It’s about time (imo)

Can't leave college basketball to the Eddie Sutton's of the world.

Not a fan. Massive cheating at Kentucky. Prolonged alcohol abuse. Drunk driving. Lucky he didn't kill anybody. Enabled his son's addition to pills for who knows how many years.

He was a good coach, but at some point the cheating and off the court stuff has to matter.

Congrats to Eddie Sutton! It was time to stop punishing him for what happened at Kentucky. While some will debate that, there is no debate based on what he accomplished on the court. After we owned OSU in hoops during the 1980s, Eddie comes aboard in the fall of 1990 and put an immediate stop to that. I'll always remember the great rivalry he created and his battles against Kelvin Sampson.

Congrats to Eddie Sutton! It was time to stop punishing him for what happened at Kentucky. While some will debate that, there is no debate based on what he accomplished on the court. After we owned OSU in hoops during the 1980s, Eddie comes aboard in the fall of 1990 and put an immediate stop to that. I'll always remember the great rivalry he created and his battles against Kelvin Sampson.
The turnaround was very swift. And he had the good fortune to come on board in Stillwater with some talent left behind by Leonard Hamilton. His first few teams, up through the '95 Final Four, were VERY good. He turned O-State into the Last Chance Saloon after struggling from '96-98 and he became the maestro of D-1 transfers. From there on, they were super tough.

He's a hell of a coach and I'm glad he's going in while still walking the Earth (hopefully).

Not a fan. Massive cheating at Kentucky. Prolonged alcohol abuse. Drunk driving. Lucky he didn't kill anybody. Enabled his son's addition to pills for who knows how many years.

He was a good coach, but at some point the cheating and off the court stuff has to matter.

I agree with you.... at some point massive character flaws, dishonesty, cheating, etc has to matter, especially if you are seeking high office, or a top award.

Totally agree with you.

He has been in the college basketball hof for years. It’s nice he made this one also.

It’s a fair argument to leave him out based on cheating. While I personally may disagree, it is a legit argument. But I’m not on board keeping him out for boorish, off-the-court behavior. If u do that, u would take out half the coaches, starting with Bobby Knight.

I noticed in today’s paper that after his 94 final four team he didn’t make the tournament the next two years. Obviously the aggies should have brought in a different coach. This probably belongs in a different thread.

Not a Knight fan, but he didn't drunkenly wreck into someone, have his kid take a test for another player, and shamelessly go to a lower level school simply to get 800 wins.

The OK media has sold Eddie as this grandfatherly saint of Little Brotherdom when in actuality he's a sleaze.

Tubbs>Sutton

Not a Knight fan, but he didn't drunkenly wreck into someone, have his kid take a test for another player, and shamelessly go to a lower level school simply to get 800 wins.

The OK media has sold Eddie as this grandfatherly saint of Little Brotherdom when in actuality he's a sleaze.

Tubbs>Sutton

without question

Tubbs>Sutton

Cosign

Tubbs>Sutton

I agree. He was painted by the ok media as some great patron of the game. He’s morally bankrupt, he’s a cheater and a drunk. Going to San Fran just to get to 800 wins was bush league.

Yes off the court should matter, especially when it involves drunk driving and pissing on a middle school

Tubbs>Sutton
+1

Tubbs>Sutton

Knight did shoot someone. Knight is a disgusting piece of garbage. Eddie is a loser but at least he isn’t psychotic.

Obviously Tubbs is better than Sutton!

Knight did shoot someone. Knight is a disgusting piece of garbage. Eddie is a loser but at least he isn’t psychotic.

Yup...splitting hairs between the two when talking about off-the-court behavior. Their transgressions may not be the same, but neither one has anything to brag about. Since there is no realistic argument to keep Eddie out of the HOF based his on-the-court accomplishments, it comes down to his cheating at Kentucky. That's fair game, but personally, I'm happy for the guy and the OSU family. Bedlam hasn't been close to the same since he and Kelvin left. By the mid 2000s, you could make a reasonable argument that Bedlam hoops was one of the 10 best rivalries in college basketball...no one will make that argument now.

Back