Is there a guard in college basketball that you would take over Willie?

I havent seen one name mentioned in this thread yet that I would say is as good or better than Willie.

Did you see the KU/OU game in Norman last year?
Trust me, Sherron Collins is as good.

I would not take anyone above Willie. I think if he keeps his emotions in check (not completely, just not too many wild swings) and stays focused 40 minutes per game for at least all of conference play, then he will be strong contender for national player of the year.

Did you see the KU/OU game in Norman last year?
Trust me, Sherron Collins is as good.

I was there. He hit a couple huge shots down the stretch. But WW was a freshman, playing in his first game w/o BG on the court. By the time these two teams meet in Lawrence this year, WW will be the man.

By the time these two teams meet in Lawrence this year, WW will be the man.

Yes, WW will be the man....but Sherron already is.

And to say Sherron "hit a couple huge shots down the stretch" in Norman last year is like saying Leondard da Vinci had a couple good paintings in his lifetime.

Let's not get out of hand with regards to Collins. Believe me, I think he is a very good player. He is a guy that can get a shot or create an opportunity just about every time up the floor.

But let's hold off on calling a guy that shoots 43% from the field on a winning team with other solid players a "great" player. He is very good, no doubt. But his efficiency is not "great". I honestly think he needs to tighten his game up a bit before we put him at the next level. And, don't get me wrong, Willie needs to tighten his game up, too. I'm not talking about Collins in comparison to Warren.

Let's not get out of hand with regards to Collins. Believe me, I think he is a very good player. He is a guy that can get a shot or create an opportunity just about every time up the floor.
But let's hold off on calling a guy that shoots 43% from the field on a winning team with other solid players a "great" player. He is very good, no doubt. But his efficiency is not "great". I honestly think he needs to tighten his game up a bit before we put him at the next level. And, don't get me wrong, Willie needs to tighten his game up, too. I'm not talking about Collins in comparison to Warren.

:ez-laugh: Wow! Sherron Collins is on everyone's 1st team all-american lists this year. He's a great player. He shot 43% last year because if you looked around him a lot of the time it was Brady Morningstar and Tyrel Reed out there with him. They couldn't create to save their lives. KU far exceeded expectations last year because of Sherron Collins. He stepped up bigtime.
Sherron was the only true offensive threat on the team.
With a similar to season to last year Sherron will end up KU's 4th all time leading scorer and 6th in assists in the HISTORY of KU hoops. If that's not great then I don't know what is.
It's very much debateable who will be the best guard in the Big 12 next year between Sherron and WW, it's not debateable at all that Sherron Collins isn't a great college basketball player.

I would take Sherron over Willie going into next season.

Oh and don't bother posting some draft projection. Read the thread title.

I would take Sherron over Willie going into next season. Oh and don't bother posting some draft projection. Read the thread title.

Agreed. Move WW progression up to his senior year then I say him without a doubt. But Sherron as a senior and WW as a soph I'm taking Sherron.
Play...what is your opinion on Sherron...is he a great college player or a good college player. You've seen him a lot.

Bingo.

Difference between the two in last year's game...Willie started off hot then disappeared in the second half (mainly due to some good KU defense). Collins rose to the occasion and sealed the win.

That's the main difference between the two right now. Wouldn't be surprised if Willie becomes more familiar in that role this year.

Difference between the two in last year's game...Willie started off hot then disappeared in the second half (mainly due to some good KU defense). Collins rose to the occasion and sealed the win.

That's the main difference between the two right now. Wouldn't be surprised if Willie becomes more familiar in that role this year.

Collins did his thing, but from a pure talent standpoint it is no contest.

Play...what is your opinion on Sherron...is he a great college player or a good college player. You've seen him a lot.
I think anyone that ends up an All-American is who I reserve as "great" college player. Sherron is that caliber. His problem may be there is only one basketball. He would score 20+ a game next year at OU, but at KU he may be more in the 14-15 range.

I think Willie and Sherron are definitely the best two returning guards in the league and both have a good shot at being AA. Willie may actually have a better shot because of what I said above. Both guys went off in Norman last year, and only foul trouble slowed Willie down. That is a good look at what Willie will bring to the table, seeing as Blake didn't play.

Both are guys you like to pull for.

I think anyone that ends up an All-American is who I reserve as "great" college player. Sherron is that caliber. His problem may be there is only one basketball. He would score 20+ a game next year at OU, but at KU he may be more in the 14-15 range.

