Listen to all the Big 12 coaches' teleconferences

Some more good stuff:

There are strong reasons to believe that the 2009-10 could be a banner season for Big 12 men's basketball - as in championship banner.

Kansas, two years removed from winning the conference's first men's national championship, is the presumptive preseason No. 1 team while Texas figures to start the season in the top five. That sort of strength recalls the 2002-03 season when Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas were preseason top five teams and two (Kansas and Texas) made the Final Four.

In addition to strength at the top, the Big 12 has depth. Oklahoma, Kansas State, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State figure to be factors in most preseason top 25 rankings. Three teams that finished at the bottom of last year's standings - Colorado, Iowa State and Texas Tech - each return at least 72 percent of their scoring.

"The good thing is you're playing against the best night in and night out," Baylor coach Scott Drew said. "Players want to play against great players, they want to play in the best conference. The better the league is, the better for all of us."

The Big 12 returns seven of the 10 players who were selected to the All-Big 12 First and Second Teams and also can boast of 21 of the nation's top 90 recruits (according to rankings of ESPNU/Scouts Inc.).

"Our league is better than it's ever been, as strong as it's ever been," said Texas coach Rick Barnes, the longest-tenured coach in the Big 12.

Here's a team-by-team assessment from each coach.

Baylor coach Scott Drew ...
On his 2009-10 roster: We have a huge freshmen class coming in, six freshmen. That means we've lost a little bit - 63 percent of our scoring, 50 percent of our rebounding and 66 percent of our assists. At the same time, it's exciting around Baylor because we've achieved a lot of firsts. Now, we're in a bit of transition, bringing in a talented recruiting class. But as we all know, playing in the Big 12, it's tough when you've got freshmen.

On reaching the NIT championship game: You always want to finish strong because that can lead to a good off season. Our fans are very excited. You're only as good as your last game and a lot of Baylor fans and college basketball fans got a chance to see us make that run. From a publicity standpoint and the notoriety, it was very helpful."

On freshman Nolan Dennis: He's an outstanding high school player in Texas. His biggest strength is his versatility. He can handle the ball, shoot, defend, he can play multiple positions. He can help us in a variety of ways and he's gonna make a contribution over the next few years.

On the potential of the Big 12 in 2009-10: I think the Big 12 surprised some people nationally in how strong we finished in the NCAA Tournament, the NIT. The great thing is that this year we can be better. Arguably, we have the best conference in the nation.

On Ekpe Udoh, a 6-10 forward/center who transferred from Michigan: Whenever you have a transfer, he has a year to learn your system. And last year, he was able to concentrate and work on his offensive game; we're pleased with how far he's come on offense. He was all-defensive team in the Big Ten, he broke Chris Webber's shot blocks record at Michigan. He's a presence on the defensive end. He's gonna be a name people learn about pretty quick.

Colorado coach Jeff Bzdelik ...
On summer weight-training and development: We finally were able to hire a strength coach (James Hardy) and we were finally able to complete our basketball weight room. Our players are utilizing the new additions, they're in there constantly and showing great benefits from that.

On gaining mental toughness: Wisdom and experience came at a very high price last season when we lost so many games that were close. We weren't deep enough, strong enough, mature enough, experienced enough. We were pretty good for 30 minutes last year, but we've got to be deeper. The players we're bringing in are a little older than typical freshmen. We'll be deeper and stronger. I think those combinations will lead to being mentally tougher.

On freshman Alec Burks: He's a very talented player. People around here compare him to Reggie Roby (Colorado's career scoring leader) when he first arrived at Colorado. Burks has the talent to score the ball, he just needs to get stronger and understand there's another side to the game - defense. He has a bright future. He can create his own scoring opportunities and you can't teach that. The scouting services had him at 6-4 and he's up to 6-6. I've told him to keep growing.

On junior-college transfer Marquis Relphorde, a 6-7 forward: He's gonna make an immediate impact. He's three years removed from high school. He's strong, skilled, he can make shots off the dribble, can shoot the perimeter three off the catch, he can finish at the rim.

On the block-charge rule change that doesn't incorporate the arc on the floor under the basket similar to the NBA: In college, because there is no defined place on the floor as a reference point for the officials, there is no consistency to that call whatsoever. You can tell by the irritation in my voice ... I don't understand why we don't have something to help the officials on that call. It's a crap shoot in what's gonna be called when somebody drives to the basket. In fairness to the officials, it's a tough call and I'd like to see them get some help.

