Lineups

I expect Hill to start and/or play starter minutes. Great defender and plays multiple positions. Didn’t look to score much his first two years, which makes sense given the fact he had guys like Reaves and Doo and Brady to carry the offense. It’s funny that so many posters who claim to value good basketball players rather than just athletic projects downplay Hill, who does so many subtle things that impact games.

I would imagine anyone who has coached basketball on this board values a guy like Hill. He might not start, but he's going to be heavily involved in the rotation. Good passer, good screener, active on the boards, great defender across multiple positions. Can get a basket when he needs to. Doesn't give up possessions with dumb decisions.

Other than Tanner, I'm not sure we brought in anybody clearly better than Hill. Certainly closer to none than all.

I like Jacob (I put Tanner earlier), Mawein, and Chargois all better than Hill at the 4 spot. We'll see, I'm not sure Chargois is going to play much at the 4, as he is likely the primary backup at the 5.

Last edited:
Actually I thought Hill was our best defender. I suspect he will play ahead of Mawein and share time with Chargois. Tanner is a #5 period.

Hill just needs to look more to score. I believe he has some offensive potential based on some key baskets he made in crunch situations.

Actually I thought Hill was our best defender. I suspect he will play ahead of Mawein and share time with Chargois. Tanner is a #5 period.

Hill just needs to look more to score. I believe he has some offensive potential based on some key baskets he made in crunch situations.

i don't think hill is going to play much inside at all ..

I don't know. On one hand he had some very impressive, physical rebounding games but he constantly got his stuff tho'ed when he tried to score from inside. He appears to have decent handles but not sure about the quicks. He can defend. Had a 3-3 game beyond the arc against Texas. So, he gives tidbits of talent at different spots. Looking forward to Moser taking him to the next level in whatever spot he chooses..

I don't know. On one hand he had some very impressive, physical rebounding games but he constantly got his stuff tho'ed when he tried to score from inside. He appears to have decent handles but not sure about the quicks. He can defend. Had a 3-3 game beyond the arc against Texas. So, he gives tidbits of talent at different spots. Looking forward to Moser taking him to the next level in whatever spot he chooses..

I think he has potential but he hasn't shown much of it so far. He averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game and only 17 minutes on a team that desperately needed production from the frontcourt. Maybe Moser can get more out of him. Time will tell.

I think he has potential but he hasn't shown much of it so far. He averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds per game and only 17 minutes on a team that desperately needed production from the frontcourt. Maybe Moser can get more out of him. Time will tell.

maybe because he is not a front court player

G - Goldwire
G - Gibson
G - Harkless
F - T Groves
F - Chargois

F - Hill
G - Noland
G - Johnson
G - Cortes
F - J Groves
F- Mawein

Deep bench
Izzansa, Mason

The only ones I feel confident about starting for sure are Goldwire, Groves and Harkless. There's a ton of really good D-1 playing time with that trio.

Noland, Johnson, Mawein and Groves are wildcards. They could all start, potentially.

I have no idea how ready to play Mawein might be. If he's up to speed, I could see a lineup of Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Mawein and Groves.

Cortes has an angle to play 10-12 minutes per game since there is no other true point guard after Goldwire.

Gibson can't do it, Harkless cannot either. Maybe Noland is a candidate?

Last edited:
G - Goldwire
G - Gibson
G - Harkless
F - T Groves
F - Chargois

F - Hill
G - Noland
G - Johnson
G - Cortes
F - J Groves
F- Mawein

Deep bench
Izzansa, Mason

The only ones I feel confident about starting for sure are Goldwire, Groves and Harkless. There's a ton of really good D-1 playing time with that trio.

Noland, Johnson, Mawein and Groves are wildcards. They could all start, potentially.

I have no idea how ready to play Mawein might be. If he's up to speed, I could see a lineup of Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Mawein and Groves.

Cortes has an angle to play 10-12 minutes per game since there is no other true point guard after Goldwire.

Gibson can't do it, Harkless cannot either. Maybe Noland is a candidate?

we have no idea how good Mason is ... he very much could be in the mix at back up PG

maybe because he is not a front court player

How do you define "front court?" In my book anyone who isn't a guard is "front court." I will change my statement though.

He only got 17 minutes a game and averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds on a team that was desperate for production from its forward positions. There, is that better?

How do you define "front court?" In my book anyone who isn't a guard is "front court." I will change my statement though.

