Lineup with Injuries

There has to be a way to get Maks a couple of open looks each game. Just have him stand in a corner. Penetrate (Javian/Oweh/Los) and kick.
Unfortunately, Oweh and Los miss a ton of layups, and Oweh isn't a good dribbler, so I doubt KU would feel much need to help off a shooter. And if he were that good a shooter, he presumably would have been playing already. McCullar and Harris are very good defenders, so they won't need much help even if we try that strategy.

We are hurting on D against KU anyway but no Hugley or limited Hugley is really bad news. I don’t care about his game in Lawrence. That doesn’t mean it will be or would have been the same thing this time. And we need the fouls spread among competent players if nothing else.

Same with Soares, he is desperately needed on both ends.

Either way it is very difficult for us to have a good game plan for Dickinson. Just about every other big 12 team has a bigger and stronger big for defending him, even though they are not offensive juggernauts. It will be a long day if he is catching the ball 3 feet from the basket. Helping in the wrong way is a recipe for trouble. We saw Adam’s kill us in Lawrence, especially in the first half. But a lot of that is just due to Dickinson’s presence.

KU has not been good at all on the road but I suspect there will be a lot of KU fans at this and not nearly the hostile environment they have faced in other arenas. Also not likely the same calls and not likely the same energy from us they have seen from other teams.

If Moser finds a way to win this with missing or limited players I will be very impressed. On the other hand those other two home losses are going to sting a lot more if we lose to both KU and Houston at home. @osu and Cincy are probably both must wins. Neither will be easy.

We are hurting on D against KU anyway but no Hugley or limited Hugley is really bad news. I don’t care about his game in Lawrence. That doesn’t mean it will be or would have been the same thing this time. And we need the fouls spread among competent players if nothing else.

Same with Soares, he is desperately needed on both ends.

Either way it is very difficult for us to have a good game plan for Dickinson. Just about every other big 12 team has a bigger and stronger big for defending him, even though they are not offensive juggernauts. It will be a long day if he is catching the ball 3 feet from the basket. Helping in the wrong way is a recipe for trouble. We saw Adam’s kill us in Lawrence, especially in the first half. But a lot of that is just due to Dickinson’s presence.

KU has not been good at all on the road but I suspect there will be a lot of KU fans at this and not nearly the hostile environment they have faced in other arenas. Also not likely the same calls and not likely the same energy from us they have seen from other teams.

If Moser finds a way to win this with missing or limited players I will be very impressed. On the other hand those other two home losses are going to sting a lot more if we lose to both KU and Houston at home. @osu and Cincy are probably both must wins. Neither will be easy.
I agree with everything here. I just want to see them come out with some fire and would love for some shots to fall.

Six days ago, the worst team in the league nearly beat us on our home floor playing without their second leading scorer, who is arguably their second best player. Losing Hugley and especially Soares is a blow, no doubt. But let’s keep in perspective that most teams suffer injuries throughout the course of a season. We have been incredibly lucky the past two or three years. This should not be a death blow, but again, that depends on our starters waking up and playing good ball.

Six days ago, the worst team in the league nearly beat us on our home floor playing without their second leading scorer, who is arguably their second best player. Losing Hugley and especially Soares is a blow, no doubt. But let’s keep in perspective that most teams suffer injuries throughout the course of a season. We have been incredibly lucky the past two or three years. This should not be a death blow, but again, that depends on our starters waking up and playing good ball.
Hey there’s alittle opitmisim! I like it

the difference being that bryce thompson is not a winning player .. Soares very much is ..

advanced stats show that BT is one of the worst (if not the worst) players that gets min on osu's team ..

the difference being that bryce thompson is not a winning player .. Soares very much is ..
Uh .. ok. Soares has never played in the NCAA tourney, so there’s that. But the point is, crap happens. We didn’t just lose an All American.

