MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Maybe some of us would have been more aggressive than PM...that is fine. But I really don't have an issue with his strategy.
You have a limited budget with a lot of needs. Do you put all your NIL money in 1 or 2 players and fill the rest of the needs with below average players?
Do you go with an average approach of getting decent players with no star? Do you start early and extend many offers? Do you wait to see who all enters?
There are a lot of variables. Some kids that enter early and get offered may get turned off if you also offer someone else that enters later.

Each portal philosophy has it's own pros and cons and they are enhanced when dealing with a limited budget. I agree that we must have been given access to additional funds towards the end of the portal because there was a definite shift. I just don't htink it is right to judge how it was handled without 1. knowing all the info 2. not knowing the results of the season ahead of us.

I imagine PM was given a low budget and told to see what he could get with it. When it was apparent what the kids we were needing were asking, PM decided to let the dust settle and see what was out there based on the budget we had. I think you would have seen a much different strategy if PM had a larger budget early on

A lot of this goes back to the argument that ensued when coaches/schools were getting big bucks from shoe and equipment companies for their squads to wear their gear and the players weren't getting anything at the time.
Surprised schools are selling ad space on uniforms.

college football has been big business for at LEAST the last 40 years ..
Not like now. Not even close. Money was rarely discussed, and when it was, it was usually about how to fund this new facility or that one. Now it's a constant drumbeat of money talk--much more so than five years ago and a night-and-day difference from 10-20 years ago. I get bored to tears with all the focus on money on pro sports, but it hadn't poisoned college sports to NEARLY the same degree until recently--not even close. Now there's as much, if not more, focus on money in conversations about collegiate athletics as professional sports. It stinks on ice.

Not like now. Not even close. Money was rarely discussed, and when it was, it was usually about how to fund this new facility or that one. Now it's a constant drumbeat of money talk--much more so than five years ago and a night-and-day difference from 10-20 years ago. I get bored to tears with all the focus on money on pro sports, but it hadn't poisoned college sports to NEARLY the same degree until recently--not even close. Now there's as much, if not more, focus on money in conversations about collegiate athletics as professional sports. It stinks on ice.
money has been the driving force since 1983 at least ... just that the players were left out ..

money is why OU and UGA sued the ncaa in 83 ..

money is why the sec expanded and created the first Conf champ game

money is why the big 12 formed ..

money is why the college football alliance / BCS / playoff have been formed ..

money is why the big 12 fractured .. the pac died and and big and sec expanded again ..

money has been the driving force since 1983 at least ... just that the players were left out ..

money is why the big 12 fractured .. the pac died and and big and sec expanded again ..
I agree with this. Just because it is being talked about more publicly (because so many people don't like the fact that players can now make money) doesn't mean money wasn't being talked about and driving every important decision behind closed doors. People could bury their heads in the sand, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

We're talking about two very different things. Every item is your list was an important development--I'm not pretending they weren't--but I'm talking about college football--the games, the players, the coaches, the recruiting. Related? Undeniably, but I'm talking about the sport as it's played, coached and recruited, not backroom corporate machinations.

PM and Co botched the beginning of the portal window.

I'm not sure PM really botched the portal this year. He made mistakes in the portal early in his tenure -- probably due to being racist and offering too many white guys as WT astutely pointed out. Last year he played the portal to near-perfection, though. He was seemingly finding his way, but Selection Sunday made him a lame duck. I still think we'd be okay if we'd been selected. Not great, but okay. It's just so hard to pitch players and donors when you're 0-3 on postseasons. Would look much different if we were last team in 2/3 years instead of last team out.

Old news now but 'twas a busy day.

Duke is in OK.

1717747699125.png

------

Kaden Cooper tagged himself in....

1717747780516.png

1717747799015.png

Marshall Men's Basketball (@HerdMBB) / X

We're talking about two very different things. Every item is your list was an important development--I'm not pretending they weren't--but I'm talking about college football--the games, the players, the coaches, the recruiting. Related? Undeniably, but I'm talking about the sport as it's played, coached and recruited, not backroom corporate machinations.
they are very much related ... what i am talking about made administrators tv exec and coaches very very wealthy .. it just didn't make the players money ..

that was not going to last .. thus the lawsuits that the NCAA keeps losing over and over and over ..

Back