MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

From 2 days ago...

Otega Oweh, Oklahoma

A powerful 6-foot-5 wing was pretty productive this past season as a sophomore. He averaged 11.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, while shooting 49.3% from the field and 37.7% from 3-point range. Oweh is the sort of athlete Utah needs on the perimeter in their move to the Big 12.

Heard From: Oregon, Illinois, BYU, Georgetown, Missouri, Wake Forest, Utah, Virginia Tech, Washington, Indiana, Xavier, LSU, and UCLA.

From 2 days ago...

Otega Oweh, Oklahoma

A powerful 6-foot-5 wing was pretty productive this past season as a sophomore. He averaged 11.4 points, 3.8 rebounds, while shooting 49.3% from the field and 37.7% from 3-point range. Oweh is the sort of athlete Utah needs on the perimeter in their move to the Big 12.

Heard From: Oregon, Illinois, BYU, Georgetown, Missouri, Wake Forest, Utah, Virginia Tech, Washington, Indiana, Xavier, LSU, and UCLA.
this is not surprising to me he is a high major level player ..

I will be surprised if he goes west ... I expect him to head east ..

It's about finding market inefficiencies. You are right, the talent pool isn't what it used to be. And a lot of bigger P5/P6 schools probably aren't looking at those players very carefully. But there are still multiple useable players every year, and a lot of them are playing JUCO ball in our backyard (Oklahoma, Kansas, and Texas). Nobody is saying we should recruit one every year. Nobody is saying we need a roster full of them. I (and others) are simply saying it is a resource we shouldn't ignore. I'd rather take a chance on a JUCO with two years, even if they sit the first, than a guy like Maks who was never going to contribute in a significant way. Same with Keita. JMO.

If OU football can recruit JUCO's, I don't see why OU basketball shouldn't be willing to as well.
Keita is a good comp, and we’d have been better off trying shorter term lottery tickets. No way we take Maks if he had two years to play, IMO. I think we took him because we had a spot and he’d be gone in a year.

I really feel like we’re gonna get Garrison. Maybe that’s just Friday optimism, idk.

I'm not sure my offseason fandom can recover if we miss out on him again. But missing out on 5s seems to be an annual occurrence, so I should brace myself.

From 2 days ago...

Otega Oweh, Oklahoma

This is why I always take the summaries of portal guys (and high school players) with a grain of salt. Everything in this is technically true -- those were his stats, and he is a good athlete. But anyone who has watched him knows that he is a terrible shooter, and that his production in Big 12 play was awful. Some guys are better than their stats, some are worse, and some just need a new system and a reset.

FWIW, the Lusk kid says Overton is one of the most underrated guys in the portal. I would guess he has watched little if any video on 90 percent of portalers, but it's probably just a matter of time before Overton and all the others seriously linked to OU get his "elite" label lol.

Bc Football and Basketball are two very different sports and bc the portal exists now.

It should only be used as a fallback if you want to compete with the big boys. Data shows that.

(Avoiding me at all costs now lol)
I watch a lot of MLB and I see that MLB clubs occasionally sign guys from the NPB in Japan.

If NPB players are good enough for the Dodgers, unclear why Porter is not actively recruiting the NPB.

/s

This is why I always take the summaries of portal guys (and high school players) with a grain of salt. Everything in this is technically true -- those were his stats, and he is a good athlete. But anyone who has watched him knows that he is a terrible shooter, and that his production in Big 12 play was awful. Some guys are better than their stats, some are worse, and some just need a new system and a reset.

FWIW, the Lusk kid says Overton is one of the most underrated guys in the portal. I would guess he has watched little if any video on 90 percent of portalers, but it's probably just a matter of time before Overton and all the others seriously linked to OU get his "elite" label lol.
I’m with you, although also agree that Oweh has skills that are more likely to be maximized in another system by another coach etc.

I feel that if KU really wants Garrison they will get him because they can outbid us. It's all about the Benjamins.
Agree if KU’s NIL offer is in another stratosphere but would assume KU’s offer is probably not pure “starter/showcase” type with Dickinson coming back and commanding so much.

From 2 days ago...

Otega Oweh, Oklahoma

The fakest shooting splits of all time

Agree if KU’s NIL offer is in another stratosphere but would assume KU’s offer is probably not pure “starter/showcase” type with Dickinson coming back and commanding so much.
If it's 100-200k more than we offer I don't see him turning it down. Lawrence isn't that far from home. Most rational people would not turn down that much money, but maybe it will be the same or less than what we can offer.

The fakest shooting splits of all time
All of the agreement here.

Oweh was Top 5 in the country in FG% if I remember correctly going into conference play? Very much inflated his numbers and he would be a G5 MVP on some teams. He will be a solid P5 bench spot. But, asking him to dribble and hit 3s, is much less likely at his next spot. Hopefully they can use him properly and fix his yips.

All of the agreement here.

Oweh was Top 5 in the country in FG% if I remember correctly going into conference play? Very much inflated his numbers and he would be a G5 MVP on some teams. He will be a solid P5 bench spot. But, asking him to dribble and hit 3s, is much less likely at his next spot. Hopefully they can use him properly and fix his yips.
I am definitely not an expert on shooting form, but it looks clear to me that he doesn't come close to jumping straight up on his shot. The whole thing just looks odd. He was close to 70 percent from 3 in noncon and then fell off a cliff.

From 2 days ago...

Otega Oweh, Oklahoma

That makes him seem like a really good get

Let that be a lesson for us when looking at our targets.

That makes him seem like a really good get

Let that be a lesson for us when looking at our targets.
And it works in different ways. I remember last year that a lot of comments about Jalon Moore were at BEST we got an athlete that could fill some minutes but really took a step back from a basketball standpoint because of what he did or didn't do at Georgia Tech. Some guys just don't fit the situation they are in and need a different voice or game plan etc.

Hopefully as others have said, Oweh goes to a more up and down style that wants to play the "40 minutes of hell" version of basketball because I personally think he'd be good in a system like that.

Just did a quick scourge of Trilly's discord for any Garrison comments, here is a synopsis (going off of keyword search):

Indiana fans wanted him (badly)
Kansas fans wanted him
Texas Tech fans wanted him (also want Uzan)
Cincy fans would not complain taking him
Kansas fans think/know he is good
OSU fans want to keep him
Villanova fans think he is a good fit for them
Texas fans asked if they would be in it? Still asking...
Kansas fans still want Garrison
Xavier fans asking if he is in play?
Kansas fans have him on wishlist
Kansas fans finally realize mins would be an issue
Tech may be out of it based on an unfollow (3/26)
UNC fans mention they like Garrison
Kentucky fans want/intrigued by Garrison

Timestamps
3/18 - OU was the early leader on
3/22 - Garrison waiting to see who OSU hires note
3/25 - Trilly continues to hear it is OU and KU front runners
3-27 - Kansas fans say RIP Garrison and it never made sense

Back