Looking for insight on the recruitment of '11 SF Keaton Miles

Bleedbluegold03

Reaction score
Hello OK faithful,

First off I wanted to give my congrats on the Cameron Clark commitment. While we were in the final 3 I knew you guys would eventually land the stud and it would give us a little more recognition (as every little bit helps). In the end we got a commit from instate monster Vander Blue so I guess we can both go home happy for 2010.

Looking to 2011 6'6" SF Keaton Miles recently attended our Marquette Madness on his own dime and with this board seeming fairly knowledgeable on Texas recruits I am wondering if anyone has any insight on his recruitment and what he looks to be as a player. I would think the travel from Texas to Wisconsin isn't the cheapest so is something significant taking place with the action or is Buzz using another of his Texas contacts?

Thanks alot in advance for your responses and have a great season.

-BBG

Hello OK faithful,

First off I wanted to give my congrats on the Cameron Clark commitment. While we were in the final 3 I knew you guys would eventually land the stud and it would give us a little more recognition (as every little bit helps). In the end we got a commit from instate monster Vander Blue so I guess we can both go home happy for 2010.

Looking to 2011 6'6" SF Keaton Miles recently attended our Marquette Madness on his own dime and with this board seeming fairly knowledgeable on Texas recruits I am wondering if anyone has any insight on his recruitment and what he looks to be as a player. I would think the travel from Texas to Wisconsin isn't the cheapest so is something significant taking place with the action or is Buzz using another of his Texas contacts?

-BBG

Hello BBG, and welcome to OUHoops! I hope you make this a second (or 3rd, 4th, etc) home for your hoops talk! We welcome everyone to post on here as long as they like. Provided it is good natured and such.

As for Keaton, he has a long body and seems to have a good attitude. I know he mentioned Marquette as one of the schools that is recruiting him the most. He also mentioned about 3 or 4 other schools (Oklahoma included). Here is a video of a few highlights and an interview.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsdOzPNFwGY[/ame]

I know it isn't very many highlights, but I got to see him play at the Fall GASO in Lewisville, TX this past month. He looks like a great talent and I can't wait to see some more about him. He seems like a nice kid too.

Like I said before, you are welcome to browse the OUHoopsTV (Youtube) site and this site, as much as you like! If you like it enough, feel free to spread the word!

Miles did visit Baylor twice in the last month according to metroplexhoops.com. He went with LeBryan Nash for an unofficial visit 3 weeks ago and then went by himself to check out a practice in the last couple of days.

I don't think Baylor needs any more luck when it comes to signing high profile recruits.

I don't think Baylor needs any more luck when it comes to signing high profile recruits.

I give it up to Drew, that cat can recruit Texas very well. Heck, they were the finalists with us for Willie Warren. What is it location? Drew's charisma? Have no idea why they are recruiting so well.

I give it up to Drew, that cat can recruit Texas very well. Heck, they were the finalists with us for Willie Warren. What is it location? Drew's charisma? Have no idea why they are recruiting so well.
Drew is using the fact that Baylor is a baptist school to sell it to religious parents of recruits. See Perry Jones' mother.

Baylor sounds like huge favorites for Miles and Nash and I think it has more to do with AAU ties than any baptist stuff.

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry if I got off topic, but Baylor? Baylor?

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry if I got off topic, but Baylor? Baylor?

1. Drew has tremendous energy and exudes a positive aura all the time. He's one of those rare individuals that just seems high on life at all times and people like to be around that.

A personal example. I went to watch open gym over the summer. I called his assistant to make sure the players would be scrimmaging. A former player met me at the door and greeted me by name. He toured me around the facilities. Several of the coaches including Drew came to greet me and thank me for stopping by. I'm no big donor by any stretch of the imagination. Just love hoops.

Every single one of the players came and introduced themselves to me (you can tell they were well schooled by the coaches). Very polite group. One of the players let an "f-bomb" slip and he was doing push-ups policed by the other players since no coaches are allowed to watch open gym in the summer.

If you are old school and like good manners/good kids, you can see why Baylor has appeal to parents.

