Is WW being used correctly?

StatGeek

Reaction score
I have been and continue to be very disappointed in his play this season (perhaps my expectations for him were too high) for a myriad of reasons, but I have to say that we don't do anything as a team to help him be successful. Every time he touches the ball he is 25 feet from the basket and is asked to beat his man one on one; inevitably he either tries to shoot over the defense or attempts to penetrate where the help defense causes problems for him. Why don't we run him off some screens around the elbow for some quick 15 footers or get him the ball in the post where one dribble gets him to the rim. I know we try to clear one side of the floor for him sometimes, and IMO that is when he has been most effective this season.

A big part of the reason he is always 25 feet from the basket when he catches it is he shows absolutely no desire to work for the basketball when he doesn't have it.

Absolutely absurd. You aren't going to feed the ball to a 6'2" guard trying to work inside. He's not going to spot up on the outside because he is not a great outside shooter. I would imagine he is doing exactly what his coach wants him to do offensively. I'm sort of fed up with these knuckleheads that want to bag on a college kid who is undoubtedly working harder than they ever thought about working.

Absolutely absurd. You aren't going to feed the ball to a 6'2" guard trying to work inside. He's not going to spot up on the outside because he is not a great outside shooter. I would imagine he is doing exactly what his coach wants him to do offensively. I'm sort of fed up with these knuckleheads that want to bag on a college kid who is undoubtedly working harder than they ever thought about working.

Where does this vibe come from?

Where does this vibe come from?

No kidding. Capel can't make Willie drive when all Willie wants to do is jack up long range shots. Willie is our best player when he drives to the bucket. He finishes tough shots and makes nice passes. Why does he settle for the jumper so often if he is working so hard?

I kind of invisioned WW playing like Corey Brewer this year.

That really hasn't materialized.

The only shots WW has in his game are lay-ups, floaters and 3's (where he is very inconsistent). If you're Capel, there is not much else you can do than trying to manufacture a driving lane for him amongst the offense. WW has very poor shot mechanics so running him off picks where he can either curl for a mid-range jumper or flare for a 3 really won't help him much. His best weapon is driving to the hole and getting to the free throw line.

I will admit, however, that he does need to move more on the offensive end. When he become stagnant, there are fewer driving lanes for him to attack. Against a zone, it also doesn't help that TMG and Willie don't do a good job of moving the ball around the top, they take more of a "catch and hold" mentality.

From what I have seen, I am not sure we are watching the same kid. Working hard and Willie don't come out in the same sentence for me.

He doesn't work hard to get open inside 25 feet and when they do set screens for them he jogs off of them and goes out 25 feet so he can go one on one. Many times he catches the ball around 19 feet and backs up so he can get a walking start to make a move at the basket.

From what I have seen, I am not sure we are watching the same kid. Working hard and Willie don't come out in the same sentence for me.

He doesn't work hard to get open inside 25 feet and when they do set screens for them he jogs off of them and goes out 25 feet so he can go one on one. Many times he catches the ball around 19 feet and backs up so he can get a walking start to make a move at the basket.

1.) Do you attend the practices? He wouldn't be starting if he wasn't working hard in practice...ask TMG and Tiny.

2.)whats your point regarding the bolded statement?

The guy said they only get him the ball 25 feet from the basket, so I was explaining why that happens a lot of times.

To your first comment. I don't attend practices, therefore you could be correct. However he doesn't play hard all the time and doesn't come out either. I think Capel sees him as one of the main scorers so he has to play him. I don't think it is a reward for practicing hard.

You want my opinion on things? Last year OU's hardest worker was their best player. This year, that is not the case. That is why I think you are having a lot of issues with the guys not playing together or playing hard all the time.

What two guys do you think play the hardest consistently? I would say Cade Davis and Tony Crocker. They got to see Blake and Taylor work out and practice hard. These freshmen did not and are only following suit of what they see the "best" player do in practice and workouts.

My opinion, so can be wrong.

This thread has gone in a different direction than I had intended. Everyone has their opinion on Warren himself, but I was curious about ways to integrate him into a cohesive offensive gameplan. And for clarification im not advocating using him in the post just thinking of ways to give him more opportunity to succeed.

Back