Uh .. ok. Soares has never played in the NCAA tourney, so there’s that. But the point is, crap happens. We didn’t just lose an All American.
advanced stats ... and most peoples eyes show that he has been one of if not the best player on the team ..

lol what a loser mentality
I’m just yanking your chain. However, you are routinely one of the most ignorant posters on this and every other OU board. Bounce is synonymous with ignorant poster.

advanced stats ... and most peoples eyes show that he has been one of if not the best player on the team ..
I fully agree, I really like Soares. But if we are as good as some think, we can overcome playing a game or two without him. I just would hate to see it become an excuse.

I fully agree, I really like Soares. But if we are as good as some think, we can overcome playing a game or two without him. I just would hate to see it become an excuse.
If Oweh, Uzan and JM have a good game and Godwin can stay out of foul trouble the team will be alright. If Northweather and Maks can just knock down a few shots that would be huge. There’s enough talent to overcome the loss of Soares and Hugley but it’ll be a tall task.

It seems not unreasonable for fans to be a little upset over the likely loss of two solid contributors entering a very key home game. Again, it's what fans do. How odd to be intent on jumping on every. single. possible. thing. one might call people out for.

It seems not unreasonable for fans to be a little upset over the likely loss of two solid contributors entering a very key home game. Again, it's what fans do. How odd to be intent on jumping on every. single. possible. thing. one might call people out for.
Maybe you should stop being so sensitive. And since I am obviously the person you’re referring to, quote me and directly respond. But more to the more point, where did I suggest it’s not ok to be a little upset they are ooh? I said that people need to keep it in perspective and not act like this is something that should destroy us if we are truly a good team.

Not even the most optimistic of fans thinks we are better than KU, and when you're playing a better team, you need help wherever you can get it. Soares has been one of our best players over the past month, so it doesn't make sense to downplay the importance of his availability. When we played in Lawrence, our backcourt actually outplayed theirs, but we got manhandled by their bigs. Losing two of our largest players is not a good sign.

Lol, it’s called reality. I’m a big OU fan and really despise ku. I’m also a realist. The chances are not good we win. Is there a chance? Sure.. always is but not Likely

Maybe you should stop being so sensitive. And since I am obviously the person you’re referring to, quote me and directly respond. But more to the more point, where did I suggest it’s not ok to be a little upset they are ooh? I said that people need to keep it in perspective and not act like this is something that should destroy us if we are truly a good team.
I don't know your definition of "good team" but only elite teams can lose two good players against a team like KU and not be severely impacted by it. We all know full well OU doesn't go 10 or 12 deep and no one here is so deluded as to think this is an elite squad. So yeah, two key players being out is a big deal. I would very much like to know how today's game would have gone with Hugley and Soares on the court. We'll never know but based on what I saw and given how Soares has been playing the last month, I'd like our chances. Injuries are of course part of the game, but there are injuries and then there are injuries and then there's the timing of those injuries. Had I been allowed to choose which of our core players were going to miss this game, it certainly wouldn't have been either of those two.

I don't know your definition of "good team" but only elite teams can lose two good players against a team like KU and not be severely impacted by it. We all know full well OU doesn't go 10 or 12 deep and no one here is so deluded as to think this is an elite squad. So yeah, two key players being out is a big deal. I would very much like to know how today's game would have gone with Hugley and Soares on the court. We'll never know but based on what I saw and given how Soares has been playing the last month, I'd like our chances. Injuries are of course part of the game, but there are injuries and then there are injuries and then there's the timing of those injuries. Had I been allowed to choose which of our core players were going to miss this game, it certainly wouldn't have been either of those two.
This is another example of people overvaluing our guys. If another team’s equivalent of Hugley was out, people on this board probably wouldn’t even be aware of it because he is a 7th or 8th man who scores a few points a game and is crazy inconsistent. Again, every team deals with this during a season.

Again, every team deals with this during a season.
I acknowledged that injuries occur to every team; every last person on this board knows that. Can we agree that's been established and move on?

But who gets injured==and when--matters. Soares has been our best player for weeks--and arguably the calmest, least flappable one. And Hugley is important not because of the numbers he puts up but because we have no depth at the 5. When you have two players at a position (and let's face it, that's all we have at the 5), losing one of them against a top 10 opponent is a big deal.

I'll leave it there. I can't make it any plainer. But if you want to remind us all again that every team has to deal with injuries, have at it.

Back