MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

So you don’t think it is, in fact, bad news that we whiff on every highly coveted visitor? Or that none of the guys we have signed is regarded by unbiased writers as top 200 guys? The news coming out of the program is negative. People aren’t out of line calling a spade a spade on an OU basketball message board.

Your post is 100% disingenuous. I even brought up the point that Miles was rated #71 in ON3’s ranking, but you like to pick and choose the source to fit your narrative. He was originally contacted by several top 20 teams, but you can’t admit it’s a great addition. Not sure what so magic about a top “200” either. There are over 1600 or players in the portal, but you pick some arbitrary number to lean on. What a way to look at things! Lol. Congrats to the 3 or 4 of you though. You’re dedicated to your craft.

Your post is 100% disingenuous. I even brought up the point that Miles was rated #71 in ON3’s ranking, but you like to pick and choose the source to fit your narrative. He was originally contacted by several top 20 teams, but you can’t admit it’s a great addition. Not sure what so magic about a top “200” either. There are over 1600 or players in the portal, but you pick some arbitrary number to lean on. What a way to look at things! Lol. Congrats to the 3 or 4 of you though. You’re dedicated to your craft.
You cited one ranking of one player. We have signed four guys. I am not picking and choosing -- far from it. I am going with the consensus, and you are the one choosing an outlier to spin our results favorably. We are a P5 program looking to replace basically every difference maker we had except Moore. We have all kinds of open roster spots to offer, yet, at best, have landed one guy who might be a true dude. How you can look at that and feel encouraged is beyond me.

And as far as the "3 or 4 of you," take a look at the number of people who like my posts. Three or four of us may be more vocal, but plenty of posters agree with us.

When Moser moves on, what prize will we give the poster who provided the most negativity? On a site that hasn't had any positivity since Selection Sunday, it takes a lot of work to stand out. If any positivity were to occur here, it might lead to disappointment, so it's important to pre-emptively stamp that out and never let this become a pleasant place to visit.

Samford F Achor Achor​

Intel: Achor Achor put his name in the portal right before it slammed shut. This likely increased his potential NIL value due to the scarcity of talented forwards like Achor. The 6-foot-9 junior averaged 16.1 points, 6.1 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game this past season, while shooting 58.6% from the field and 43.5% from three.

Auburn has hosted him on a visit, with schools like Oklahoma and Kansas State pushing to get into the mix. There’s also a chance he ends up returning to Samford.

New Mexico F JT Toppin​

Intel: New Mexico power forward JT Toppin, the Mountain West Rookie of the Year, was a late portal addition, but a really good one. The 6-foot-9 freshman averaged 12.4 points and 9.1 rebounds per game this season for the Lobos.

According to sources, Texas and Texas Tech are the current front runners. Schools like Oklahoma and TCU are also trying to get in the mix. Toppin is also going through the NBA Draft process.

Interesting to see us try and get in the Toppin mix but think he is a Texas 🔒

People commenting on the players we are/aren’t signing is 100 percent on topic in this thread. If you can’t handle that, you probably should reconsider whether to visit message boards.

And the “people disappear when things are going well” thing is so tired and inaccurate. But I guess it’s hard to know because in three seasons, things have never actually gone well for the program (and no, beating cupcakes in November and December doesn’t qualify as legitimately accomplishing anything).
It's very accurate, especially for one particular poster.

It’s all relative
You said he kept it. In fact, he's given away millions. Is that a small percentage of his total worth? Perhaps, but the same is true of virtually every wealthy person who makes philanthropic donations. And there are some rich people who give little or nothing and still others who pledge to give money but never actually deliver the funds and still others who use their foundations and charities to line their own pockets.

In any case, the idea (which I don't think anyone was taking very seriously) was that James might hypothetically donate the money for a new arena if his son were to play at OU. He could easily do that and he's shown he's willing to part with millions of dollars when he believes in a cause or project.

Last edited:
But I guess it’s hard to know because in three seasons, things have never actually gone well for the program (and no, beating cupcakes in November and December doesn’t qualify as legitimately accomplishing anything).

The most conference wins we've had since Buddy left is 9. We had 8 this year. The whole November-December cupcakes thing is such a tired and illegitimate narrative, as we didn't win any conference games in November. I'm not happy with the state of the program, and haven't been for a while, but this past year wasn't part of a downward spiral. It was on par with any season we've had since Buddy in 2015-2016. I get the complaints, but not from the most ardent Lon supporter in his final half-decade.

The most conference wins we've had since Buddy left is 9. We had 8 this year. The whole November-December cupcakes thing is such a tired and illegitimate narrative, as we didn't win any conference games in November. I'm not happy with the state of the program, and haven't been for a while, but this past year wasn't part of a downward spiral. It was on par with any season we've had since Buddy in 2015-2016. I get the complaints, but not from the most ardent Lon supporter in his final half-decade.
Buddy Hield played for OU? I had no idea. I wonder why no one has mentioned this before in attempting to pretend that every good season the program has had in the past 100 years was due solely to Buddy.

One thing is for sure...if Bronny came to OU, Lebron would be at the games = more attendance = more $.

Maybe Lebron laughs at our facilities and donates to get us a new arena? Maybe he doesn't.

But it would most certainly mean butts in seats.

Also, barring no additions to the starting lineup or improvements while also assuming Elvis starts over Goodine...

Last year starting lineup v. this year:
1715356378949.png

Average score:

56.1 v. 55.3 (borderline tournament starting 5)

One thing is for sure...if Bronny came to OU, Lebron would be at the games = more attendance = more $.

Maybe Lebron laughs at our facilities and donates to get us a new arena? Maybe he doesn't.

But it would most certainly mean butts in seats.
There are so many drastically different scenarios that could play out if Bronny came to OU. A national spotlight is guaranteed. Butts in seats, guaranteed. Potential for drama.... extremely high. Probability for success vs failure....50/50. Is it worth it..... unknown. But seems like a make or break decision for Moser if he went that direction .

Back