Kyle Hardrick,Ray Willis,Orlando Allen

boomer0187

Reaction score
Will these guys ever in their careers at ou ever contribute meaningful minutes? Or are they just good practice players?

I think Orlando could at least contribute a little if he gets rid of some personal Demons and gets into better shape. Hardrick and Willis I kind of doubt will ever contribute very much.

Allen has no chance at this point. Willis got some playing time earlier this year and couldn't defend well enough. Hardrick probably shouldn't have been offered to OU.

I think Willis can develop into a solid player. He's a very gifted scorer.

Have any of us ever seen Hardrick play? How do we know he is not worthy of the scholarship?

Also, never underestimate the value of players that get no playing time, yet show up to contest the other players in practice,

Have any of us ever seen Hardrick play? How do we know he is not worthy of the scholarship?

Also, never underestimate the value of players that get no playing time, yet show up to contest the other players in practice,

honestly i think that is a load of crap.. we should not have players on scholarship that are just there to help contest players in practice thats what walk-ons are for.. if someone is on schollie they have to be good enough to see the floor.. willis, allen, hardrick need to transfer imo..

I have a feeling Big O will see some playing time. The others I have no clue. He is one of the hardest working players in practice.

As much as ou has struggled and as much as Capel has experimented with the lineup, it is very telling that Hardrick doesn't get to play. He also didn't redshirt the kid. The fact that Capel didn't redshirt him means taht he didn't want to waste his redshirt year if he transfered.

If you look at not only KU and UT, but Baylor, KState, A&M, and Mizzou, the days of playing 7-8 men in college basketball are over if you want to be a good team. I don't think Capel intended on a small rotation, but it became inevitable. If Willis and Allen were able to play 5 to 10 minutes, that would be a huge plus for this team, but they aren't.

Last edited:
I think Orlando could at least contribute a little if he gets rid of some personal Demons and gets into better shape. Hardrick and Willis I kind of doubt will ever contribute very much.

What kind of demons does this guy have? Lots of folks on this board talk about how hard he works in practice. I just dont' get it. We could really use him to spell Wright and Gallon. It floors me he can't contribute 5 mins a game

Yes, multiple times.

Without a doubt he shouldn't be on scholarship. As DM said, he isn't being red-shirted which says Capel is expecting him to transfer at some point or to just get his four years over with. Didn't Hardrick have some grade issues coming out of HS? Is he a borderline qualifier? If so, what a wasted scholly.

Been hearing that excuse for a LONG time, how much longer can it be cause his career is almost over. Hardrick should have been a walk on for sure, Capel will recruit over him and consistently have more talent at that position. Willis is in the same boat.

I'm not sure why Willis not being able to defend has anything to do with his playing time. Until the last few games nobody on this team could defend.

Hardrick was offered when he was a 6'8 freshmen in high school. Projected to be a 7'0 guy out of high school, but he still is 6'8. Willis was signed on the recommendation of Coach Betts, the ex coach at South Carolina State. And that is the exact level Willis needs to be playing at. We need schollies to be used on contributors. Walkons can be your practice players. Allen can play and help if he gets everything in order.

I would like to see what Ray could do at the C-USA, Mountain West, and WAC level. I just don't see him getting a chance to play much at OU anymore.

You would think 6'7'' guard, good shooter, good athlete, etc... Why doesnt he play? But there is something there and I would hate to see a talented kid like Ray never get to play.

I always thought walk-ons as practice players was incredibly dumb. I wouldn't have a single walk on. Why adapt to a level of competition that will be substantially less than what you see at game time. The better the people you practice against, the better you play in real games.

Ideally, you want backups that could start for many other programs and are killing it practice to move into playing time. That's how you learn to play with more effort.

There are substantial truisms established around this program that are just flat out wrong.

Last edited:
honestly i think that is a load of crap.. we should not have players on scholarship that are just there to help contest players in practice thats what walk-ons are for.. if someone is on schollie they have to be good enough to see the floor.. willis, allen, hardrick need to transfer imo..

Its an inexact science. Ryan Wright was highly recruited by UCLA. Longar couldn't walk and chew gum as a freshman. You offer kids you think can play if they work hard. But yes maybe you shouldn't offer when they are 15 yrs old.

Its an inexact science. Ryan Wright was highly recruited by UCLA. Longar couldn't walk and chew gum as a freshman. You offer kids you think can play if they work hard. But yes maybe you shouldn't offer when they are 15 yrs old.

Longar was a top 100 guy and a rare recruit that we beat KU on head to head. His issues was he didn't have alot of basketball experience.

I would like to see what Ray could do at the C-USA, Mountain West, and WAC level. I just don't see him getting a chance to play much at OU anymore.

You would think 6'7'' guard, good shooter, good athlete, etc... Why doesnt he play? But there is something there and I would hate to see a talented kid like Ray never get to play

Kinda suprising that you would say this being that you champion mid major schools. Fact is that Ray would probably have the same issues at TU he would at OU. The biggest thing about Ray is he hasn't gotten better since high school. If you look at other players, they've expanded their game since high school. Ray still has no dribble drive games, is still very skinny, still has a bad shooting form, and still is laterally slow. Compare that to Cade Davis or Tony Crocker, guys that we've seen show signs of improvement by this time in their sophomore year. If Ray were at a mid major, he'd probably see some time at the four which would help. He needs court time to improve though. I would like to see the Ray that we saw at Gonzaga and the game afterwards.

Back