I think Willie and Sherron are definitely the best two returning guards in the league and both have a good shot at being AA. Willie may actually have a better shot because of what I said above. Both guys went off in Norman last year, and only foul trouble slowed Willie down. That is a good look at what Willie will bring to the table, seeing as Blake didn't play.

Both are guys you like to pull for.

I think Collins has a much better shot at AA because he will be on the preseason #1 team and is on most of the preseason AA lists. That is huge in terms of how people vote. I think he will still average around 16-18 a game with Cole around 15 and Henry around 12-14 (much like WW last year). I think Collins will shoot a much higher % next year due to having more talent and won't have to force as much.

If I were an OU fan I wouldn't take Collins over Warren and as a KU fan I wouldn't trade Collins for Warren. As play said they are both by far the best guards in conference and maybe the 2 best in the country.

Can you imagine putting an All Big 12 team against other conference? Big 12 has the most talent imo.

Collins
Warren
James/Anderson/Dunn (don't know which I'd pick)
Brackins
Aldrich

I think Collins has a much better shot at AA because he will be on the preseason #1 team and is on most of the preseason AA lists. That is huge in terms of how people vote. I think he will still average around 16-18 a game with Cole around 15 and Henry around 12-14 (much like WW last year). I think Collins will shoot a much higher % next year due to having more talent and won't have to force as much.

If I were an OU fan I wouldn't take Collins over Warren and as a KU fan I wouldn't trade Collins for Warren. As play said they are both by far the best guards in conference and maybe the 2 best in the country.

Can you imagine putting an All Big 12 team against other conference? Big 12 has the most talent imo.

Collins
Warren
James/Anderson/Dunn (don't know which I'd pick)
Brackins
Aldrich

Dammit, agreeing with a Jayhawk twice in one day. Collins, Warren, and Anderson are Heads and shoulders above the rest of the frey as far as guards are concerned. After that you have Dunn, Muenelo, Bradley, and Clemente(please abd don't bring up the guy from Colorado. His numbers are only good because he's the only guy that can score on that team). Collins could average 15pts a game and be a POY candidate on that team. In similar style, Ty Lawson averaged 15 and was ACC POY. Now if we talk about Shooting Range, offensive explosion, first step, mid range, finishing in traffic, the things that get you projected in the top 5, there is no comparison. It's obvious who the top dog is in those circumstances.

Good point about being on the preseason team and being on a better team, Grace. I do think it will hurt him with all the other scorers around him. Hopefully the voters lean more toward who is the best player on the best team and not who scores the most points, from Sherron's point of view.

Good point about being on the preseason team and being on a better team, Grace. I do think it will hurt him with all the other scorers around him. Hopefully the voters lean more toward who is the best player on the best team and not who scores the most points, from Sherron's point of view.

From my memory they typically favor the best player on the best team. Hansborough over Beasley is a great example or even Jay Williams over Drew Gooden back in the day.

DM, I think some of the things you listed are much closer than you think. WW's biggest advantage is that he is bigger but you won't find a better college finisher in a guard than Collins. He is unbelievable at getting to the basket and finishing. I think Collins proved in Lloyd Noble that his shooting range is equal or greater than WW.

The bottom line is that WW has everything that Collins has (maybe not the handles or speed with the ball) but he has it in a 6'4 muscular frame while Collins has it in a 5'11 muscular frame. In basketball that is a huge difference.

From my memory they typically favor the best player on the best team. Hansborough over Beasley is a great example or even Jay Williams over Drew Gooden back in the day.

DM, I think some of the things you listed are much closer than you think. WW's biggest advantage is that he is bigger but you won't find a better college finisher in a guard than Collins. He is unbelievable at getting to the basket and finishing. I think Collins proved in Lloyd Noble that his shooting range is equal or greater than WW.

The bottom line is that WW has everything that Collins has (maybe not the handles or speed with the ball) but he has it in a 6'4 muscular frame while Collins has it in a 5'11 muscular frame. In basketball that is a huge difference.

This

Yeah, you won't get any argument from me that WW is by far the superior pro prospect. He is a stud and I would have taken him over guys like Evans, Curry, and others in this last years draft.

Evans is pretty good, but I think Curry will be a bust.

Collins did his thing, but from a pure talent standpoint it is no contest.

I don't know about that. Collins is a pure better shooter and ball-handler. WW is more athletic.

Well said.

Back