MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

with out congressional action (don't hold your breath) or players as employees with a CBA (where we are headed) it is not going to change ..

when OU basketball has to play its employees the players will split something like 5 mill between the 13 of them ..
When Jason Belzer did his second appearance on OUINsider, he said the SEC schools have every intention of paying players from TV money in the next 12-18 months.

Why should their market/worth be artificially capped unlike everyone else in society?
Because they are supposed to be students participating in amateur athletics.

I know that line has been blurred for a LONG time, but that is still what they are supposed to be.

When Jason Belzer did his second appearance on OUINsider, he said the SEC schools have every intention of paying players from TV money in the next 12-18 months.
I wouldn't put much stock into that timeline ... but it is for sure coming and sooner then most think

Because they are supposed to be students participating in amateur athletics.

I know that line has been blurred for a LONG time, but that is still what they are supposed to be.
That’s not what they are and it’s not what they’ve been for decades. They’ve been used as pawns for universities to make hundreds of millions of dollars. This goes way beyond the cost of attending school. They deserve to get paid as much as the university deserves to make money on athletics.

What’s supposed to be and what is are not the same.

That’s not what they are and it’s not what they’ve been for decades. They’ve been used as pawns for universities to make hundreds of millions of dollars. This goes way beyond the cost of attending school. They deserve to get paid as much as the university deserves to make money on athletics.
If they are getting paid, they should be paying for their school. And their dorm. And their books. And their clothes. And their meals. And their physical therapy.

Schools aren't making a ton off of athletes. Most athletic departments still run in the red. I'd be surprised if very many non-football teams, especially non-football and non-mens basketball teams, are making a profit. There was a point in time in the last 10-20 years when only 5 or so athletic programs in the country were making a profit. If the schools take on paying the athletes, nobody is going to like the end result. Small schools won't survive it. Smaller sports won't survive it. And you'll see Universities like OU have to make some tough decisions. Do facilities not get updated as often? Do ticket prices go sky high?4

You are confusing revenue with profits. It cost a lot of money to run an athletic department, and a successful football program. Or basketball program. Not nearly as easy or black-and-white as some of you want to paint it to be. If it was as simple as the schools paying the athletes, that is what NIL would have been. Instead it literally said the schools CANNOT pay the athletes.

I'm still expecting Maryland to have Belmont transfer Ja'Kobi Gillespie on board before long. Things seemed to turn in a positive direction with the Belmont transfer on Monday and Tuesday and despite some efforts by Florida and Oklahoma to get him to visit this weekend, I don't think that will happen. Maryland made a strong immediate push for the emerging star from Tennessee as the transfer portal opened and it would be a major surprise if he doesn't end up in College Park.
----
One of the top point guards in the portal is Ja'Kobi Gillespie, one of the three impact transfer out of Belmont.

Last weekend he wasted no time in taking an official to Maryland and the Terrapins have quickly surged out in front of this recruitment.

Other schools are still in pursuit and he is in talks of possibly taking a visit to Oklahoma this week but if a decision comes sooner than later, Kevin Willard should be adding a dynamic guard who can score and create for others.

Last edited:

What’s supposed to be and what is are not the same.
meh

Not getting into this one

Come home Pedulla!!! I would love to add him...very solid PG! Maybe he could bring Lynn Kidd with him?? :)

Last edited:
Back