Jeff Capel addresses future >>> Tulsa World

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#10881
Capel addresses future
3/8/2011 5:17:42 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- We finally have something on the record regarding the sudden Jeff Capel Watch.

Thankfully, it's from Capel himself.

After Oklahoma's Big 12 tournament practice at the Sprint Center this afternoon, Capel was asked to address the speculation he was in trouble.

"I don't get into the speculation stuff," he said. "If I'm going through it, I'm going through it. But it's nothing I'm really concerned about."

Asked specifically about today's SoonerScoop.com report that he and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione weren't communicating, Capel said: "Joe and I talk consistently and pretty regularly. We don't talk about if I'm secure or this or that…

"We talk about next year and what we have to do going forward. Those have been our conversations. There's never been anything about what someone has reported."

Asked if he feels OU's future is bright, Capel said: "I don't feel that way, I know it. I live it. That's why I don't deal with speculation. I'm there every day. I know what's going on. I know the progress that this group has made. I know the two new guys we'll have next year, and I know we're going to add some more. I more we're making the right progress.

"It's not just that I feel it. I know we are."

Nothing official from Castiglione. He undoubtedly will be asked to address Capel's after the Sooners' final game here in Kansas City.

In the meantime, a source close to Castiglione says the AD remains undecided on Capel's future.

Re: ***Capel addresses his future to the Tulsa World***

Oh noz! He's still around! Everyone run!

Hard to say, but that seems like a huge change in from last year's press conference when he talked about how he knows what kind of relationship he has with his boss and other people don't, etc. and actually seemed pretty annoyed the questions were even being asked.

"If I'm going through it, I'm going through it" does not exactly sound like a guy who is confident he's going to keep his job.

"If I'm going through it, I'm going through it" does not exactly sound like a guy who is confident he's going to keep his job.

But then he says it's nothing he's really concerned about. What do you make of that?

crying_baby.jpg

Capel doesn't like babies. Reason #2,133 to fire him.

But then he says it's nothing he's really concerned about. What do you make of that?

I don't really read anything into it I guess. Just a guy trying to downplay speculation and focus on the next game.

Obviously it is all speculation and reading between the lines.

We talked to a source close to the Capel camp within the last hour who said that they (the staff) feel good about things regarding their status for being at OU next season.

Obviously, take it for what it's worth as there still seems to be a lot of smoke out there, especially with Castiglione declining to comment.

We talked to a source close to the Capel camp within the last hour who said that they (the staff) feel good about things regarding their status for being at OU next season.

Obviously, take it for what it's worth as there still seems to be a lot of smoke out there, especially with Castiglione declining to comment.

This is frustrating...two scenarios:

1) Capel is gone and Joe knows it

2) Capel isnt going anywere, and Joe is doing a terrible terrible job as our AD....if he infact does plan on keeping him, he needs to have a press conference now and say so!! This is for sure going to hurt us on the recruiting trail if capel stays

I get tired of hearing capel say "there is alot of negative recruiting going on" and yet we may hear that again due to these rumors if capel stays

If I got a few million after losing my job and knew I could use my dad and connections to coach k to make a lot of money as an assistant, NBA scout, or something like that I wouldnt be too worried about losing my job either.

Capel's back next season.

This is frustrating...two scenarios:

1) Capel is gone and Joe knows it

2) Capel isnt going anywere, and Joe is doing a terrible terrible job as our AD....if he infact does plan on keeping him, he needs to have a press conference now and say so!! This is for sure going to hurt us on the recruiting trail if capel stays

I get tired of hearing capel say "there is alot of negative recruiting going on" and yet we may hear that again due to these rumors if capel stays

Just taking a guess, I'd go No. 1 or a version of it. If this situation wasn't "in limbo" and Capel was coming back next year then I have to believe Joe C. would've come out and said so Saturday when asked. To not comment just opens up the door for speculation. He's either made the decision and is waiting until the season ends or he is still trying to figure it out.