2. Drew and the other basketball coaches see it as their primary duty to disciple these players in the Christian faith. They value the responsibility of shaping character. Former players speak highly of Drew and Baylor as a place of encouragement and this helps build the reputation of the program. Again, the Christian aspect is not for everyone. But this has great appeal to certain kids and families and Drew has the support of Baylor's administration to do this sort of thing.

3. Drew and his coaching staff have great connections in the AAU circuit- especially in the Dallas area. They understand that recruiting is the lifeblood of the program.

4. Drew is a straight-shooter. You ask any former player what they like most about Drew and one of the first things you hear is that he always tells you the truth as he sees it. But he does it in a way that is positive and helps the kids grow.

Of course he has faults like everyone. He's probably not as tough on the kids as he should be at times- just not in his make-up to be a hard-ass. But these are some of the reasons he has a great deal of recruiting success.

IF Drew ever gets to where he can coach well enough to win something and IF he doesn't get caught cheating, he will be a hot commodity to get a better job.

Edit to say: I am not saying he is cheating now, just saying...

Based on DFW's report if Drew was Catholic he should apply for Sainthood.

Really all I got from that is that Drew is a nice guy to players, won't get on them and push them too hard. Makes sure they use "Sir" and "Ma'am", and "gosh darn" and "oh my goodness!" All nice things but somehow never quite adds up to "Good Coaching".

Hello OK faithful,

-BBG

Sorry for the Baylor sidetrack, BBG.

Back to the point of the post...

I don't know too much about his recruitment, but I do know that Buzz is doing his part, and that Keaton is interested in the Golden Eagles. He is really known for his midrange. He can attack the glass on both ends. Pretty good handles. I really liked watching Lincoln play because none of their superstars are ball hogs. I would say the biggest thing for Keaton right now is strength. He is behind in that department as compared to other wings in his class. Seems like a good kid as well imo.

Good luck with his recruitment.

Buzz has his hands all over Texas, really quite amazing a coach from Wisconsin is focusing on Texas so much.

Buzz has his hands all over Texas, really quite amazing a coach from Wisconsin is focusing on Texas so much.

Texas has a lot of talent in the Men's Basketball world. I think its pretty smart for him.

IF Drew ever gets to where he can coach well enough to win something and IF he doesn't get caught cheating, he will be a hot commodity to get a better job.

Edit to say: I am not saying he is cheating now, just saying...

Yes- you have to actually cheat to get caught cheating, so that's not going to happen...

I would be surprised if Drew left Baylor. He turned down a more lucrative offer at Memphis this past year. Many BCS private school coaches are lifers. You can live a pretty good life in Waco, Texas for a $1 million + per year. The pressure isn't there like other schools. For him, it is a good fit faith wise. He is close to some pretty fertile talent in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth.

Nothing shocks me in the no loyalty world of college athletics. But I think he thinks he can win consistently with the talent he is able to attract and the facilities that he has at Baylor.

On Buzz Williams. He was assistant to Billy Clyde at A&M and spent the 90s as assistants in Texas colleges so he has a lot of relationships in the Lone Star State.

Yes- you have to actually cheat to get caught cheating, so that's not going to happen...

I would be surprised if Drew left Baylor. He turned down a more lucrative offer at Memphis this past year. Many BCS private school coaches are lifers. You can live a pretty good life in Waco, Texas for a $1 million + per year. The pressure isn't there like other schools. For him, it is a good fit faith wise. He is close to some pretty fertile talent in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth.

Nothing shocks me in the no loyalty world of college athletics. But I think he thinks he can win consistently with the talent he is able to attract and the facilities that he has at Baylor.

On Buzz Williams. He was assistant to Billy Clyde at A&M and spent the 90s as assistants in Texas colleges so he has a lot of relationships in the Lone Star State.

Wish you would stay on topic. Don't forget our bet. 9 wins or you will stop pimping Drew/Baylor and just talk hoops. Its going to be tough with Perry Jones coming in....

I apologize, BBG. Our posters haven't learned to not take DFW's bait yet. Hopefully we will soon.

Hey, a guy asked a question about a recruit and it turns into another Baylor pissing match.

Sorry Marquette fan. My input on Miles is that he likes KU the most, but they haven't offered, his brother committed to UT, but it doesn't seem to have an effect so far. I think your average big12 teams are the players depending on who emerges out of Texas.

Back