Iowa State coach Greg McDermott ...
On having most of his key players coming back next season: I almost forgot what that was like, it's been awhile. Having seven players back plus two guys who sat out last season, it helps so much in the summer. When you have guys who have been through it before, understand what it takes to be successful at this level. I feel like we've finally got our program at the place it should have been at a year ago. Now, we've got to try and move it forward because frankly, I'm tired of losing.

On feeling better about this upcoming season than any other he's had at Iowa State: I do without question in large part because I've got some familiar faces this summer. In the past off seasons, we've been re-inventing the wheel. Our recruiting class really upgrades our athletic ability which, in my mind, was a weakness last year.

On Marquis Gilstrap, a 6-6 senior forward who is eligible to play with the Cyclones: I sure hope he can make an impact. His junior-college numbers speak for him (22.6 points and 10.1 rebounds per game for Gulf Coast Community College in Florida). He's a big guard who can rebound. In the Big 12, you need to have versatile players in your guard corps. When you recruit a junior-college player, your intention is that he'll have an impact. And since he's here just one year, he better be able to have an impact.

On his players talking about making the NCAA Tournament: I want 'em to think like that. If you're worth your salt, you have expectations for yourself and your team. We didn't accomplish what we wanted last year. We were competitive for 25-30 minutes in almost every game. The hardest part is to figure out how to play those other 10 minutes. We've got the ability to do that now.

On whether the roster stability will impact non-conference scheduling to help the team's RPI: We're in a tournament in Chicago with Saint Louis, Northwestern and Notre Dame, the Big 12 / Pac-10 series will be great for us and we've go the three in-state games (Iowa, Northern Iowa, Drake) that's a little unique for us. I think we've got some good built-in games.

Kansas coach Bill Self ...
On his team likely to head into the season as the No. 1 team and carrying that bull's eye: We're not ready for that and right now I don't think that's bad. These guys had a fabulous year last season but we know there's a big step you've still got to take to win a (national) championship. We'll get some knots put on our heads, hopefully not with a lot of losses. We have a chance to be a great team but there's not as much margin for error as there was two years ago when we basically had seven pro players. Hopefully, having the bull's eye will create a toughness level that you'll need to win it all.

On the things center Cole Aldrich, a junior-to-be, needs to work on during the offseason: He took some time off because his body was tired. Over the summer, he'll attend some camps. He needs a stronger lower body, he needs a stronger base about him. That's where he can make himself a better player.

On Jeff Withey, a 7-footer who will be eligible to play as a redshirt freshman in late December after transferring from Arizona: I saw a player that you can see has a lot of ability. He's skilled, he's got some range, he can really block and alter shots. Then I also saw a guy who physically needs to get stronger, a guy whose motor doesn't run as fast as it should all the time, a guy who would take some possessions off. From our perspective, the year he sat was a good year for him."

On former Kansas athletic director Bob Frederick, who died last Friday after being injured in a cycling accident: The word for him was class. He was a great role model. I've had someone who has been around here for a long, long time say this is the greatest loss the community of Lawrence and the school has ever had.

Kansas State coach Frank Martin ...
On Curtis Kelly, a 6-8 junior forward who will be eligible after transferring from Connecticut: He possesses a high skill level and understands the game. He's a presence at the rim. He can score at the rim and he can block shots. He brings something we weren't consistent at doing last year. He had to get excited about playing again. He's done an unbelievable job of recommitting himself to being a Division I athlete. He lost 25 pounds, he's stronger, runs faster and jumps higher than when he got here. It's a credit to him for putting in the time in the weight room.

On if this season's roster is the best mixture of veterans and incoming players he has had: By far. We've got valuable returning experience plus some talented newcomers. My first year, we lost David Hoskins the leading returning scorer and we had seven freshmen. Last year we had more experience but we were a sophomore-dominated team. This is the best situation we've had going into a season.

On the Big 12 getting respect nationally: I came from the East Coast and I dealt with the East Coast media covering East Coast schools. I was not as knowledgeable about the Big 12. Since I've been here I've said this conference is as good as any in the country. Over the last seven years the Big 12 has had more non-conference victories, more Final Four teams, more teams in the Elite Eight and the Sweet 16 than any other conference. I don't understand why people find it difficult to give the Big 12 the credit it deserves. It's a ridiculously difficult conference to win in.

