description like that, we'd all like OU to get the point where we're starting better, or higher upside, players?

I really like Hill's attitude and personality...at least what I see. I think he hustles his butt off and does some of the "dirty work"...

With that said, I think it's a stretch (from what we've seen for the last couple years) that he will make an nba roster. Who cares...as long as he kicks butt and plays hard for OU that's all I care about.

I don't want to post a bunch of information, video, etc to rag on the guy beyond what I have already done.... so we will just have to agree to disagree. If we can evaluate it without it being seen as attacking, great, but I am not going to do that unless asked.

Nobody is saying sit him at the end of the bench and don't play him.

But wouldn't you agree, with a description like that, we'd all like OU to get the point where we're starting better, or higher upside, players?

Without question. 5 guys with nba first round upside is the goal.

Which ones? Those aren't handpicked. Those are the starters at the same position for his peers.

ISU & KSU for sure, I’d have to see how the others play defense but maybe even WVU guy.

Handpicked because Boone & Miller played the 5.

Back