MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

NCAA getting what it deserves. And even now, they continue to make idiotic decisions, like denying the waiver for the Oregon player this morning.

I would imagine when the break away happens, and it’s coming, there will be rules put in place to prevent this sort of thing.

they should have done that ...

the next lawsuit will be why have limits on years ... why can't i stay in college and play basketball for 6 year or 10 ...
Should have done what? Deny eligibility to a guy who suffered two season-ending knee injuries and also lost part of a season because the ncaa dragged its feet on clearing him at the start of a season?

Like I said, if the ncaa had simply instituted common sense rules instead of treating athletes like crap for decades, we wouldn’t be in this situation. And I don’t believe for a second that all the doomsday scenarios will happen.

Should have done what? Deny eligibility to a guy who suffered two season-ending knee injuries and also lost part of a season because the ncaa dragged its feet on clearing him at the start of a season?

Like I said, if the ncaa had simply instituted common sense rules instead of treating athletes like crap for decades, we wouldn’t be in this situation. And I don’t believe for a second that all the doomsday scenarios will happen.
Athletes could have been treated like kings and we would still be at this same spot. All the NCAA did was hold back the flood gates for as long as it could.

Athletes could have been treated like kings and we would still be at this same spot. All the NCAA did was hold back the flood gates for as long as it could.
Nonsense. All the lawsuits started because players wanted to get some reasonable compensation for their NIL being used to sell jerseys and video games and make hundreds of millions of dollars off their work. There would have been no need for floodgates if the NCAA had acted reasonably and not fought common sense at every turn. Just think how ridiculous the old ways were -- athletes couldn't make a dime off their own NIL, AND couldn't even take a legitimate, paying job during the season.

Nonsense. All the lawsuits started because players wanted to get some reasonable compensation for their NIL being used to sell jerseys and video games and make hundreds of millions of dollars off their work. There would have been no need for floodgates if the NCAA had acted reasonably and not fought common sense at every turn. Just think how ridiculous the old ways were -- athletes couldn't make a dime off their own NIL, AND couldn't even take a legitimate, paying job during the season.
You can say it is nonsense all you want. Human nature has shown that people will always want more. If the NCAA allowed the things you wanted them to allow 25 years ago, we would be in the same spot we are today just sooner. You think agents and athletes would have stopped pushing for more or unlimited transfers just because the NCAA was nice and let them have jobs and make some coin?

I go back to...... Is compensation with a free education, room and board, food, etc., not enough? That equates to a considerable amount of money. So much so that most Non-Athlete/ scholarship students take years upon years to pay off the debt that they owe the University. But what do I know? I'm just an old school guy with an old school way of thinking and need to get into the new age where everybody's entitled to everything they think that they deserve.

I can get on board for royalties for things like video games and other non-university associated organizations. However, what that looks like I couldn't say.

I go back to...... Is compensation with a free education, room and board, food, etc., not enough? That equates to a considerable amount of money. So much so that most Non-Athlete/ scholarship students take years upon years to pay off the debt that they owe the University. But what do I know? I'm just an old school guy with an old school way of thinking and need to get into the new age where everybody's entitled to everything they think that they deserve.

I can get on board for royalties for things like video games and other non-university associated organizations. However, what that looks like I couldn't say.
In many cases, IMHO, no, that isn't enough. And one thing I think a lot of people don't know, or forget, is that in a lot of college sports, athletes are not getting anything close to a free education, let alone fully paid room and board. Baseball teams get 11.7 scholarships for the entire roster, which usually has 30+ players. Softball gets 12. Men's soccer gets 9.9. So lots of athletes are paying for a large chunk of their tuition.

But even for those on full ride, while that is obviously a huge benefit, it obviously isn't close to the value the most successful/highest profile athletes bring in for the schools/NCAA.

In many cases, IMHO, no, that isn't enough. And one thing I think a lot of people don't know, or forget, is that in a lot of college sports, athletes are not getting anything close to a free education, let alone fully paid room and board. Baseball teams get 11.7 scholarships for the entire roster, which usually has 30+ players. Softball gets 12. Men's soccer gets 9.9. So lots of athletes are paying for a large chunk of their tuition.

But even for those on full ride, while that is obviously a huge benefit, it obviously isn't close to the value the most successful/highest profile athletes bring in for the schools/NCAA.
you listed a bunch of sports that LOSE money .... those athlete are already getting WAY WAY more then their "fair" share

you listed a bunch of sports that LOSE money .... those athlete are already getting WAY WAY more then their "fair" share
It's collegiate sports. That so many Sooner fans seem to focus on which of OU teams make money and which don't seems so alien to me. I grew up cheering for the Sooners in every sport. It never even occurred to me to factor in whether or not they were profitable. To me, this is just one more illustration of how collegiate sports have changed for the worse.

The men's hoops team may have earned more money than the women (and the softball team, for that matter) the past three seasons, but both those teams brought me immensely more fun and joy over that span than men's team did. The idea that some are willing to dismiss those teams due to their profit margins boggles my mind. What an odd way to relate to college sports.

This is an honest question and in no way intended to be a slight. But how much revenue does the Name, Image & Likeness of athletes generate for sports that aren't in large part football and men's basketball realistically?

Are there video games for college baseball, softball, soccer, gymnastics, wrestling, etc? Yes, there's marketing and promotional material that has players on it, which I understand and would agree that those individual players could or should likely be entitled some level of compensation.

Yes OU softball is an exception and there are other exceptions across the NCAA as well. I'm not trying to argue that point.

This is an honest question and in no way intended to be a slight. But how much revenue does the Name, Image & Likeness of athletes generate for sports that aren't in large part football and men's basketball realistically?

Are there video games for college baseball, softball, soccer, gymnastics, wrestling, etc? Yes, there's marketing and promotional material that has players on it, which I understand and would agree that those individual players could or should likely be entitled some level of compensation.

Yes OU softball is an exception and there are other exceptions across the NCAA as well. I'm not trying to argue that point.
NIL doesn't generate anything for the sports. That money goes to the individual athlete.

lol ok so if a baseball player helps a team win a national championship, pays 2/3 of his tuition, isn’t allowed to work, and spends thousands of hours playing, practicing, training, and traveling, he is getting way more than he deserves? It’s amazing how many people on this board don’t give a crap about the athletes and just think of them as robots wearing their school colors.

Does your rationale apply to any other industry? If you worked for a company that didn’t turn a profit, should you not be paid?

Some of the highest NIL earners play lower profile sports. And as Steve notes, the money goes to the player, not the school. Obviously there can be an indirect benefit to the school if you are able to recruit and retain talented players who help you win, but the whole point of NIL is to put money in the players’ pockets.

Back