On Wally Judge, a 6-9, 240-pound freshman forward: He's extremely talented young man, he's blessed with tremendous athletic ability. He can run like the wind. He has the knack for finding the ball. The good thing for him is that we have so many returning players and the weight of success won't fall entirely on his shoulders. He'll be allowed to grow at a normal rate. And he'll have to compete against some talented upper classmen. They'll bring the best out of Wally and he'll bring the best out of them. It's the best of both worlds.

Missouri coach Mike Anderson ...
On senior-to-be guard J.T. Tiller, who had surgery to repair a wrist he injured last season: He's been doing well, but he hasn't been released to start working out and playing. He also came down with a case of mononucleosis. I think he'll start picking things up next week.

On working with USA Basketball: I'm excited about it. This is certainly a great opportunity to get involved with USA Basketball. For anyone affiliated with basketball here in the United States, it's a dream to represent your country and help your national program.

On freshmen Mike Dixon and Tyler Stone, who are on campus and working out with the team: They've been here for a couple of weeks and they're learning the ropes. We've got some veteran guys who can show them how we do things."

On how the Tigers reaching the Elite Eight helped with recruiting: It's too early to tell. I think it will have more of an effect on the next two recruiting classes.

On the new rule that allows an opposing coach to select the free throw shooter if that player is injured and can't take the shots: I think it's a bad rule. I think they should have looked at some alternatives, like give the team the option of taking the ball out of bounds instead of shooting the free throws.

Nebraska coach Doc Sadler ...
On how his roster is shaping up: We've got good balance, a good number of players in each class. It's not like we're gonna have to go out and sign five or six players in a recruiting class. I'm happy with the guys we've got, they're all high-character guys.

On improving the team's overall size: Everybody was concerned about the size of our inside players last year, but the important thing is we've gotten bigger with our wings and guards. I hope we're finally going to look like a college basketball team.

On the recovery from injuries by center Christopher Niemann and guard Eshaunte Jones: They've been doing well. Christopher probably won't be able to do anything until the first of September. Eshaunte was out for about four months with ankle surgery. He started working out in the middle of April. He had to have sports hernia surgery in May but he should be ready to go once school starts. The fact he was around the team last year, I think he'll be more than just a true freshman. He was able to pick up a lot.

On the impact that three junior-college players - 6-8 Quincy Hankins, 6-5 Myles Holley and 6-2 Lance Jeter - could have on the Cornhuskers: Quincy and Myles add some size that we needed. The guard spot and the wing spot on our team will now be able to compete in this league. Hopefully we won't be playing with 6-4 inside games and 6-foot wings.

On summer conditioning: We'll give our guys plenty of time off at the end of the summer and the ones that want to go home will have the opportunity during the second semester of summer school. But while they're here, we want 'em to work at the intensity level where they'll be at once school starts. I believe if you're going to do anything, you need to do it as hard as you can so it becomes a habit.

Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel ...
On the team being in transition after losing last season's national player of the year, Blake Griffin: You're always in transition, no matter who leaves. Every year, your team is different. We certainly lost a big piece to the team in Blake. The makeup of our team will be different next year. We have talented but unproven players inside. There will be question marks there. We feel good about perimeter. We've got guys coming back who played well and added some guys there.

On sophomore Willie Warren being the face of the program this season: We don't want or need him to be like Blake, but we want him to be Willie and the best Willie he can be. He's the most popular guy returning to our team and one of the most popular guys returning in college basketball.

On the newcomers that are on campus: We've got four that are here (Andrew Fitzgerald), Keith "Tiny" Gallon, Tommy Mason-Griffin and Steven Pledger. Kyle Hardrick is the one guy who isn't on campus yet.

On the NBA's "one and done" rule: It's a bad rule, a really bad rule. It makes a mockery of education in college and it's condescending on the NBA's part.

On the strength of the Big 12: In my three years here, it's been the best conference in the country. The conference has won a national championship, had four different teams reach the Elite Eight the last two years. And look at what's happened because of that, look at the success the league has had in recruiting. I certainly think Kansas has to be the favorite to win the national championship this season. Texas will be one of the top teams. Texas A&M will be right there. Travis has done a good job at Oklahoma State; James Anderson coming back there is huge. Craig Brackins at Iowa State is one of the premier players in the country. People around the country are starting to take notice of what we've accomplished and where we're going.

