MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

One thing I would like to make clear on the stats I posted above.

I think there are a few diamonds in the rough that can be good fillers...however, if we are not evaluating the 1000s of players in the portal from solid programs and proven track record and take a JUCO as a first priority, our coaching staff has failed in every aspect of evaluation.

You take a P5/G5 guy over a JUCO guy. JUCO is a last resort option.

In no sane world is anyone taking a JUCO prospect over Garrison. It should never happen at a team wanting to be a Top-25 program.

Things were different pre-portal. No one is sitting a season out anymore. That was a big reason for JUCO

Absolutely….. is Jason Edwards in the portal? I bet he can’t help OU…..

Absolutely….. is Jason Edwards in the portal? I bet he can’t help OU…..
Did you not read my post earlier on the Top-50 rated JUCO players?

I also was discussing JUCO to impact the next year. Not a year after. So, 5 players who I would be okay with taking a shot at out of 50 in a rare year for JUCOs all going D-I.

Again, all of those guys are not going to top Power 5 schools and excelling (as shown in my follow up post). There are many many more examples of players excelling from P5 to P5 and G5 to P5 as portal transfers.

JUCO just is not the same it was for Kelvin and others. It was a stop gap to help fill a year for losing a player early or having to redshirt a recruit. JUCO could play immediately. That is not the case anymore with the portal when transfers don't have to sit out a year.

G Kevin Overton, Drake​

Intel: Kevin Overton earned MVC All-Freshman honors after averaging 11.3 points. Overton’s coach, Darian Devries was just hired to take the West Virginia job, and Overton’s teammate – Devries’ son – Tucker Devries has already committed to the Mountaineers. There is a buzz surrounding Overton and West Virginia. One school I have been told that will make a push for Overton is Oklahoma. Texas Tech, Missouri, Kansas State, and Memphis are some other schools that have at least reached out to Overton.

G Sean Pedulla, Virginia Tech​

Intel: Sean Pedulla, a third-team All-ACC guard, entered the transfer portal earlier this week, leaving the door open for him to return to Virginia Tech. Along with Pedulla eight of the nine players who started a game for the Hokies have either exhausted their eligibility or entered the transfer portal along with Pedulla. One school I have heard that will be involved with Pedulla is Oklahoma.

G Jordan Ivy-Curry, UT San Antonio​

Intel: Jordan Ivy-Curry, a four-star shooting guard originally from Texas, has scored 1,178 career points. The grad transfer shot 38.7 percent from three last season. A source close to the recruitment says that Ole Miss and Virginia Tech are two schools that have done a good job to this point. Another source suggested to watch if Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Auburn, and Seton Hall can make a move.

G Kevin Overton, Drake​

Intel: Kevin Overton earned MVC All-Freshman honors after averaging 11.3 points. Overton’s coach, Darian Devries was just hired to take the West Virginia job, and Overton’s teammate – Devries’ son – Tucker Devries has already committed to the Mountaineers. There is a buzz surrounding Overton and West Virginia. One school I have been told that will make a push for Overton is Oklahoma. Texas Tech, Missouri, Kansas State, and Memphis are some other schools that have at least reached out to Overton.

G Sean Pedulla, Virginia Tech​

Intel: Sean Pedulla, a third-team All-ACC guard, entered the transfer portal earlier this week, leaving the door open for him to return to Virginia Tech. Along with Pedulla eight of the nine players who started a game for the Hokies have either exhausted their eligibility or entered the transfer portal along with Pedulla. One school I have heard that will be involved with Pedulla is Oklahoma.

G Jordan Ivy-Curry, UT San Antonio​

Intel: Jordan Ivy-Curry, a four-star shooting guard originally from Texas, has scored 1,178 career points. The grad transfer shot 38.7 percent from three last season. A source close to the recruitment says that Ole Miss and Virginia Tech are two schools that have done a good job to this point. Another source suggested to watch if Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Auburn, and Seton Hall can make a move.
The Ole Miss visit makes me think we are out on JIC, especially since we have no visits slated for this weekend per Bob Alphabet on the other site.

Please get Pedulla. Overton would be nice too. Garrison is a must.

StoopsBrothers, anything new on the Bryce Pope front?

The Ole Miss visit makes me think we are out on JIC, especially since we have no visits slated for this weekend per Bob Alphabet on the other site.

Please get Pedulla. Overton would be nice too. Garrison is a must.
I feel that if KU really wants Garrison they will get him because they can outbid us. It's all about the Benjamins.

For who? UAB, USF, North Texas, Bowling Green, and WKU...sure.

JUCO guys making an impact at P5 schools?
In today’s world, it would take a unique talent and probably willingness to take on some baggage to make recruiting JUCO to the power 5 level. Let the smaller schools take the JUCO guy and if he’s really good, then try to get him as a second time transfer.

The primary utility of JUCO guys was to have a more developed guy come in as a junior without having to sit a year. That utility is gone.

The primary utility of JUCO guys was to have a more developed guy come in as a junior without having to sit a year. That utility is gone.
It's about finding market inefficiencies. You are right, the talent pool isn't what it used to be. And a lot of bigger P5/P6 schools probably aren't looking at those players very carefully. But there are still multiple useable players every year, and a lot of them are playing JUCO ball in our backyard (Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas). Nobody is saying we should recruit one every year. Nobody is saying we need a roster full of them. I (and others) are simply saying it is a resource we shouldn't ignore. I'd rather take a chance on a JUCO with two years, even if they sit the first, than a guy like Maks who was never going to contribute in a significant way. Same with Keita. JMO.

If OU football can recruit JUCO's, I don't see why OU basketball shouldn't be willing to as well.

If OU football can recruit JUCO's, I don't see why OU basketball shouldn't be willing to as well.
Bc Football and Basketball are two very different sports and bc the portal exists now.

It should only be used as a fallback if you want to compete with the big boys. Data shows that.

(Avoiding me at all costs now lol)

Back