He only got 17 minutes a game and averaged 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds on a team that was desperate for production from its forward positions. There, is that better?

i would bet that he plays very very little at the 4 this season ...

moser has already called him a Guard in interviews ...

i would bet that he plays very very little at the 4 this season ...

moser has already called him a Guard in interviews ...

He doesn't have guard skills, not that I've seen anyway. I think he will play small forward. That's the frontcourt, but whatever.

we have no idea how good Mason is ... he very much could be in the mix at back up PG

I'd take that bet.

The freshman are going to have trouble getting minutes this year. Roster is stacked with proven commodities. That is fine though. Cortes and Mason aren't the kind of recruits that should be coming to a school like OU and playing major minutes day 1.

I'd take that bet.

The freshman are going to have trouble getting minutes this year. Roster is stacked with proven commodities. That is fine though. Cortes and Mason aren't the kind of recruits that should be coming to a school like OU and playing major minutes day 1.

Agree, but someone has to backup Goldwire.

Agree, but someone has to backup Goldwire.

The position of PG is less and less important. Moser's offense can/will be initiated largely by T. Groves I think. Other than that, you just need guys that can create. I think we have other guards that can fit that description, especially in a back-up role.

The position of PG is less and less important. Moser's offense can/will be initiated largely by T. Groves I think. Other than that, you just need guys that can create. I think we have other guards that can fit that description, especially in a back-up role.

That's fine, but there are minutes to be had. Goldwire, Noland, Gibson and Harkless can't play them all.

I consider Johnson and Hill as wing players.

That's fine, but there are minutes to be had. Goldwire, Noland, Gibson and Harkless can't play them all.

I consider Johnson and Hill as wing players.

There really aren't though. Most teams play between 7 and MAYBE 9 players once the season gets serious.

For Mason or Cortes to crack that, to be top 9, they'd have to put themselves in front of TWO from this list:

Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Noland, Hill, Johnson, J. Groves, Mawein, Chargois, and T. Groves

I just don't see it. Take Noland out of that group, and you've got 9 pretty experienced, proven, talented players. They didn't bring in Johnson to not play him.

If you figure T. Groves, Chargois, J. Groves, and Mawein get most of the 4/5 minutes, that leaves Cortes/Mason fighting Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Hill, Johnson, and MAYBE Noland for minutes at the 1-3 spots. There just aren't many minutes left for somebody that may be the 6th or 7th best player for those three spots.

Maybe 1-2 guys from that list underachieve or get injured. Or maybe a guy like Cortes just can't miss and earns time that way. It's possible. Just seems unlikely.

Edit: Just ready your last sentence. Even with Johnson and Hill manning the 3, you still have 4 guys ahead of Cortes/Mason for the 1/2 spots. Most teams aren't going to go that deep once conference play starts. I never said they wouldn't play at all. I'm sure Moser will try to get them minutes where he can. But they won't play in competitive conference games unless something happens. IMO.

Last edited:
There really aren't though. Most teams play between 7 and MAYBE 9 players once the season gets serious.

For Mason or Cortes to crack that, to be top 9, they'd have to put themselves in front of TWO from this list:

Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Noland, Hill, Johnson, J. Groves, Mawein, Chargois, and T. Groves

I just don't see it. Take Noland out of that group, and you've got 9 pretty experienced, proven, talented players. They didn't bring in Johnson to not play him.

If you figure T. Groves, Chargois, J. Groves, and Mawein get most of the 4/5 minutes, that leaves Cortes/Mason fighting Goldwire, Gibson, Harkless, Hill, Johnson, and MAYBE Noland for minutes at the 1-3 spots. There just aren't many minutes left for somebody that may be the 6th or 7th best player for those three spots.

Maybe 1-2 guys from that list underachieve or get injured. Or maybe a guy like Cortes just can't miss and earns time that way. It's possible. Just seems unlikely.

Edit: Just ready your last sentence. Even with Johnson and Hill manning the 3, you still have 4 guys ahead of Cortes/Mason for the 1/2 spots. Most teams aren't going to go that deep once conference play starts.

That's fair. Having watched Moser's teams, though, he does play a true point guard even a lot runs through the high post. Thus my point about needing a backup point guard.

It’s funny that so many posters who claim to value good basketball players rather than just athletic projects downplay Hill, who does so many subtle things that impact games.

As one of said posters, I fully support Hill. If he's your worst starter, then you're probably a Sweet 16 team.

Back