John R. Wooden Award on ESPN2 | Friday, April 8 at 7 pm (CDT)

We have two Wooden's. Time to make a Wooden Garden to match our Heisman Garden?

Couldn't happen to a better person. Thank you buddy for representing OU in a first class manner, on and off the court.

Big 12 reppin with Tubby Smith and Georges Niang in addition to Buddy.

To those posters among us who were pulling for Valentine, better luck next time! He's a terrific player and you have every reason to be proud of him. Hold your head up!

:ez-laugh: That was good, Skyvue. I'm still at a loss as to how much support Denzel Valentine got on this board for that award. To each his own I guess.

Congrats, Buddy! :dance005: Well deserved! :woot

I'm stuck at work late, but I streamed the last 10 minutes of the program and saw Buddy win it. I got chills, I have to admit.

Buddy represented well, of course. He always does. Special player, special person, all-time great Sooner.

And he looked very dapper in his suit. A bit different then seeing him in his customary uniform.

Last edited:
Buddy certainly deserved this. Congrats to him personally and his teammates. :OU-logo:

To those posters among us who were pulling for Valentine, better luck next time! He's a terrific player and you have every reason to be proud of him. Hold your head up!

Has that poster offered (posted) congratulations to Buddy, or to OU for this award?

Does a real OU fan (that constantly posts to an OU message board) not share in the success earned by OU teams and student-athletes?

Curious.

Here it is the morning after Buddy won the award, and I still feel the vicarious happiness of an OU fan. I am SO happy for Buddy (and Kruger and the team), that I am compelled to add my congratulations to this message board conversation.

I closely watch the replay of the award ceremony, and I am struck by the look on faces of Lon Kruger and Buddy's mom. It is the look of joy and wonder. The "look of wonder" must come from their memories of where Buddy started, and how far he has come. With those memories come amazement at what Buddy's hard work and determination has accomplished.

I am still smiling, but my smile cannot match the wonderful smile that Buddy has; the one that fills a room with sunshine. A smile I will never forget.

Good post, I agree. Even though all are excited about the new talent, Buddy will be missed, for many reasons...

A peculiar thing about Buddy's most prestigious award is that during the awards ceremony he never picked up the award bestowed upon him. Wonder if that's just the person Buddy is, and if so, good for him.

Has that poster offered (posted) congratulations to Buddy, or to OU for this award?

It's now 6:45 p.m. Saturday and I still haven't seen anything from that OU "fan" (or his entourage). :D

I didn't get to watch the awards ceremony, and I've been away from my computer, so unable to post until now. But my reaction to Buddy being named as the Wooden winner was the same as almost every other Sooners fan. I was ecstatic -- still am. So proud of this young man and what he's meant to his teammates, coaches, fans, and even more important, his family.

God bless you, Buddy Hield.

I am still incredibly happy for Buddy and our program. It is awesome.

I have to say, there is a ridiculous amount of passive-aggressiveness in a thread that should be dedicated to celebrating Hield's tremendous accomplishment. I had to read through that other thread, if I did read the right one, to see what prompted all of this venom and -- I know I'll catch hell for this -- I never read anyone "rooting" for Valentine to win. I thought Hield deserved to be player of the year as most here did, but the notion that it should have been a runaway or no-contest or that Valentine had no argument is patently absurd.

I would expect most OU fans to believe Buddy should win, just as I would expect most MSU fans to believe Valentine should win. And there's an argument for him. I'm not on that side, as I said, but I also wasn't that surprised that he won. I'm glad that Hield won most of the player of the year awards and, unlike some others, don't feel personally insulted that he didn't sweep them.

The point is that it's childish and ridiculous to create some sort of "us vs them" with other members of this group simply because they made an argument for Valentine to be player of the year. If anything, Valentine's great year (and it most certainly was great) helps to demonstrate how tremendous Buddy's was, since Buddy ended up winning most of the awards. Congrats to Buddy for winning the Wooden, the Naismith, and the Oscar Robertson awards and to Valentine for a tremendous season as well. He's a class act and a great basketball player.

Flame away.

The point is that it's childish and ridiculous to create some sort of "us vs them" with other members of this group simply because they made an argument for Valentine to be player of the year. If anything, Valentine's great year (and it most certainly was great) helps to demonstrate how tremendous Buddy's was, since Buddy ended up winning most of the awards. Congrats to Buddy for winning the Wooden, the Naismith, and the Oscar Robertson awards and to Valentine for a tremendous season as well. He's a class act and a great basketball player.

Flame away.

Take a deep breath. My post was meant as a joke. You'll note I called no one out by name.

I don't think you'll find a single poster here who isn't willing to acknowledge that Valentine is a terrific player who had a great season.

That said, the posters I was needling didn't make "an argument" for Valentine winning -- they made argument after argument after argument in his favor, with rarely a word (if that) in favor of Buddy winning.

Sorry, if you can't find a way, on an OU board, to give props to the Sooner player who was considered (and as it's panned out, rightfully so) the leading candidate for the POY awards, you're going to come in for some razzing. And razzing almost never proves fatal; it rarely even leaves a scar. So there's probably no need for the hand-wringing.

I do wonder if any of the handful of posters I was needling will ever get around to posting congratulations for Buddy. I'm sure they will. They've probably just been busy working on the final drafts of their condolence letters to Mr.. Valentine. As soon as they've got those stamped, sealed and in the mail, I'm confident this thread will be their first stop.

I have to say, there is a ridiculous amount of passive-aggressiveness in a thread that should be dedicated to celebrating Hield's tremendous accomplishment. I had to read through that other thread, if I did read the right one, to see what prompted all of this venom and -- I know I'll catch hell for this -- I never read anyone "rooting" for Valentine to win. I thought Hield deserved to be player of the year as most here did, but the notion that it should have been a runaway or no-contest or that Valentine had no argument is patently absurd.

I would expect most OU fans to believe Buddy should win, just as I would expect most MSU fans to believe Valentine should win. And there's an argument for him. I'm not on that side, as I said, but I also wasn't that surprised that he won. I'm glad that Hield won most of the player of the year awards and, unlike some others, don't feel personally insulted that he didn't sweep them.

Flame away.

You need to proceed with caution as it relates to some for if you don't properly lay out the utensils in the 'proper' order you will catch flack, indeed. There are times when unintended humor is the most humorous of all, so take it for what it's worth!

"Childish." "Ridiculous." "Venom." "Passive-aggressive."

:ez-laugh:

Back