MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Not trying to be rude (lol), but "that'll work"?

Ugh.....I don't see that as a very good team, depending on who the 3rd guard is. Not very good meaning probably a ceiling of what this year's team was, if not worse. Just don't see a ton to get excited about, and then you turn around and lose Pedulla, JM, Moore, and I think Godwin after that. Other than Garrison on defense, that roster looks to be worse on defense and offense than this year's team. Again, assuming that third guard isn't a stud.
They averaged in the 70s in Big 12 play that isn't that bad. This was a 20 win team. And fewer teams in the SEC play that good on defense. The thing OU needs to do is find a couple athletic guys. Moore came from Georgia Tech with so-so numbers but he was obviously really athletic. Need another couple guys like that and we'll be good.

Pedulla with JM and Milos would be fine. If you can generate offense from all 3 guard positions, it would help overcome the defensive limitations that come with JM and Pedulla.
Milos will not be here

My biggest concern about him isn't the height, defense, or even the 3PT%- all legitimate concerns. It's the turnovers.

Averaged 3.3 TO per game last year to his 4.6 APG. As a JR starter, avg 2.1 TO PG the previous year on 3.8 APG.

That puts his APG/TO right above 1.4 PG for last year and his career. Not ideal for a starting PG. Milos, even with his jump in the air and pass backwards was about 2.2 last year.

Good player and nice APG and PPG, but I would prefer a starting PG above 2.0 on APG/TO.
He ain’t perfect but better roster another pg in jm to help.

I get gripping about some things but just say you don’t like him. He’s a good player.
I’m not sure where you got griping or saying I don’t like him out of that. I said I haven’t really watched him to know his game and just said that I didn’t know how him and McCollum would pair together. Being small and shooting poorly from 3 are legit worries.

Why should their market/worth be artificially capped unlike everyone else in society?
Because unlike us, they get free education, housing, and eat better than all of us. I agree that they need to have a little extra money, but if you added up the value of what they get each year, you'd be blown away. You'd probably find out that they are already making more than most of us with just their free education, housing, and food.

They averaged in the 70s in Big 12 play that isn't that bad. This was a 20 win team. And fewer teams in the SEC play that good on defense. The thing OU needs to do is find a couple athletic guys. Moore came from Georgia Tech with so-so numbers but he was obviously really athletic. Need another couple guys like that and we'll be good.
Stop.

If you are "fine" with what OU put on the court this year, and the general shape of the program, we can just agree to disagree. We need to be better. I don't see that happening yet.

My biggest concern about him isn't the height, defense, or even the 3PT%- all legitimate concerns. It's the turnovers.

Averaged 3.3 TO per game last year to his 4.6 APG. As a JR starter, avg 2.1 TO PG the previous year on 3.8 APG.

That puts his APG/TO right above 1.4 PG for last year and his career. Not ideal for a starting PG. Milos, even with his jump in the air and pass backwards was about 2.2 last year.

Good player and nice APG and PPG, but I would prefer a starting PG above 2.0 on APG/TO.
Bet a lot of there home games so was able to watch most of them, felt like similar to JM it was always up to him to have the ball in his hands when the shot clock ran down which caused tough contested 3's or a turnover trying to create. Feel like both would benefit from each other, Kid can score in a variety of ways if 3's arent falling on the road. Very good mid range game, good passer on the pick and roll, and can finish at the rim.

Because unlike us, they get free education, housing, and eat better than all of us. I agree that they need to have a little extra money, but if you added up the value of what they get each year, you'd be blown away. You'd probably find out that they are already making more than most of us with just their free education, housing, and food.
Well it's not about what most of us get. It's about what the market says they're worth. If you're a 6' 10" basketball phenom then the market supports you getting paid a lot more than a tax preparer at H&R Block.

It's also a poor argument in general.

Why should they be entitled to 50% of the revenues the OU athletic department (or football program) are generating? Employees aren't entitled to a certain percentage of revenues where I work. Or where anybody works. Why is that the default position of what "needs to happen?" Give em an hourly wage. Make them clock in and out. Or play them a reasonable "salary" that covers it all. But splitting revenues? Where, outside of professional sports, does THAT happen?

So just because they get a free education, housing, and food means they should be precluded from making extra money? Does this apply just to college athletes or any job where there are good fringe benefits? Do companies that pay for an employee's MBA require them to take zero salary except for housing and food costs?

It's also a poor argument in general.

Why should they be entitled to 50% of the revenues the OU athletic department (or football program) are generating? Employees aren't entitled to a certain percentage of revenues where I work. Or where anybody works. Why is that the default position of what "needs to happen?" Give em an hourly wage. Make them clock in and out. Or play them a reasonable "salary" that covers it all. But splitting revenues? Where, outside of professional sports, does THAT happen?
I agree that revenue sharing is a stretch but I was making a point about NIL. Right now it's not regulated so it just depends on what the market will allow. There's a reason Livvy Dunne is one of the highest paid athletes in college sports and it's not because she's an amazing gymnast. It's because that's what the market is dictating.

Per40 numbers:
ClassGGSMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%TRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
PedullaJR323210266.715.80.4244.69.50.492.16.40.32556.30.8015.35.81.40.14.12.820.5
UzanSO323210144.511.50.3923.26.90.4551.34.50.29611.50.6764.35.61.50.42.6211.3

1711555294020.png

Hope this helps, considering he is better than Los in every statistical category...lol (More TOV and More Fouls as well)

I agree that revenue sharing is a stretch but I was making a point about NIL. Right now it's not regulated so it just depends on what the market will allow. There's a reason Livvy Dunne is one of the highest paid athletes in college sports and it's not because she's an amazing gymnast. It's because that's what the market is dictating.
At least Livvy Dunne is out doing stuff to EARN her NIL. She is super marketable because of her looks. But nobody is giving her $1M to do gymnastics at LSU. Nobody is paying her for that. They are paying her to do tv and internet ads. THAT is what NIL is about. Given her following and the interest she generates, I understand companies paying her that. It's worth it. That isn't the same as some wealthy donor "buying" a player. Not the same at all.

At least Livvy Dunne is out doing stuff to EARN her NIL. She is super marketable because of her looks. But nobody is giving her $1M to do gymnastics at LSU. Nobody is paying her for that. They are paying her to do tv and internet ads. THAT is what NIL is about. Given her following and the interest she generates, I understand companies paying her that. It's worth it. That isn't the same as some wealthy donor "buying" a player. Not the same at all.
It's exactly the same because it's all in the NIL bucket. And the wealthy donor is part of the market. I'm not saying it's right but it is what it is.

So just because they get a free education, housing, and food means they should be precluded from making extra money? Does this apply just to college athletes or any job where there are good fringe benefits? Do companies that pay for an employee's MBA require them to take zero salary except for housing and food costs?
That is a terrible comparison.

If a company is providing fringe benefits, that is factored into overall compensation. All we're saying is do the same for athletes. All that "extra" stuff has a value. And I'm guessing in most cases, for all but the top 10% of athletes, those fringe benefits are probably more than enough to cover what the university is making off of them.

OU basketball generates 11 mil + a year the things you mention don't come close to that ....

Back