Kyle Hardrick: What do you think?

I don't know the answer to your question, Gutter, but that is not an uncommon occurrence these days. I'm proud that Coach Capel stayed the course with Kyle despite his mediocre performance the past couple of years. Hopefully it will pay dividends on the court as well as in demonstrating that our coaches will remain true to the commitments they make.

I'm not sure what to say about Kyle as a player. He went from a top 25 recruit three years ago to well out of the top 100 following his injury. By all accounts he is a good kid who works hard, so maybe he will prove the so-called experts wrong in time. As you said, every team needs role players.

Lets hope so

Terrell Harris had 2 points a few years ago in the Faith 7 game and he was a pretty good player in the Big 12. And he was benched the last part of that game because he looked like crap.

I heard a scout one time say that he hardly ever downgraded a player because of an All-Star game. He would only move players up from performance and not down in that type of a game because of it is an All-Star game and not a "real" game.

If he has trouble impressing against high school kids, I'm concerned about him against D-1 talent.

Terrell Harris had 2 points a few years ago in the Faith 7 game and he was a pretty good player in the Big 12. And he was benched the last part of that game because he looked like crap.

I heard a scout one time say that he hardly ever downgraded a player because of an All-Star game. He would only move players up from performance and not down in that type of a game because of it is an All-Star game and not a "real" game.

Harris was particularly athletic, Hardrick is not. It is also true that we shouldn't be down on him just because an All-Star game, which does not fit his strengths.

However, Hardrick's stock has decreased rapidly the past few years...injuries aside, I just don't feel he has the athleticism to compete against Division I talent like Norm suggested.

Love that the kid wanted to be a Sooner, but IMO they could have gotten a lot better player with that scholly...He isnt even close to dominant at the High School level, what makes anyone think he will even be adequate at the Major D1 level?

Is it out of the question that he could become a Johnny Gilbert type contributor? You know, energy off the bench with ability to rebound and block shots while not particularly being a threat to score? I've never seen the kid play personally, but am hopeful he could be that type of player. Plus, he'll add interior practice depth that could be valuable AND i've heard he's a good student which could be valuablein terms of team GPA and graduation rates if he works hard toward his degree.

Agree with the earlier poster who said we can't have 13 all-stars.

Johnny Gilbert was actually a pretty bigtime recruit

I was always taught if I don't have anything nice to say, to not say anything at all.

Is it out of the question that he could become a Johnny Gilbert type contributor? You know, energy off the bench with ability to rebound and block shots while not particularly being a threat to score? I've never seen the kid play personally, but am hopeful he could be that type of player. Plus, he'll add interior practice depth that could be valuable AND i've heard he's a good student which could be valuablein terms of team GPA and graduation rates if he works hard toward his degree.

Agree with the earlier poster who said we can't have 13 all-stars.

No, Johnny is hands down a better athlete.

I hope he can be a Joseph type player. He just isn't that strong yet.

Hopefully in his last two years he can give OU some minutes off the bench and give them a few fouls t ouse on good teams big guys.

Harris was particularly athletic, Hardrick is not. It is also true that we shouldn't be down on him just because an All-Star game, which does not fit his strengths.

However, Hardrick's stock has decreased rapidly the past few years...injuries aside, I just don't feel he has the athleticism to compete against Division I talent like Norm suggested.

Agree.

I have seen Kyle play many, many times, and have in the past posted my thoughts on his ability to contribute. The one (and only) area where he could possibly contribute is....

....the fact that he is buds with Ray McCallum, Jr.

We don't need all 13 to be all-stars. I will take a kid that loves the program and is from the local area. I respect Capel for honoring Kyle's commitment.

We don't need all 13 to be all-stars. I will take a kid that loves the program and is from the local area. I respect Capel for honoring Kyle's commitment.

thank you. its obvious Kyle likely will have trouble competing early on but hes a local kid who committed early and we should still support him. Lets hope he works his butt off and is able to make an impact in year 3 and 4

Back