Maurice Mcneil (San Jacinto) signs with Houston

thebigabd

Reaction score
HOUSTON - San Jacinto college forward Maurice McNeil became the newest member of the University of Houston men's basketball team when he signed a National Letter of Intent last weekend.

McNeil joined the Cougar program after spending the first two seasons at San Jacinto for head coach Scott Gernander. As a sophomore, he averaged team highs of 19.7 points and 11.7 rebounds per game on the way to being named to the All-Region XIV First Team.

McNeil, who is a native of New York, started 16 of 30 games as a freshman during the 2007-08 season, averaging 12.8 points and 8.4 rebounds per game.

A 6-foot-9, 215-pound player who will compete at UH as a junior in 2009-10, McNeil attended University Park Prep in Houston, where he averaged 20 points and 21 rebounds per game for head coach Elmer Lucas.

"Maurice is an extremely athletic player that has an amazing wingspan. He runs the floor, is very active on the glass and can finish inside," head coach Tom Penders said. "He is perfect for what we do and what we want to do, which is run and press."

McNeil chose Houston over Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma State and USF.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042009aab.html

I would have liked to have had him. Give us another scoring option in the post, PLUS even out the classes.

I would have liked to have had him. Give us another scoring option in the post, PLUS even out the classes.

I kept thinking OU was going to get in on him, but apparently it never happened. I guess we will see how he does at UH and determine if he is a guy that could have played at OU or not.

I think Jeff is more of a long term thinker and would rather use this ship for good guys he can get next year instead of a guy like McNeil.

I think Jeff is more of a long term thinker and would rather use this ship for good guys he can get next year instead of a guy like McNeil.

Can't you sign a player that can play for two years and still be a long term thinker?

Back