Schools are already negatively recruiting against OU re: the Gallon situation, and now you've probably got Travis Ford sending newspaper clippings to Guerrero and Jurick, where the AD is declining to comment about the coach's future who is recruiting them.

Then again Joe C. always seems to operate in stealth mode so who the hell really knows, but I still think his silence is the key here.

Re: *******Capel addresses his future to the Tulsa World*******

Asked if he feels OU's future is bright, Capel said: "I don't feel that way, I know it. I live it. That's why I don't deal with speculation. I'm there every day. I know what's going on. I know the progress that this group has made. I know the two new guys we'll have next year, and I know we're going to add some more. I more we're making the right progress.

"It's not just that I feel it. I know we are."

Man, Capel is THE MASTER at coach speak. He just keeps churning this BS out.

Before this season:

"I think because of how we performed last season, our returning players have a hunger. They have a desire to not let that happen again. I think maybe they've worked harder (since the end of last season) than they've ever worked."

Capel said he hopes that self-realization and the resulting disciplined off-season approach will yield in-season success.

"There's been a different energy around here and I'm excited about it," said Capel. "I'm excited to see what we become. We still have expectations. We want to become the best team we can be -- hopefully vie for one of the top spots in the Big 12 and make the NCAA Tournament."

Also before this season:

I think overall, perhaps we'll have a little more quality depth (than last season). But mainly, I think we'll have guys totally immersed in OU -- with both feet in -- and what we want to accomplish."

Bla bla bla... he was talking NCAA Tournament before this season, and he knew damn well they werent gonna be any good. He is already pimping up Osby and Goff for next season, and he "knows" the progress that is being made.

That article didn't tell us anything.

Asked if he feels OU's future is bright, Capel said: "I don't feel that way, I know it. I live it.

And I'm sorry, but what a bunch of crap. A week ago he was disappointed in every aspect of a game we played against a terrible TT team, and now he's THAT confident in the future? Stop kidding yourself Jeff.

thebigabd said:
Man, Capel is THE MASTER at coach speak. He just keeps churning this BS out.

I guess I just don't understand why coachspeak bothers you so much. Yes it is boring and complete BS and more quoteable guys make for much more interesting copy, but what do you expect him to say? Almost all coaches do it. It is not a Capel-specific thing.

edit: I also don't think he is a master at it. Far from it

but what do you expect him to say? Almost all coaches do it.

A little honesty?

Not that it'd change my mind, but it'd be nice to hear him say that he knows not making the Dance won't cut it at OU, that he knows he isn't getting the job done, and that he has a plan. Something. He acts like there is no problem, and that he's "got this under control."

Sorry Jeff, from what I've seen, you don't.

I guess I just don't understand why coachspeak bothers you so much. Yes it is boring and complete BS and more quoteable guys make for much more interesting copy, but what do you expect him to say? Almost all coaches do it. It is not a Capel-specific thing.

This. Just another way for abd to bash Capel.

A little honesty?

Not that it'd change my mind, but it'd be nice to hear him say that he knows not making the Dance won't cut it at OU, that he knows he isn't getting the job done, and that he has a plan. Something. He acts like there is no problem, and that he's "got this under control."

Sorry Jeff, from what I've seen, you don't.

This is really ridiculous. Do you seriously think he doesn't know all of that already? Good Lord.

This is really ridiculous. Do you seriously think he doesn't know all of that already? Good Lord.

Doesn't matter what he knows. If he knows it, then stop feeding me BS through the press.

This. Just another way for abd to bash Capel.

Well, I do not agree with that either really. I do not think thebigabd is being disingenuous, I just think he is wrong.

Perhaps it is just my sunny disposition, but I try to see the good in all of our posters from all across the spectrum. From FaithfulSooner to Big Old Booger to bgrch to thebigabd. I think we should all try to be more positive people and see the good in all of us. I do not like to assume the worst in people, and the personal wars on this board are easily the least interesting thing about it.

Doesn't matter what he knows. If he knows it, then stop feeding me BS through the press.

Geez. Some of you are need a grip on reality.

Back