Latest bracketology.....

So an 11 or 12 seed and a probable first round loss in the tournament? Is that what everyone envisioned at the beginning of the year?

I thought we'd be a little worse this year after losing so much, then better next year after only losing Doo (which is a big loss).

So an 11 or 12 seed and a probable first round loss in the tournament? Is that what everyone envisioned at the beginning of the year?

I thought we'd be much better. A senior and 2 juniors starting. An improved JB. And a top 50 pg added to the mix. I thought we had a shot to be a top 20 type team.

Without question. 10 games left. Predict the final 10:

@Texas Tech -- LOSS
West Virginia -- LOSS
Iowa State -- WIN
@Kansas -- LOSS
Baylor -- WIN
@OSU -- WIN
Texas Tech -- WIN
@West Virginia -- LOSS
Texas -- WIN
@TCU -- WIN

6-4 the rest of the way, but with wins over Texas Tech and Baylor.

Not sure I see us beating Baylor. KU and Baylor are a cut above the rest of the conference...imo. I think WV is beatable....especially in Norman. WV doesn't really shoot the ball all that well and they've had issues scoring (like we have) at times.

The key to that list for me is not only taking care of your home court (outside of Baylor), but also winning at OSU and TCU. Really need those two road wins. I am optimistic about winning in Stillwater and Ft. Worth much more so that winning in Manhattan and Ames....it's been years since we've played well at those two sites. While we have had fairly good success recently in Stillwater and Ft. Worth.

Not sure I see us beating Baylor. KU and Baylor are a cut above the rest of the conference...imo. I think WV is beatable....especially in Norman. WV doesn't really shoot the ball all that well and they've had issues scoring (like we have) at times.

The key to that list for me is not only taking care of your home court (outside of Baylor), but also winning at OSU and TCU. Really need those two road wins. I am optimistic about winning in Stillwater and Ft. Worth much more so that winning in Manhattan and Ames....it's been years since we've played well at those two sites. While we have had fairly good success recently in Stillwater and Ft. Worth.

Shouldve beat Baylor at Baylor! I still blame Refs ( I know we arent suppose to)

Shouldve beat Baylor at Baylor! I still blame Refs ( I know we arent suppose to)

I see a Baylor win at home.. It's a good matchup for OU.

Anytime OU runs into a 4 guard team it will be a close game unless they shoot the lights out. OU has a clear advantage with Doo/Manek over smaller teams like Baylor. They absolutely could have won that game in Waco.

In turn, WVU is a predictably bad matchup for OU.... Tshiebwe and Culver are going to eat OU's lunch. OU will need a bunch of 3's but WVU also plays great defense.

It will be hard finding 68 teams this year....probably the poorest year I have ever seen in College basketball in terms of quality teams and play

It will be hard finding 68 teams this year....probably the poorest year I have ever seen in College basketball in terms of quality teams and play

Disagree. So much Parity this year. 4/5 stars going to non blue bloods.

I see a Baylor win at home.. It's a good matchup for OU.

Serious question, if Baylor is such a good matchup for OU and WVU is such a Bad matchup for OU then what is KSU? Ou split with KSU but KSU easily could have beat OU twice and KSU throttled WVU once and played them tough for most of the game at WVU.

I personally dont get the ‘horrific’ matchup for OU against WVU? Yes they have two bruisers inside but those guys will be stretched defensively against OU. It remains to be seen if the duo they have down low can guard OU on the other end. Plus the guys they sub in for those two leave a lot to be desired on both ends.

IF OU matches WVUs intensity, I feel like it’ll be a grind to the end in both games.

With all the flack the guards for OU have received on this board, you would think Baylor is actually a bad matchup for OU give they have 4 athletic guards on the court most of the time.

Serious question, if Baylor is such a good matchup for OU and WVU is such a Bad matchup for OU then what is KSU? Ou split with KSU but KSU easily could have beat OU twice and KSU throttled WVU once and played them tough for most of the game at WVU.

I personally dont get the ‘horrific’ matchup for OU against WVU? Yes they have two bruisers inside but those guys will be stretched defensively against OU. It remains to be seen if the duo they have down low can guard OU on the other end. Plus the guys they sub in for those two leave a lot to be desired on both ends.

IF OU matches WVUs intensity, I feel like it’ll be a grind to the end in both games.

With all the flack the guards for OU have received on this board, you would think Baylor is actually a bad matchup for OU give they have 4 athletic guards on the court most of the time.

WV is really good inside, but they don't have quite as good of guard play as we have been accustomed to (Javon Carter, Jaysean Paige, etc.). I guess Carter finally ran out of eligibility when he turned 35.

They are excellent at defending both the 2 and the 3....while continuously beating the crap out of you. They are #1 in the country in offensive rebound %, but surprisingly, they are just outside the top half of the country in giving up offensive boards. They also turn the ball over a lot. They are the textbook definition of a "volume team". They play fairly fast, shoot it a lot (not particularly well), and grab a bunch of boards.

This is your typical typical Huggins prison-rec league team. Not a good matchup for us, but not as bad of a matchup as they have been in recent years.

KSU easily could have beat OU twice

OU could easily have beaten them twice too. That wasn't even OU's D game, and they still put a scare into them late. Had OU played even their B game, they could have won it.

Ifs and buts, of course, but so was your hypothetical.

If I live to be 100, I'll never understand OU's penchant for laying a rotten egg every stinking year in Manhattan.

OU could easily have beaten them twice too. That wasn't even OU's D game, and they still put a scare into them late. Had OU played even their B game, they could have won it.

