Jaguars run comes to an end

bluesooner17

Reaction score
By Michael Kinney

Transcript Sports Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY — During No. 1 Westmoore’s 8-0 run to start the season, a variety of teams have vied for a chance at an upset. But each time, the Jags had an overwhelming answer for them.

However, No. 3 Sapulpa brought a different mindset into its matchup with Westmoore. Led by a backcourt of Oklahoma Sooners signee Chelsea Dungee and Brice Calip, they like to grind teams down with a physical style of play.

For one night at least, that seemed to be the Jaguars kryptonite as they fell to the Chieftains 65-58 in the finals of the Lady Jaguar Classic Saturday at Westmoore High. “We played hard,” Westmoore coach Andrea Guziec said. “I can’t ask for more effort. Just maybe a little smarter plays at some times. A little bit more patience sometimes.”

The loss was the first of the season for the Jaguars (8-1). But they had their chances to steal a victory late.

With two minutes left in the fourth quarter, Jessi Murcer was fouled on a drive and hit a pair of free throws. Murcer knocked down a jumper to close deficit to 58-57.

However, back to back baskets by Sapulpa (9-0) pushed the lead to 62-57 with 52 seconds left.

Sydney Chastain was fouled by Isabella Bacon. She hit 1 of 2 from the line to get the Jags to within four. However, Dungee went to the charity stripe and made both attempts with 21 seconds left to put the game away.

Dungee led all scorers with 28 points. That includes 10 in the fourth quarter. Calip posted 18 points and was named the tourney MVP.

“Key was trying to stop their momentum,” Dungee said. “Really, just focusing on not letting them shoot as many threes because that’s their go-to game. I think we did a pretty good job of that. Just attacking on offense, drawing fouls and hitting free throws.”

Murcer scored 18 points to pace the Jaguars. Kaci Richardson scored 14 and Gomez was limited to 13 points.

“It’s definitely a tough loss coming off of our streak,” Chastain said. “But it’s just more motivation for us to get in the gym and work on the things we have to work on. We have to work on motion. We know people are going to try and shut down our shooters. So we have to find other ways to work our offense.”

Westmoore was unable to get off to its normal first quarter start. Their 3-pointers weren’t falling and they were unable to get easy drives to the lane as the Chieftains closed down the paint.

Richardson started the game off guarding Dungee while Chastain took the challenge of stopping Calip. The two had accounted for 50 points in Sapulpa’s semifinal win Friday.

Despite the physical play of both Richardson and Chastain, the Sapulpa backcourt turned it on in the second quarter. Chastain continued to make difficult shots in the paint with players hanging on her while Calip relied on her midrange jumper.

At the same time, Westmoore’s offense was out of sorts. Whether it was Sapulpa’s defense or just bad offense, the Jaguars looked lost and trailed 33-27 at halftime.

“Since we are so undersized, we have no 6-footers, we have toplay physical and outwork everybody,” Calip said. “I think they are not used to aggressive defense.

Trailing by 9 points to start the fourth quarter, the Jaguars forced three consecutive turnovers as Gomez hit five quick points and Richardson dropped in a layup. Murcer’s jumper tied the contest at 49-49.

“That’s the biggest thing I learned from this game, we’re not just going to lay down and take it,” Guziec said. “We’re going to keep fighting and make sure we are going to give ourselves every chance we can.”

Final 1 2 3 4 Total
Westmoore 12 15 14 17 58
Sapulpa 18 15 16 16 65

Scoring Summary
Sapulpa: Dungee 28, Calip 18, Bacon 9, Mades 6, Kamies 4
Westmoore: Murcer 18, Richardson 14, Gomez 13, Chastain 6, Outon 4, Smith 3

Has Brice Calip signed with a college?

Not that I know of. I know OSU and Arkansas were interested but I don't know who has offered her.

Thanks, it's starting to look like the in state talent is going up, could be at an all time high... Can't remember the last time 3 Oklahoma kids were ranked in the top 60 in consecutive years.

Back