Oklahoma State coach Travis Ford ...
On what he's learned about James Anderson, who is returning for his sophomore season: I had heard about him, his reputation as a player. The first thing that impressed me was the type of person he is. He's the most polite guy - , yes sir, no sir, looks you in the eye when you talk to him, he accountable, he's never late. He's an extraordinary person. He's for real when it comes to being a person. As far as being a player, I love shooters and he's a dead-eye shooter with great, great range. What he had to do was put the ball on the floor and create some things. He bought into it and he expanded his game throughout the season. One of the reasons he wanted to come back is that he saw how much he improved. He's very coachable. He believes his best days are ahead of him.

On having size on this season's roster: We're adding size but how ready they're going to be, is obviously a big question mark. Marshall Moses is coming back and toward the end of the season he really improved his game he gave us really consistent play inside. Even though he's not the biggest guy as far as height, he's strong and physical and can play inside. As far as some depth and size up front, we've added to that but the new guys are still very much unproven.

On if he's still on a "honeymoon period" with Oklahoma State fans: This time last year, I had made a lot of stops on our fan caravans and I'd get nice applause but I think there was a lot of 'Who is this guy?' There were a lot of questions about me and the program. I understood all that. Now they've gotten to know me and we've got a year under our belt.

On the momentum of last year's strong finish: We want our returning players to want even more but to understand that we're losing some players who started for three to four years, players who were the backbone of the team. I think our fans our excited. So far in the summer, the guys seem to be working really hard.

On reports that freshman Karron Johnson might not qualify academically and could wind up at a junior college instead of Oklahoma State: That's a possibility.

Texas coach Rick Barnes ...
On any concerns he has about the upcoming season: I don't know if I have any concerns right now. We've always had high expectations. Our guys are really good. They'll have to accept roles but we'll have to put guys in those situations. What I love is the fact we're gonna have great competition. Our players will realize that if they get on the floor they'll have to earn it. We've got more depth than we've had in a long time.

On Jai Lucas, a sophomore who transferred from Florida and will be eligible after the first semester: We've been impressed with him, he understands the role of a point guard. He has become a great teammate to everybody. He loves being in the gym. He doesn't turn it over and you love that from your point guard.

On freshman Avery Bradley, who has been listed as the nation's top recruit by ESPNU/Scouts Inc.: I've never seen a player improve as much as he did. We liked him and we knew he'd be special but the improvement he made over the last year, he really impressed a lot of people.

On Dexter Pittman continuing to improve after playing strong at the end of last season: The key again will be how long can he play at a high level. He's a load for anybody to deal with. Last year, we sort of remade ourselves on the fly, going from playing at a fast pace to slowing it down and using Dexter. If he continues to improve his conditioning so he can run with us, it'll help us even more.

On the style of play the Longhorns figure to use this season: However we play, it's always gonna start on the defensive end. I think we can be an outstanding defensive team. We've got some guys who can play it one-on-one, stay in front of the ball. We want to run and I'll think we'll have great balance. We adapt but there are certain things we want to do every night - defend, rebound and take care of the ball. If you do that, you'll give yourself a chance to be in most games. I think we'll be a lot better on both ends of the court.

Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon ...
On Texas A&M winning national championships in men's golf, men's and women's track and field: "No 1, it starts with (athletic director) Bill Byrne and his vision for the athletic programs. We've won three national championships over the last two weeks and you can sense how the sports are pushing each other to be the best. The competition to be successful is there; you don't want to let the athletic department down. It's welcome pressure.

On the impact of losing junior center Chinemelu Elonu to the NBA Draft: If you had asked me about our team before Chin's decision, I would have said we were going to have our best team this season. Losing him changes things. We still have expectations, but our depth inside has changed. We've got some holes to fill. We'll have young kids who will have an opportunity to play and we'll see how they react.

On if he was surprised the Elonu decided to stay in the draft: I wasn't surprised knowing Chin and knowing the process. I was a little surprised after all the facts I put together. He had been telling me for two years he was gonna leave after his junior year because he was on track to graduate. He just wanted to move on. I hope draft day goes great for him. He has the potential to be a NBA player.

