MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

It's collegiate sports. That so many Sooner fans seem to focus on which of OU teams make money and which don't seems so alien to me. I grew up cheering for the Sooners in every sport. It never even occurred to me to factor in whether or not they were profitable. To me, this is just one more illustration of how collegiate sports have changed for the worse.

The men's hoops team may have earned more money than the women (and the softball team, for that matter) the past three seasons, but both those teams brought me immensely more fun and joy over that span than men's team did. The idea that some are willing to dismiss those teams due to their profit margins boggles my mind. What an odd way to relate to college sports.
the discussion was in the context of lawsuits and revenue sharing ..

non revenue sport athletes .. don't have much of a case to get more money then they currently are ... that was the point

lol ok so if a baseball player helps a team win a national championship, pays 2/3 of his tuition, isn’t allowed to work, and spends thousands of hours playing, practicing, training, and traveling, he is getting way more than he deserves? It’s amazing how many people on this board don’t give a crap about the athletes and just think of them as robots wearing their school colors.

Does your rationale apply to any other industry? If you worked for a company that didn’t turn a profit, should you not be paid?
say hello to the straw man for me ..

and to the second part ... ... good luck asking for a raise ... which is what we are talking about

say hello to the straw man for me ..

and to the second part ... ... good luck asking for a raise ... which is what we are talking about
Not a straw man at all. You directly said that athletes in sports that lose money are already getting “way way” more than their fair share. All I did was point out how ludicrous that is by providing an example.

the discussion was in the context of lawsuits and revenue sharing ..

non revenue sport athletes .. don't have much of a case to get more money then they currently are ... that was the point
Fair enough. But I've seen other posts that were utterly dismissive--if not downright resentful--of any team that wasn't men's hoops or football and the money often gets mentioned.

As for the second part, that puts us right back on the profits track. Do the athletes in the revenue sports work harder than than ones in non-revenue sports. They don't, but they happen to compete in sports that's more popular. Jayda Coleman, to name just one of our great softball players, will be remembered more fondly and for much longer than any player who's competed for OU under Porter Moser. Who's more deserving of money--Coleman or Tanner Groves?

That's the problem with it being all about money now. Almost everything that used to matter--that used to be special about collegiate sports--is now thrown aside and the focus is basically entirely on money.

Some solid analysis:

Kobe ElvisOklahomaDaytonCHasn't proven to be able to handle full PG duties, hasn't been a great defender, and has gone through waves as a 3PT shooter. Not sure there's something he does great. It's a bit of a curious bet at the P5 level.
Brycen GoodineOklahomaFairfieldC+After three years of proving he was just not a P5 player, Goodine goes out and puts together a monster shooter season and is now a P5 player again. He was the MAAC's best O player per EM, but a real negative defensively. Probably going to have to be a bench guy.
Jadon JonesOklahomaLong BeachB+37% 3-point shooter on 558 attempts, and one of the best perimeter defenders in mid-major land. Sounds like the perfect role player for a P5 team. Good job by Oklahoma's scouting team to find a guy that can perfectly blend in as a role player.
Duke MilesOklahomaHigh PointBSpercial, special offensive season this year. Great driver of the basketball, and played far more under control as a PG. Decent size. The only issue is he was very inefficient at Troy before the monster campaign on a great HPU team. Was it more system than player?
Mohamed WagueOklahomaAlabamaBIs what he is at this point, outstanding rebounder and solid rim protector who takes great shots and finishes well at the rim, but commits an absurd amount of fouls and is really poor with the ball in his hands. Limited minutes because of how much bad there is with the good.

Unclear if this is what @StoopsBros shared earlier, but I can't remember

In many cases, IMHO, no, that isn't enough. And one thing I think a lot of people don't know, or forget, is that in a lot of college sports, athletes are not getting anything close to a free education, let alone fully paid room and board. Baseball teams get 11.7 scholarships for the entire roster, which usually has 30+ players. Softball gets 12. Men's soccer gets 9.9. So lots of athletes are paying for a large chunk of their tuition.

But even for those on full ride, while that is obviously a huge benefit, it obviously isn't close to the value the most successful/highest profile athletes bring in for the schools/NCAA.
Those sports aren’t making money. What value are the athletes really bringing in?

