Kyle Hardrick: What do you think?

thebigabd

Reaction score
At one time he was a highly rated recruit, a few years later I am not sure he would have the same offers on the table he once had. Part of me wants to never bring it up out of respect for Kyle, but then the other part of me says this is a message board and we talk about crap like this. :)

He had a very low profile high school career after his injury (and after he didnt grow or get much better), and apparently didnt do anything worth mention in the Faith 7 game last night.

Is he Beau Gerber with a scholarship? Will he be a scholarship player for 4 years? Do you ever see him contributing meaningful minutes?

I'm like you Big it's kind of a touchy situation since he hasn't even played a game but I will be surprised if he ever contributes a whole lot minutes wise at OU. Now that being said he can still be a valuable part of the team and a good practice/team guy. You can't have 13 all stars.
He's an Oklahoma kid and by all reports a good kid and he does have size so I take those kids. It's good to keep instate kids home.

He's got alot of work to do. He doesn't neccessarily have to be a scorer though. If he's a worker on the boards, that will be good enough.

I like Kyle Hardrick. I'm glad he WANTS to be a Sooner. I think he will be a very valuable player at Oklahoma the next 4-5 years. I'm glad that he will be coming to OU.

Glad he wants to be a Sooner and is getting an opportunity to fulfill his dream...

...but realistically I just don't see him getting much burn in an OU uniform. Now, is it out of the question for him to work hard and improve his game to earn minutes? Absolutely not, but the guy has battled injuries throughout high school and has barely developed up to this point. I don't think anyone can honestly say that if Hardrick was still available during his senior year we would have offered him. Also, Capel's recruiting is only going to further deter Hardrick from getting on the floor.

This is is all just my opinion and hope it doesn't ruffle any feathers. Hopefully, Kyle proves me wrong in the long run.

I think the bottom is you can never go wrong having a kid like Kyle Hardrick on your roster. He is a great asset to your team on and off the court and will represent OU in a positive way. If he works hard he can be a contributor his last 2 years.

i would not be surprised if he is all ready as "good" as ryan wright...

I like Kyle Hardrick. I'm glad he WANTS to be a Sooner. I think he will be a very valuable player at Oklahoma the next 4-5 years. I'm glad that he will be coming to OU.

Oh yea I wanted to be a sooner too. Good lord folks get a clue.

Oh yea I wanted to be a sooner too. Good lord folks get a clue.

Having a player who wants to be part of the team and is willing to contribute whatever he can is always better than having a player who may be more talented but doesn't care about his team. Not sure where you're pulling the snippy attitude from this time...

He had a very low profile high school career after his injury (and after he didnt grow or get much better), and apparently didnt do anything worth mention in the Faith 7 game last night.

I think he pulled down quite a few boards in the game. FWIW.

Let's give the guy a chance. He committed a long time ago and stuck with his commitment even before his national ratings fell. He also dealt with a torn ACL I believe (HS players that have these do not have the same rehab resources as our guys do and often do not come back to 100% until much later). Obviously he wants to be a Sooner. He also played on AAU and HS teams where he was not the focal point of the offense. If he could even turn into a quality post-sub for 2-3 years as an instate recruit that would be more than enough.

:clap :eek:ldwt356:

He probably can help us. Every team needs role players. Hopefully he's a strong body who can come off the bench, grab some rebounds, bang his body, score a few points and not complain.

Last edited:
What coach was it a few years ago that pulled a long-time schollie offer from a Texas kid after it he averaged, like, 8 points a game his senior year. Was that Bob Knight?

Seriously, has it been established that Hardrick didn't score in the Faith 7? I never saw a box in either the DOK or the Shawnee News-Star.

It just shows that sometimes its not the best idea to offer a kid so early, before he fully develops his game. Im sure there are tons of kids that would love to be a sooner but the truth is that the scholarship could have been given to a player that would of actually contributed more.

Look on the brightside, we dont have to worry about Kyle getting kicked off the team for having a big head..

0 points, 7 rebounds?
That is what I heard, I know I saw the 7 rebounds mentioned in an article and although I wouldn't take it as a fact Mark Rodger said he didn't score any on the animal today.

What coach was it a few years ago that pulled a long-time schollie offer from a Texas kid after it he averaged, like, 8 points a game his senior year. Was that Bob Knight?

I don't know the answer to your question, Gutter, but that is not an uncommon occurrence these days. I'm proud that Coach Capel stayed the course with Kyle despite his mediocre performance the past couple of years. Hopefully it will pay dividends on the court as well as in demonstrating that our coaches will remain true to the commitments they make.

I'm not sure what to say about Kyle as a player. He went from a top 25 recruit three years ago to well out of the top 100 following his injury. By all accounts he is a good kid who works hard, so maybe he will prove the so-called experts wrong in time. As you said, every team needs role players.

Back