I don’t disagree with this at all and my intention wasn’t that KSU should have won both but could have. Part of the argument is that KSU isn’t quite as bad as their record shows. But you are correct (at least in my opinion) that had OU shown up at all and they could have won the game in Manhattan. As others have pointed out though, it’s not an easy win at Manhattan. Case in point, Baylor is a 6.5 point favorite tonight in Manhattan. Let that sink in for a moment....The #1 team in the country is a 6.5 (just over two possesions) point favorite at 9-12 Kansas state...

I get it that people hate when OU comes out and lays an egg, I do as well especially in the effort department. But those out there claiming that OU doesn’t have a shot against any team in this league is laughable to me. OU can beat anyone in this conference on any given night but also lose to any team in this conference on any given night. As some have pointed out, that speaks to the parity in this league along with in college basketball.

Which teams out there are unbeatable? UNC has a losing record. Duke lost to SFA. Kentucky lost to Evansville....EVANSVILLE who is 9-14 and currently 0-10 in the Missouri Valley Conference.

NO ONE out there this year is unbeatable.

Here’s hoping that OU continues to toughen up and shows up with the attitude that they’ll do what it takes to win instead of “hoping” to win like it looks at times against the “better” teams in this conference. They have plenty of winnable games left on the schedule and others that could go either way. Lets hope they finish the regular season on a good note and go into march ready to dance!

I agree with everything you said. I've been touting the increased parity in college basketball. You can go pretty far down the list of teams without finding a truly bad team, a team that couldn't pull off an impressive upset on a given night. I don't think there's a truly bad team in the Big 12. oswho comes the closest, but they've notched some impressive wins, too.

I don’t disagree with this at all and my intention wasn’t that KSU should have won both but could have. Part of the argument is that KSU isn’t quite as bad as their record shows. But you are correct (at least in my opinion) that had OU shown up at all and they could have won the game in Manhattan. As others have pointed out though, it’s not an easy win at Manhattan. Case in point, Baylor is a 6.5 point favorite tonight in Manhattan. Let that sink in for a moment....The #1 team in the country is a 6.5 (just over two possesions) point favorite at 9-12 Kansas state...

I get it that people hate when OU comes out and lays an egg, I do as well especially in the effort department. But those out there claiming that OU doesn’t have a shot against any team in this league is laughable to me. OU can beat anyone in this conference on any given night but also lose to any team in this conference on any given night. As some have pointed out, that speaks to the parity in this league along with in college basketball.

Which teams out there are unbeatable? UNC has a losing record. Duke lost to SFA. Kentucky lost to Evansville....EVANSVILLE who is 9-14 and currently 0-10 in the Missouri Valley Conference.

Here’s hoping that OU continues to toughen up and shows up with the attitude that they’ll do what it takes to win instead of “hoping” to win like it looks at times against the “better” teams in this conference. They have plenty of winnable games left on the schedule and others that could go either way. Lets hope they finish the regular season on a good note and go into march ready to dance!

Thanks for that post. Very nice.

. oswho comes the closest, but they've notched some impressive wins, too.

At this point I think they’ve lost their identity (whatever it was at the beginning of the year) and a lot of them now look to be playing for themselves than as a team. Which can make even decent/good teams look awful.

Funny enough, for the first time this year, I actually caught myself telling Lon to keep Doo on the bench for a stretch of the game Saturday because the ball movement was the best it had been all game when he wasn’t on the floor. The minute he came back into the game he came down took one dribble and took a shot and missed. I immediately was yelling to take him back out which of course didn’t happen :) It’s the same with Reaves. WHEN he plays for the team and with his teammates, he makes the team better. When he decides he needs to shoot (which everyone can see is coming) it’s BAD basketball. I feel that he actually has turned down a LOT of shots he SHOULD have been taking off of drives or quick passes from teammates just to try and drive or just to let a defender get in front of him to then dribble once and shoot over him (only half joking).

Back on topic....I think the teams like OSU and Texas are better (roster wise) than what they have been playing for most of this season but obviously a lot of that has to do with coaching as well.

I believe Baylor was an underdog when they played Florida.

I believe Baylor was an underdog when they played Florida.

Yep and dominated most of that game and of course they are tearing KSU a part to start the game lol 22-6 9 mins into the game. Thanks for helping me state my case KSU....lol

Without question. 10 games left. Predict the final 10:

@Texas Tech -- LOSS
West Virginia -- LOSS
Iowa State -- WIN
@Kansas -- LOSS
Baylor -- WIN
@OSU -- WIN
Texas Tech -- WIN
@West Virginia -- LOSS
Texas -- WIN
@TCU -- WIN

6-4 the rest of the way, but with wins over Texas Tech and Baylor.

Agree with all except beating Baylor. 9-9 sounds about right. That would put us probably against Tech in the 4-5 game in KC. Barring a win or two there we are looking at a 9 or 10 seed in the dance. Not ideal.

Yep and dominated most of that game and of course they are tearing KSU a part to start the game lol 22-6 9 mins into the game. Thanks for helping me state my case KSU....lol

KSU with a late 3 covers losing by 6 :)

KSU started both halves cold as ice from the field. They scored nine points in the first 10 minutes of the first half, and went scoreless for the first five minutes of the second half.

this is from todays Athletic bubble watch and IMHO is very accurate for this team

Oklahoma (14-7, 4-4; NET: 49, SOS: 52): A loss at Kansas State, a home win over OSU: Oklahoma continues to be the Platonic ideal of an average, unremarkable college basketball team. The Sooners don’t win games you don’t expect them to win, and they rarely lose games you don’t expect them to lose. They are neither offensively flowing nor defensively stout, nor are they bad on either end of the floor. They just … are. It’s honestly kind of impressive. Anyway, they’ll probably be a No. 10 seed.

Back