It's collegiate sports. That so many Sooner fans seem to focus on which of OU teams make money and which don't seems so alien to me. I grew up cheering for the Sooners in every sport. It never even occurred to me to factor in whether or not they were profitable. To me, this is just one more illustration of how collegiate sports have changed for the worse.

The men's hoops team may have earned more money than the women (and the softball team, for that matter) the past three seasons, but both those teams brought me immensely more fun and joy over that span than men's team did. The idea that some are willing to dismiss those teams due to their profit margins boggles my mind. What an odd way to relate to college sports.
Missing the point

Athletes want paid their fair share.
What is their fair share when it costs more to operate than what is brought in?

lol ok so if a baseball player helps a team win a national championship, pays 2/3 of his tuition, isn’t allowed to work, and spends thousands of hours playing, practicing, training, and traveling, he is getting way more than he deserves? It’s amazing how many people on this board don’t give a crap about the athletes and just think of them as robots wearing their school colors.

Does your rationale apply to any other industry? If you worked for a company that didn’t turn a profit, should you not be paid?
Guess how much minor league baseball players earn

And yes, if I worked for a company that didn’t earn a profit I would t get paid lol

Is this a serious question? Are you 8?

Bostyn HoltFlorida StateSouth DakotaFThis is it. This is the worst portal get of the offseason. How on earth do you evaluate a guy who was a non-factor at Utah, then one of the 10 worst players in the Summit per EM, and see him as a P5 guy. Hit his threes, but at an insanely low volume. Horrible defender. What on earth

Well hey, at least we didn't pick up this guy.

Missing the point

Athletes want paid their fair share.
What is their fair share when it costs more to operate than what is brought in?
I'm not missing the point. I'm saying things are way out of whack. Collegiate athletic departments are not for-profit operations; few of them even break even. If young athletes value big bucks over what a university has to offer--and I don't begrudge them feeling this way--let them go pro, if they can, and sincere good wishes to them.

I would favor stripping everything way down--capping what collegiate coaches can make, limiting what can be spent on facilities, etc. and keeping the athletes as close as possible to amateur status with a free education, housing, training, health care, etc. and a minimal stipend--to the track we're on now. Spending was out of control before NIL and the portal. Now, it's beyond ridiculous.

Bostyn HoltFlorida StateSouth DakotaFThis is it. This is the worst portal get of the offseason. How on earth do you evaluate a guy who was a non-factor at Utah, then one of the 10 worst players in the Summit per EM, and see him as a P5 guy. Hit his threes, but at an insanely low volume. Horrible defender. What on earth

Well hey, at least we didn't pick up this guy.

That looks like Wichita’s assessment of every player PM signed. 😂

And yes, if I worked for a company that didn’t earn a profit I would t get paid lol

There aren't any companies in the USA that have employees that aren't receiving pay.

There are lots of companies in the USA that don't turn a profit. LOTS.

I've been critical of the OU baseball program at times in recent years, but they are a decent example of what our basketball program needs to look like.

1. They have an identify. The "Chaos" theme on offense. Power pitching. They have an identify and they recruit to it.
2. They are consistent. And when you are consistent, it allows you to catch fire at the right time and make a run at something special. The OU baseball example of this was making the CWS Finals a couple of years ago. That wasn't the second best team in baseball, but they were for a short period of time. Being consistent enough to make the postseason, etc, gave them the opportunity to get hot.
3. Their teams are often great than the sum of their parts. Not a lot of super-star types. But it's generally a good, well-rounded team that plays hard for 9 innings each game.

I question whether you have even reached 8. All you do is respond to every one of my posts while never offering an original post or any info. You’ve now posted three replies to the same post.

There aren't any companies in the USA that have employees that aren't receiving pay.

There are lots of companies in the USA that don't turn a profit. LOTS.
The point is the company won’t be around long and hence you won’t get paid lol

Please tell me you weren't trying to say wouldn't.

In case you were, just know that the coaching staff doesn't have many volunteers.

As for the second part, that puts us right back on the profits track. Do the athletes in the revenue sports work harder than than ones in non-revenue sports. They don't

I'm going to strongly disagree with you here. While there are certainly outliers in every sport, the average football player is working much harder than the average baseball, golfer, soccer, or tennis player. I'm sure Jayda works hard, but I assure you that her fiancee is working harder.

Back