MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

A couple of comments:

1) If we're going to admit that we as fans don't have 1/100th of the information that coaches do, then we really shouldn't question ANYTHING they do. EVER. right? That would make for a very boring message board.

2) I still there is fault to find in Moser even if it's true that Cooper didn't have the right attitude to earn playing time. Who recruited Cooper? Moser. Evaluating what kind of person and those intangibles is part of what Moser is well-paid to do. That's part of recruiting. If he recruited a kid that literally didn't have the right attitude/work ethic the minute he stepped on campus, that is a miss by Moser.
I agree, it would be a boring place w/o opinions. In hindsight though, it looks like Cooper simply wasn't ready. Some lost their minds when Cooper entered the portal. Cooper was a top 75 recruit and held offers from several solid programs, so if PM did indeed miss on Cooper, than all these other coaches that would have gladly taken him out of HS would have done the same (He had offers from Bama, Uconn, KU, Texas, Gonzaga, Creighton, UCLA...to name a few). It certainly isn't a perfect science. Again, I wish it hadn't happened..but at this point, we lost Cooper and gained Nwankwo. I'm intrigued to see what he can bring to the table. He was a juco AA, but this isn't the same juco ball that I and many of you grew up witnessing. Back in the day, if you were a 1st team juco AA...you were well sought after. We'll see if his game can translate.

A couple of comments:

1) If we're going to admit that we as fans don't have 1/100th of the information that coaches do, then we really shouldn't question ANYTHING they do. EVER. right? That would make for a very boring message board.

2) I still there is fault to find in Moser even if it's true that Cooper didn't have the right attitude to earn playing time. Who recruited Cooper? Moser. Evaluating what kind of person and those intangibles is part of what Moser is well-paid to do. That's part of recruiting. If he recruited a kid that literally didn't have the right attitude/work ethic the minute he stepped on campus, that is a miss by Moser.
predictable response is predictable

A couple of comments:

The first point is the one that I always come back to. Every coach in the county knows/sees their players better/more often than any fan. That doesn’t make them right 100 percent of the time. All coaches are fallible. They all have blind spots. How many times, especially in pro sports, do we see a new coach come in and turn things around with the same roster, sometimes due to strategy, sometimes due to shaking things up and making lineup changes?

I always think of Austin Reaves. Everyone who saw him at OU, and now in the NBA, sees the can see his talent and athleticism and all around game. But at WSU, he played for a control freak who wanted him to be a spot-up shooter and little else. He was yanked just about every time he took a questionable shot or made a mistake. There is little chance he develops into anything close to the player he became had he not transferred and played for a coach who put the ball in his hands, gave him freedom, and lived with some mistakes. So does Gregg Marshall not deserve some criticism for his handling of him? I guess not … he saw him in practice, after all!

Reaves also had a big list of suitors who wanted him when he decided to transfer...so far Cooper hasn't seen that same demand. I LOVED AR at OU! One of my fav players for sure. I was one of the few who said he could be a back-up PG in the NBA, and several on here laughed at that! Well, I was sorta wrong, because he's proven to be much more than a backup.

I get your point, but who's to say that his role wouldn't have expanded had he stayed at WSU. I am certainly not taking up for Gregg Marshall..I couldn't stand that sotb, but player's roles can change year over year, so who knows.

Reaves also had a big list of suitors who wanted him when he decided to transfer...so far Cooper hasn't seen that same demand. I LOVED AR at OU! One of my fav players for sure. I was one of the few who said he could be a back-up PG in the NBA, and several on here laughed at that! Well, I was sorta wrong, because he's proven to be much more than a backup.

I get your point, but who's to say that his role wouldn't have expanded had he stayed at WSU. I am certainly not taking up for Gregg Marshall..I couldn't stand that sotb, but player's roles can change year over year, so who knows.
I agree somewhat, but Marshall's history shows he never would have given Reaves (or anyone) the freedom he had at OU. And I think AR has even said he left mainly because he wanted to expand his game and show that he was more than just a shooter. His role probably would have gotten a little bigger at WSU as older guys graduated, but he still would have been playing a very different role than he did at OU.

I agree, it would be a boring place w/o opinions. In hindsight though, it looks like Cooper simply wasn't ready. Some lost their minds when Cooper entered the portal. Cooper was a top 75 recruit and held offers from several solid programs, so if PM did indeed miss on Cooper, than all these other coaches that would have gladly taken him out of HS would have done the same (He had offers from Bama, Uconn, KU, Texas, Gonzaga, Creighton, UCLA...to name a few). It certainly isn't a perfect science. Again, I wish it hadn't happened..but at this point, we lost Cooper and gained Nwankwo. I'm intrigued to see what he can bring to the table. He was a juco AA, but this isn't the same juco ball that I and many of you grew up witnessing. Back in the day, if you were a 1st team juco AA...you were well sought after. We'll see if his game can translate.
My biggest issue with Cooper is that he is now ANOTHER, relatively highly rated HS recruit that has failed under Moser. We can argue/debate how much an Uzan or Oweh truly failed, but I think we all expected/wanted more. Both are gone. Cooper is gone. Add CJ Noland to that list. Those are all top 100 type prospects that didn't make 3 years in Norman, and under-achieved to varying degrees while at OU and under Moser. That is what is most concerning to me, regardless of the "why" behind it. OU is the type of program that is going to need recruits like that to have success if we're going to have anything that resembles a top 30 program consistently. And under Moser, they haven't (panned out).

BREAKING: Former UNLV forward Keylan Boone is expected to enter the transfer portal as a grad transfer, sources told @thefieldof68, and take advantage of the recent rule where the NCAA is providing an additional year to anyone deemed ineligible to compete any portion of season since the 2019-20 academic year. Boone, who averaged 12.7 points and 6.8 rebounds last season at UNLV, should be able to get the waiver despite attending the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament. Boone missed the first seven games a year ago before the NCAA made the decision to allow two-time transfers immediate eligibility.

I'll take him over Wague. Do it Moser!

They play totally different positions. Keylan is like 6'6"?? lol I'll pass, unless he want's to walk on.

They play totally different positions. Keylan is like 6'6"?? lol I'll pass, unless he want's to walk on.
Only mentioned Wague because he's the only addition who isn't in Norman, lol.

Boone isn't a center like you said, and it would be a little repetitive with Jalon, but I'd rather take Keylan, in any role, than Wague as a backup C. Realistic? No, we're stuck with Wague.

I guess this can put to rest if anyone is still wondering if KSU has a better NIL program than us.

So every team that signs a player automatically has a better NIL program than us?

This particular deal is a huge NIL package, I don't deny that. But it's oversimplifying things to suggest that every time a kid signs elsewhere, it means the school has better NIL.

So every team that signs a player automatically has a better NIL program than us?

This particular deal is a huge NIL package, I don't deny that. But it's oversimplifying things to suggest that every time a kid signs elsewhere, it means the school has better NIL.
Brother…. That class cost 5 million on the low end of estimates

Brother…. That class cost 5 million on the low end of estimates
Sure, but it also stands to reason that KSU fans/boosters/admin would be more willing to shell out big bucks after seeing the excitement and success Tang had in year one. They had a down year last season, but he still has proven he can win there. To the extent we are lagging in NIL funds, a big reason is that the current staff hasn't shown they can win or generate momentum and excitement. If Moser had taken us to the Elite 8 in year one, something tells me he would have had more money available for players the next year.

Back