On incoming players who can make an impact: Ray Turner and Kourtney Roberson both have an opportunity to play right away. The players are all talking about Khris Middleton. But I won't really know for sure about any of 'em until practice starts. All of the newcomers will have a chance to play.

On how good the Big 12 will be: I think we'll be the best conference in the country. I've talked to the so-called experts with the pen and the internet and they're telling me that the Big 12 could be the best because we've got really good teams at the top in Kansas and Texas plus great depth.

Texas Tech coach Pat Knight ...
On his comfort level going into this season after his first full season as a head coach: It's a lot better than last summer. We saw some things that worked, some things that didn't. Now, we know what to expect, I know what I need to have to be successful, I know what we need to work on.

On Mike Singletary and John Roberson, two players going into their junior seasons: They have to be our leaders. It's hard for freshmen and sophomores to be leaders on a team because they tend to defer to the older guys. I think both Mike and John Roberson are full of confidence. I won't have any problem figuring out who the leaders are this year - it will be those two guys.

On the difficulty of keeping up, much less moving up, in a conference as strong as the Big 12: It's like you're thrown in the deep end of the pool with a weighted vest and they tell you to tread water. You have to win some games on the road and beat some of the teams who people think are unbeatable. It's part of being in one of the better conferences; it's a helluva league.

On having seven of the top eight scorers back but improving in other areas: We have to get better on defense and that was my fault. I focused so much on our offense last year. I didn't want to be the guy who screwed up the motion offense, but I screwed up the man-to-man defense. We've started from scratch to get that defensive mind set. From a talent and a depth stand point, I think we'll be able to play better defense.

Great stuff!

On Jeff Withey, a 7-footer who will be eligible to play as a redshirt freshman in late December after transferring from Arizona: I saw a player that you can see has a lot of ability. He's skilled, he's got some range, he can really block and alter shots. Then I also saw a guy who physically needs to get stronger, a guy whose motor doesn't run as fast as it should all the time, a guy who would take some possessions off. From our perspective, the year he sat was a good year for him."

Geez, just what KU needs. They add another 7 footer who can come in and dominate people, lol.

On the impact of losing junior center Chinemelu Elonu to the NBA Draft: If you had asked me about our team before Chin's decision, I would have said we were going to have our best team this season. Losing him changes things. We still have expectations, but our depth inside has changed. We've got some holes to fill. We'll have young kids who will have an opportunity to play and we'll see how they react.

Man, he screwed them. He probably wont even go in the first round.

On freshman Alec Burks: He's a very talented player. People around here compare him to Reggie Roby (Colorado's career scoring leader) when he first arrived at Colorado. Burks has the talent to score the ball, he just needs to get stronger and understand there's another side to the game - defense. He has a bright future. He can create his own scoring opportunities and you can't teach that. The scouting services had him at 6-4 and he's up to 6-6. I've told him to keep growing.

Thats exciting news for CU that he is already 6'6''.... What a recruiting blunder for Mike Anderson and Mizzou to let the best offensive player (and perhaps best overall player) in your state go to Colorado. He could have a Roby type career at CU.

On Ekpe Udoh, a 6-10 forward/center who transferred from Michigan: Whenever you have a transfer, he has a year to learn your system. And last year, he was able to concentrate and work on his offensive game; we're pleased with how far he's come on offense. He was all-defensive team in the Big Ten, he broke Chris Webber's shot blocks record at Michigan. He's a presence on the defensive end. He's gonna be a name people learn about pretty quick.

Great transfer for Baylor... He is gonna be perfect sitting in the back of that zone blocking shots.

On having size on this season's roster: We're adding size but how ready they're going to be, is obviously a big question mark. Marshall Moses is coming back and toward the end of the season he really improved his game he gave us really consistent play inside. Even though he's not the biggest guy as far as height, he's strong and physical and can play inside. As far as some depth and size up front, we've added to that but the new guys are still very much unproven.

Gonna be a struggle....

On junior-college transfer Marquis Relphorde, a 6-7 forward: He's gonna make an immediate impact. He's three years removed from high school. He's strong, skilled, he can make shots off the dribble, can shoot the perimeter three off the catch, he can finish at the rim.

The coaches and players have all been very impressed with Relphorde. Should be a great compliment to Higgins at 6'7'' 225 on the wing with his ability to drive and shoot.

Back